How do you feel about PBR?

FestivusMiracle

I feel like this thread is full of people who just hear stories about PBR instead of actually experiencing PBR. It won a blue ribbon for christ's sake! That being said, I don't think that pbr is a "hipster" thing since most people call anyone with thick dark glasses a hipster. I enjoy it because its 1 dollar. it's really hard to complain for 1 dollar.

Until you wake up the next day and that malty syrup is still being digested in your stomach. Stuff is like liquid cement.

I'd rather pay several dollars more for better beer.  There are two craft breweries here that have WAY better beer for about $3,.50 or $4.00 a pint.  Why bother with crappy beer? And honestly, when I go out for a nice meal (which is rare on my budget), I choose to go to places that have a REAL craft beer selection.  No, Sam Adams is not craft beer.  It's not terrible but it's not craft beer, chain restaurants!

And no, we aren't in Michigan.  There is one school that my BF and I would love for me to get offered from next year in MIchigan (I heard rumors) based on it's location to Bell's and Founder's.  We're all the way over here in BFM (the M is Missouri) and while we have great local brews nearby, my hometown now has like 4 craft breweries (an hour east of Chicago) and it would be nice to be close to where all the action in in Michigan.  It would also be nice to have ACTUAL shopping.

And I will tell him about that other IPA.  He will likely be interested.

I'm a beer snob dating a beer snob who also brews and I can tell you that NO ONE we know would drink PBR willingly if there was anything "better" and certainly none of us would call it "good" beer.  That said, it's beer.  It does the trick and there may be no other choices.

RE: Guinness is a "good" beer.  Not a "great" beer and certainly not "great" for the price.  I sometimes get a hankering for it. I did last night when I picked up a sixer.  It tastes the same every time.  That said, it's not the best stout on the market by a long shot.  Currently, if I get to choose, I go for Bell's Expedition Stout or a Young's Chocolate Stout if beer is your favorite dessert.  Both of those are harder to find and more expensive but Stouts are my drink of choice.  Similarly priced to Guinness is Nitro.  I would choose Nitro over Guinness most days because it's just a better beer.  But sometimes, I just really feel like a Guinness.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of stouts that have beer-like carbonation are often placed in the same category as nitro-Guinness.  To me, they are completely, completely different and hard to compare directly.  I'm assuming the Nitro beer you mention is a nitro beer, but are the other stouts "nitro" beers as well?  I rarely can find other nitro beers, besides Murphy's and in one place I lived they had this sort of orange cream nitro can thing, can't remember what brand, and I never tried it.  Ultimately I think the reason I'm so high on Guinness is the nitrogen, and the fact that it was the first nitro beer I tried.  The only other one I've tried was Murphy's, and it's pretty damn good as well. 

I'd rather pay several dollars more for better beer.  There are two craft breweries here that have WAY better beer for about $3,.50 or $4.00 a pint.  Why bother with crappy beer? And honestly, when I go out for a nice meal (which is rare on my budget), I choose to go to places that have a REAL craft beer selection.  No, Sam Adams is not craft beer.  It's not terrible but it's not craft beer, chain restaurants!

And no, we aren't in Michigan.  There is one school that my BF and I would love for me to get offered from next year in MIchigan (I heard rumors) based on it's location to Bell's and Founder's.  We're all the way over here in BFM (the M is Missouri) and while we have great local brews nearby, my hometown now has like 4 craft breweries (an hour east of Chicago) and it would be nice to be close to where all the action in in Michigan.  It would also be nice to have ACTUAL shopping.

And I will tell him about that other IPA.  He will likely be interested.

How do you define craft beer?  To me, Sam Adams puts out a huge variety of different and interesting beers.  It seems like you don't put them in the craft category simply because they are a bigger brand.  

Were you one of those people who really liked Kings of Leon before they became popular in the U.S.?  lol, and no offense.  

As an aside, just because I got all excited about the title: I love Pro Bull Riding PBR. Fan Club member, I go to as many Built Ford Tough Series & Touring Pro events as I can (along with general rodeos), I have a shirt full of signatures from various riders I got to meet on the dirt, & I even participate in fantasy PBR (yes, it's really a thing!). Okay. End fangirling.

