Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

So I posted this elsewhere, but I think this thread is probably the right place: I heard this afternoon that it is likely that I will receive an offer from Madison. However, at this point I am leaning toward Penn. Nothing official, but just thought I'd let people know that it's likely that I will not be competing for a Madison spot if I get an offer.

Though far from conclusive, one thing that really made me hesitant about Madison (aside from the ginormous teaching load!) is the stingey stipend. Combined with other fees, it really is a pitance. I don't want to be taking out loans to get my PhD. This is 100% the fault of Scott Walker (the abhorrant governor of WI) cutting the UW system's budget. So I don't blame the department, but I do think I'm going to let them know that monetary issues are a factor in my decision-making.

So I posted this elsewhere, but I think this thread is probably the right place: I heard this afternoon that it is likely that I will receive an offer from Madison. However, at this point I am leaning toward Penn. Nothing official, but just thought I'd let people know that it's likely that I will not be competing for a Madison spot if I get an offer.

Though far from conclusive, one thing that really made me hesitant about Madison (aside from the ginormous teaching load!) is the stingey stipend. Combined with other fees, it really is a pitance. I don't want to be taking out loans to get my PhD. This is 100% the fault of Scott Walker (the abhorrant governor of WI) cutting the UW system's budget. So I don't blame the department, but I do think I'm going to let them know that monetary issues are a factor in my decision-making.

Yeah I too noticed Madison's stingy stipend. Pretty brutal. Unless they have a ton of other opportunities for other funding through grants and so on, it would seem pretty difficult -- even for a grad student -- to live on that without going into a bit of debt. 

Yeah I too noticed Madison's stingy stipend. Pretty brutal. Unless they have a ton of other opportunities for other funding through grants and so on, it would seem pretty difficult -- even for a grad student -- to live on that without going into a bit of debt. 

Right now, Texas is my top-choice, but its funding seems similar to Wisconsin's. Am I missing something? Or does Texas just have bad funding, too?

Edited by zblaesi

My head is about to explode having as I wait to hear back from UW-milwaukee about the funding wait list!!!

how are you supposed to get anything else done during this?!  :wacko:

In my experience... you don't.

Honestly, if I ever had my doubts about whether or not choose Madison, it was due to the funding situation. FWIW, I decided that the placement record at Madison (which is fairly impressive!) more than makes up for the funding--a few years into a tenure-track job, I don't believe the years I spent frugally as a grad student will bother me much. Additionally, none of the current graduate students I spoke with have had to take out loans in order to get by on the stipend.

I'm not sure if this helps you at all with your decision making process, and no doubt UPenn is an excellent program as well. At any rate, those were my considerations. Good luck with your decision!

Thanks for the info, that's actually very helpful to hear! And yes, Madison does have a kick-ass placement record, and Madison's cost of living is pretty low. If I get a formal offer, I'll have some very serious--and very fast--thinking to do!

My head is about to explode having as I wait to hear back from UW-milwaukee about the funding wait list!!!

how are you supposed to get anything else done during this?!  :wacko:

I'm in the same boat. I've been admitted to Mizzou, but am only on the waiting list for funding (very high but still). I've been stressing out non-stop for the past two weeks. 5 more days...