Princeton 2014

Bleep_Bloop

Hey LKS! Haven't committed yet, but I'm thinking of accepting an offer in CS (PhD). I was a local student in undergrad, such that I never had the chance ( :-Pof living in dorm housing. I may apply for a single room in GC for the first year, but I would also be interested in hearing advice (housing or otherwise) from current students.

Edited by gorki

Cool! I spent most of my undergrad in dorms and while I have fond memories, the idea of going back to the lifestyle after a period of independent living isn't very appealing (mostly the idea of having to share a bathroom with a floor of people and having to eat in a cafeteria). But I've committed (to a phd program, if that makes any difference in the housing process?) and can only hope for the best in the housing lottery, since I was told that off-campus living isn't really an option.

Hey Manifestin,

Congratulation on the fellowship! I will be attending the computer science visit day next week (5-6), although that might be distinct from the mech-a engineering one. Aren't you two afraid of missing out on the student community ( :rolleyes:) by living out of GC? 

Hey Manifestin,

Congratulation on the fellowship! I will be attending the computer science visit day next week (5-6), although that might be distinct from the mech-a engineering one. Aren't you two afraid of missing out on the student community ( :rolleyes:) by living out of GC? 

Thanks, gorki! I will be on campus actually on March 13-14 for MAE visit day. I plan to live in GC since it is part of the conditions of the offer for residency requirement. But, I will get to see my family during the weekends!

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't the residency requirement just mean that you have to live on campus/in the Princeton area, not necessarily in the GC?

Either way, I've committed and applied for housing in the Old Graduate College…I suppose it's worth putting up with cafeteria food for a year in order to meet more people outside my department. 

Doesn't the residency requirement just mean that you have to live on campus/in the Princeton area, not necessarily in the GC?

Either way, I've committed and applied for housing in the Old Graduate College…I suppose it's worth putting up with cafeteria food for a year in order to meet more people outside my department. 

I also applied to the old GC. I am sure I may see you around on campus!

I also applied to the old GC. I am sure I may see you around on campus!

Are the old GC supposed to be nicer than the new one? From the floor plans it looked like the old GC rooms were smaller (10 by 10). I also couldn't find pictures of what the rooms look like - if anyone has some please do share!

Are the old GC supposed to be nicer than the new one? From the floor plans it looked like the old GC rooms were smaller (10 by 10). I also couldn't find pictures of what the rooms look like - if anyone has some please do share!

Depends on your style. I went to visit and the Old GC looked more beautiful to me.....like a cathedral, gothic architecture, etc.... the kind of things I like to look at! :D

The bathrooms are also more private in the old GC... In the new GC you share a bathroom with ~8 people, in the old GC you only share a bathroom with your roommate, if you have one.

I thought most of the dorms are singles? Does that mean you get your own bathroom?

This is what I understood from the housing website, so if anyone has more accurate info then call me out, but...to my knowledge the new GC only has singles. The old GC is all suites...that includes single, double, triple, and quads (although the majority are singles and doubles I think...) Each suite has its own bathroom. So if you're lucky enough to get a single suite then you have your own bathroom. A double suite is two single rooms that share a bathroom (and a study, I think). Triple has three single rooms that share a bathroom, etc.

This is what I understood from the housing website, so if anyone has more accurate info then call me out, but...to my knowledge the new GC only has singles. The old GC is all suites...that includes single, double, triple, and quads (although the majority are singles and doubles I think...) Each suite has its own bathroom. So if you're lucky enough to get a single suite then you have your own bathroom. A double suite is two single rooms that share a bathroom (and a study, I think). Triple has three single rooms that share a bathroom, etc.

This is correct [edit: except for each suite having their own bathroom, see link]. More information on the different rooms in old GC is available (might be outdated, I haven't found the list for 2008 onwards) at http://www.princeton.edu/~gchouse/roomdraw/2007/ogctable.html  .

Edited by gorki

• 1 month later...

Hey LKS,

Looking at previous Meet  & Greet threads, people seemed to start reporting incoming draw results around mid-June. I also remember reading somewhere on Pton's website that housing contracts would be sent to us early July.

Good luck!

Hey LKS,

Looking at previous Meet  & Greet threads, people seemed to start reporting incoming draw results around mid-June. I also remember reading somewhere on Pton's website that housing contracts would be sent to us early July.

Good luck!

Interesting-- it says here on the grad. housing website that we were supposed to get contracts by the end of May: https://hres.princeton.edu/graduates/my-housing/apply-housing

But I guess no one else has been emailed about a contract/offer yet so we shouldn't worry? I wish they notified us sooner rather than later so that we know if we got assigned furnished or unfurnished housing :/

I recently contacted Graduate Housing and they said to keep a look out for an email.

I'm hoping to score a room in the Old Graduate College. I've also been accustomed to living independently, but it's not often one gets a chance to live in a castle-like building. 

Did they give you any hint as to when we might hear? I have to be on campus at the end of July, and am pretty keen to know where I'll be living.

Did they give you any hint as to when we might hear? I have to be on campus at the end of July, and am pretty keen to know where I'll be living.

"We are still making placements for incoming students. Please continue to check your Princeton email frequently for an offer. You will have 7 days to accept or reject it after you receive it."

Just received my contract, a 2 rooms single in NGC. Would've preferred OGC, but as I understand little to no incomings get OGC so I'll will most likely accept the offer.

As a precision to my previous post, I would've preferred a room with a private bath in the OGC, but as discussed there are very few of those and they are often retained or otherwise given to second year students.

I'd be interested in hearing where other incoming students have been placed (or if they are still waiting for it).

edit: I sent a message to gradhousing asking how two rooms singles were furnished and will post the info here when I get it.

Edited by gorki