To be on topic, though: I think Pabst Blue Ribbon PBR is okay. I prefer its taste to green & clear bottle beers (Heineken, Corona, etc.), but there are other cheap beers I like better (Coors, mostly). My S.O. & I usually get cases of PBR or Miller Lite (his drink, not mine!) to keep around the house. As far as reliably cheap beers go, I prefer PBR to other cheap &/or light beers, but if price isn't an issue, I prefer better stuff.

Fantasy pro bull riding?  I am somewhat shocked that this exists.  But any fantasy individual sport makes more sense than fantasy football, baseball, and other collective sports.  

Do you feel odd at these events, considering you're in graduate school?  I knew some rodeo types growing up, and while I think most of them would look down on graduate school, they were all pretty intelligent.  

It used to be all my SO would drink. Like.... Really. Now she discovered rolling rock, which is almost as cheap but 10x better.

I'm still a beer snob. I prefer our locally brewed beers first. I'm trying to make myself like cheap beer, but I just can't.

On the topic of hipsters, SO is a hipster (sort of), but drank pbr before the hipsters claimed it. Does that make her the original hipster?

Rolling Rock....just realized I don't think I have ever actually tried this beer, and I never realized it was a "cheap" beer.  I always thought of it as a sort of American Heineken (I'm assuming it's American).  But yeah, I definitely need to try it now, because I see it everywhere!

As for your question, I feel like hipsters have been drinking PBR for a long time, so I'm not sure I buy your argument that she drank it before hipsters "claimed it."  Did she drink it like, I don't know, pre-2008?  If so, then maybe.  Or maybe she is just a hipster with bad taste in beer.  

Where do you all live that you find beers for $1 (PBR/cheap) to $3.50 (craft/better quality)? Living near NYC (and by near I mean 30 minutes by non subway commuter railroad) I'd be happy to find 5 dollars a drink for anything other than Budlight. I am talking bars only of, course. 

My first beer.  I was at a party shortly after turning 21, so my friends were naturally telling everyone I turned 21 just a couple weeks before.  I was told of the "glory of Pabst" from my friend's fiance and his friend.  They told me a story about how they once got caught up in a fierce bidding war for a Pabst folding chair.  They didn't win the chair.  They then, of course, passed me one and strongly encouraged me to partake in the "glorious nectar."

It wasn't very good.

[Later that night, a group of party-goers, including an off-duty trooper, were trying to convince me to do "just one shot" of Jager or however it's spelled.  The truth is, I don't like drinking too much, especially things that don't taste good (I can usually have one mixed drink and I'm content and don't want any more)! The Pabst was unpleasant enough!  So, they kept heckling me, and I broke down, dissolving into tears in front of them.  Everyone, including Mr. trooper, immediately changed their tune and were all very apologetic about trying to force me to drink. Pretty embarrassing, but they stopped pestering me!]

I, too, have experienced the peer pressure involved with alcohol.  I pretty much always give in if someone calls me out.  It's a flaw, no doubt.  But it's usually an easy decision since I love alcohol. 

BUT, I will say, in the last year or so I've been able to resist taking shots on numerous occasions.  Whisky will make me do some dumb stuff!

Deadspin ranked 36 cheap beers: http://deadspin.com/36-cheap-american-beers-ranked-638820035

At one point, I drank PBR. I will say that of its three forms (draft, can, glass bottle), the bottle is the tastiest (which, tbh, is not saying much), though the rarest. Used to have it for $1/bottle at a lunch spot where I did my MA, making it cheaper than a fountain soda.

Overworkedta and I seem to have similar tastes in beer. The Bell's Double Cream Stout is delicious. I'd list all the beer I currently have but, I buy singles a lot so I have wide variety. Some favorites include Big Sky's Cowboy Coffee Porter, Lugene Milk Stout, and Sierra Nevada Narwhal Stout. I've become quite attuned to beers you can buy for $1-$1.50 at the store, so I tend to go for those rather than the truly cheap beers because there's not a huge price difference given the volume I drink (as in, buying 30 cans for $15.99 doesn't matter because it'd take me weeks to drink all those cans anyway).

