Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

I just got into UVA. Literally in shock. Can't move. Must drink. So happy. Will most likely accept. This means that UVA might not make any more offers.

THANKS FOR ROOTING FOR ME GUYS!

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Congrats, buddy! I'm really happy for you.  :D

I just got into UVA. Literally in shock. Can't move. Must drink. So happy. Will most likely accept. This means that UVA might not make any more offers.

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Remember to wave this in Virginia Tech's face and tell them to suck it.

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Congrats!!!! I feel like we've stuck this thing out from the beginning! 

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Congrats!!!!! Over two months of waiting paid off. Now everyone still wait listed at UVA hates your guts :) That doesn't include me, fortunately. 

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Congratulations!

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

That is wonderful news, congrats! Enjoy celebrating, you deserve it.

Just got an offer from UW-M! I need advice on two things, and maybe you guys can help...

1) I still would rather go to UT, but I have to accept the offer to UW-M by noon tomorrow. I emailed the graduate coordinator at UT to inform her of this. In the event that they can't let me know by tomorrow morning, do you guys think I should accept UW-M? I've been told that I am top on the wait-list at UT and "very, very" likely to get an offer. But I don't want to turn down a good offer for the uncertainty of another offer.

2) Should I start drinking tonight, or wait until I have certain news from UT?

-- EDIT --

I just got an email from the admissions chair at UT, who told me that I am "legally entitled to have until 5pm" to make a decision; if I am forced to make a decision before noon, and UT makes me an offer before 5pm, then I am legally entitled to turn down Wisconsin after accepting their offer and go to UT. Hopefully he's right!

Edited by zblaesi

Just got an offer from UW-M! I need advice on two things, and maybe you guys can help...

1) I still would rather go to UT, but I have to accept the offer to UW-M by noon tomorrow. I emailed the graduate coordinator at UT to inform her of this. In the event that they can't let me know by tomorrow morning, do you guys think I should accept UW-M? I've been told that I am top on the wait-list at UT and "very, very" likely to get an offer. But I don't want to turn down a good offer for the uncertainty of another offer.

-- EDIT --

I just got an email from the admissions chair at UT, who told me that I am "legally entitled to have until 5pm" to make a decision; if I am forced to make a decision before noon, and UT makes me an offer before 5pm, then I am legally entitled to turn down Wisconsin after accepting their offer and go to UT. Hopefully he's right!

That's a tough call with no clear answer. I say you should take the Wisconsin offer if UT doesn't respond in time. UW is a fantastic program and you'd be in good shape if you went there. You can do worse than study with Shafer-Landau.

Plus, as did happen to a friend of mine, if Texas burns through their wait list, perhaps they'll need to accept some folks (like me) they originally rejected! ;) 

That's a tough call with no clear answer. I say you should take the Wisconsin offer if UT doesn't respond in time. UW is a fantastic program and you'd be in good shape if you went there. You can do worse than study with Shafer-Landau.

Plus, as did happen to a friend of mine, if Texas burns through their wait list, perhaps they'll need to accept some folks (like me) they originally rejected! ;)

It has been a really tough choice, and as much as I want to work with Shafer-Landau, I feel UW-M could eventually be a bad fit for me. I'm becoming increasingly interested in philosophy of language, and UW-M seems to offer very little support in that area, whereas UT has amazing faculty in both language and epistemology. Having said that, if I end up going to UW-M, I'll probably be happy regardless.

Edited by zblaesi

It has been a really tough choice, and as much as I want to work with Shafer-Landau, I feel UW-M could eventually be a bad fit for me. I'm becoming increasingly interested in philosophy of language, and UW-M seems to offer very little support in that area, whereas UT has amazing faculty in both language and epistemology. Having said that, if I end up going to UW-M, I'll probably be happy regardless.

I'd wait it out for UT. You're in a better position than I am to know the odds of getting an offer, but if you strongly prefer Texas over UW-M, I think it's worth the risk. Of course, this depends on how worried you are about the possibility of missing out on all your offers. 

Regardless, I'd love to see you get Texas!

-- EDIT --

CONGRATS!

I was at the prospective visit weekend at Wisconsin, and if you want to chat about the program, do feel free to PM me.

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Congratulations! If you do glean any information about the rest of the waitlist in your correspondences, will you let us know please?

-- EDIT --

Just a note: PhD programs aren't out to fuck you over. Let UW-M know your status, that you'd like to accept, but that you'd like to withdraw your acceptance (whatever the university procedure for that is) if you do find yourself admitted to UT in the next day or so.

THANK YOU BASED GOD!!!!!

Congratulations! (Out of up votes though).

Mind if I ask you what the expression "based god" means? I've seen a facebook friend use it before and it baffled me...

Congratulations! (Out of up votes though).

Mind if I ask you what the expression "based god" means? I've seen a facebook friend use it before and it baffled me...

It's a reference to Lil B, the rapper, who is the "based God" because he's so swag. He's a weird guy, and its hard to explain to people that don't know lil B. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Based%20God  for more explanation.

Congratulations! If you do glean any information about the rest of the waitlist in your correspondences, will you let us know please?

If I find out anything I will post it, for sure.

As one of the top alternatives for UVA (and as difficult it is for me to say this), I just received an email from Paul Humphreys that they will not be accepting anyone else off their waitlist. They have their class of 5 for this admissions cycle. 

-- EDIT --

Congrats!! I think that might be a good idea to let Wisconsin know that you are waiting for another offer, but that you will very likely accept. It's probably easier to get a release from a school than it is to get an offer you've turned down.

I've been holding onto hope that Purdue would swoop in at the last moment and perform a daring rescue, taking me away from the cold lonely remnants of wait-list land. It seems as though it is not to be.

Geaux Tigers!