Also, when did the hipsters give up Tecate and move on to PBR? I totally used to drink Tecate with a lime during my MA because they were a buck a can during happy hour.

I tried Tecate a while back.  I really wanted to like it because Anthony Bourdain seems to think it's good, but honestly I thought it kinda sucked.  Maybe I'll give it another go sometime soon.  

I'm riding the Nugget Nectar wave right now. Though I am an IPA fan mostly, I pretty much focus in like a cheetah hunting its prey when late February and March rolls around. Pennsylvania is lucky to have such a strong craft brew boom going right now with Troegs, Weyerbacher, Victory, and Yards easily accessible nearly everywhere. 

Bells is a great brewery. Two Hearted Ale is one of my favorites and a regular staple of my liquid diet.

I've never heard of any of these beers.  You are officially a beer snob haha 

OK, so I drank two PBRs (with lime added) while replying to several of your posts.  My final conclusion on PBR is that it is:

A shitty beer.  

However, the addition of lime makes it more than tolerable, and at about 50 cents per can at Wal-Mart, it is a great beer to take to a party if you want to get very drunk on beer.  As someone who started out drinking cheap beer in large quantities, I could easily put down 8 or 9 PBRs in a night if I were so inclined.  In fact, I did this last weekend, before starting this thread.  With that said, if I'm gonna drink an adjunct lager or something like it, I strongly prefer Dos Equis, especially if it's on draft.  It's about twice the price of PBR, but I think ultimately it is probably worth it, especially if you are not planning on drinking many beers (which normally I don't; last weekend was an exception to the rule).  

Thanks for all the replies, and feel free to keep them coming.  This has been a fun thread.  

Fantasy pro bull riding? I am somewhat shocked that this exists. But any fantasy individual sport makes more sense than fantasy football, baseball, and other collective sports.

Do you feel odd at these events, considering you're in graduate school? I knew some rodeo types growing up, and while I think most of them would look down on graduate school, they were all pretty intelligent.

It really does exist! It's really like 2 fantasy leagues: one for the riders, one for the bills. As for feeling weird, I remember being 3 or 4, and deciding I wanted to be a "cowboy," even though I was a little girl in an NYC suburb. No idea where it came from, but I've always had a soft spot for all things western. PBR has its season opener at Madison Square Garden, so I got into it that way. My S.O. grew up surrounded by ranches and cowboys, so it's nice to have someone who enjoys it, too. I just love the sport, and all the rowdy, no-frills fun in beautiful (more often than not) places; it balances the grad school intellectualism and seriousness nicely.

I tasted PBR on a date I thought it was gross. It seems really strong, but I'm not a big beer drinker. I like Budlight limes, and I tried Guinness which I actually kind of liked because it wasn't super carbonated, and it had a coffee after taste. I want to try to like beer, I have tried pumpkin beer which was good, and they have some craft beers that sound good. I just lie sweet drinks so beer isn't my first choice but if there's nothing else I will drink it. I'm more of a wine girl.

I tasted PBR on a date I thought it was gross. It seems really strong, but I'm not a big beer drinker. I like Budlight limes, and I tried Guinness which I actually kind of liked because it wasn't super carbonated, and it had a coffee after taste. I want to try to like beer, I have tried pumpkin beer which was good, and they have some craft beers that sound good. I just lie sweet drinks so beer isn't my first choice but if there's nothing else I will drink it. I'm more of a wine girl.

I always knew it was a fake person, and finally the truth reveals itself.

How do you define craft beer?  To me, Sam Adams puts out a huge variety of different and interesting beers.  It seems like you don't put them in the craft category simply because they are a bigger brand.  

Were you one of those people who really liked Kings of Leon before they became popular in the U.S.?  lol, and no offense.  

I define craft as < 2 million barrels a year.  Sam Adams is over that.  I don't think it is the "best" beer around but it's plenty good.  Not craft beer, though.  And I still have a bone to pick with them over seasonals and variety packs because they almost always include nuts.  I have a nut allergy, so neither my boyfriend or I could drink the Pecan or Hazelnut, leading to a WASTE of beer.  That said, I just vote with my feet and don't buy them when we are going to get a sampler of something.  If they are the "best" thing on tap, that's fine, I guess.  But they aren't big into stouts and porters, which is what I look for.  I define less than 2 million barrels as a craft beer (as do many).

And no, I didn't hate KoL for becoming "big" in the U.S. despite listening to them YEARS before because I've been listening to British radio since high school and was living in the UK when they became famous.  Although, it didn't help them that the SAME songs were played over and over.  I still like their new stuff.  My ex-BF, an actual hipster and beer snob extroadinaire hated them for that reason, though, haha.  So, I get why you may say that.

I looked up the Dark Horse Brewing co and they are a hop skip and a jump from my parents' place. The BF and I will be hitting them up on our next trip back to my parents', methinks.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems like a lot of stouts that have beer-like carbonation are often placed in the same category as nitro-Guinness.  To me, they are completely, completely different and hard to compare directly.  I'm assuming the Nitro beer you mention is a nitro beer, but are the other stouts "nitro" beers as well?  I rarely can find other nitro beers, besides Murphy's and in one place I lived they had this sort of orange cream nitro can thing, can't remember what brand, and I never tried it.  Ultimately I think the reason I'm so high on Guinness is the nitrogen, and the fact that it was the first nitro beer I tried.  The only other one I've tried was Murphy's, and it's pretty damn good as well. 

They are really different but some just have a better "flavor" quality or mouth feel.  You are really right in that it's hard to compare an imperial (like the Expedition) to a traditional nitro stout.  I just bought  a traditional double Schafly's  irish stout at the store (so good) and while it's not a nitro, it is a good bridge between the Expedition or Double-Cream stout Bell's makes and the Guinness people so love this time of year.  It's not a nitro beer but drinks more like one and is is very, very good.  Limited release, though, and only in the STL-area and close surrounding places.  I hate the Schafly poliitcal message, but this is a very good beer.

There are other nitro beers out there. For example, Left Hand does both their regular milk stout and a nitro milk stout. You could buy both and compare! (Note: I have actually done this at a beer tasting and it was pretty interesting.)

There are other nitro beers out there. For example, Left Hand does both their regular milk stout and a nitro milk stout. You could buy both and compare! (Note: I have actually done this at a beer tasting and it was pretty interesting.)

Nitro stouts (& others) are awesome! I wish I had the vaguest clue about the "beer science" behind Nitro vs. regular carbonation.

Nitro stouts (& others) are awesome! I wish I had the vaguest clue about the "beer science" behind Nitro vs. regular carbonation.

http://youtu.be/qNBTygWcy0s

This is a really cool thing the BF showed me about Guinness. It's why I got a hankering for it again I think! Tonight I had Schafly Irish style stout.

http://youtu.be/qNBTygWcy0s

This is a really cool thing the BF showed me about Guinness. It's why I got a hankering for it again I think! Tonight I had Schafly Irish style stout.

Well now I'm gonna have to pick up a 4-pack of cans the next time I go to the store. It's been too long since I've had Guinness. Funny how a thread about PBR led to this...

Well now I'm gonna have to pick up a 4-pack of cans the next time I go to the store. It's been too long since I've had Guinness. Funny how a thread about PBR led to this...

Hahaha, yes.  Never crave PBR but man did I crave some Guinness!

I've never heard of any of these beers.  You are officially a beer snob haha 

Thats ok with me lol. Seriously if you haven't tasted Troegs Nugget Nectar do yourself a favor and splurge on a  6 pack. I promise you won't regret it.

They're very hard to find outside of beer festivals and big tasting events but if you like beer on nitro taps you would love it out of a firkin. What they do is put the beer in a mini-cask without outside carbonation and it gives you awesome taste and texture that you can't find anywhere else. The downside is that they have a super short shelf life which is partially why they're so rare.