NPSIA 2014 Fall Applicants

lahdeedah

I have a lot of volunteer work that involves research, and reasonable grades. Other than that I am not quite sure.

I believe all three of my references ranked me high on the question of whether or not I would be a good fit as a TA.

Thank you ^^ ! I am just wondering because I've been a TA in my BA and had really great references. I hope I'll get opportunities on more funding !

btw Congrats on both your offers !

Edited by marika287

Hi Everyone!

Congrats to all who have been accepted!

I am still waiting to hear back at all from them. I'm assuming this means that I have been waitlisted. Is anyone else who is not an international student in the same boat as me?

Thankfully, I have been accpeted to UOttawa for Globalization and International Development, but it would be nice to hear back from NPSIA soon.

Thank you ^^ ! I am just wondering because I've been a TA in my BA and had really great references. I hope I'll get opportunities on more funding !

btw Congrats on both your offers !

@marika (and everyone else who has been talking about funding here), apparently there are more funding opportunities in-program,from both NPSIA and Carleton.  These are ones where you get into financial need, etc.  So there's still some funding to hopefully look forward to!

@marika (and everyone else who has been talking about funding here), apparently there are more funding opportunities in-program,from both NPSIA and Carleton.  These are ones where you get into financial need, etc.  So there's still some funding to hopefully look forward to!

Yeah I wrote to Tabbatha for more info about funding for financial need. I'll wait for her answer, but from what I read, applications are in Fall so we have time ^^

Just got my official offer with a 14k funding package. I'm pretty surprised at that!

Now it's time to make a really difficult decision...

Congrats ! I saw that you applied to LSE as well ! :o I wanted to apply there but couldn't for personal reasons, but either of these programs are great ^^ Good luck for your reflection :) !

I aim at the Intelligence and National Security cluster.

Would you think I have a strong application for NPSIA and GSPIA? My fears are that my background is Management/Consulting/Finance, and also that my grades seem ridiculous compared to your GPA :D

PS : I should also tell you that before going to ESSEC, I had to (just like other french students)  take Maths/Philosophy/Geopolitics/Languages courses during two years ("Classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles" in french) after high school, and take a competitive entrance exam (1 out 10 selected for ESSEC). So maybe they would take that into account :)

Thanks a lot for your time ! :)

Hicham

I thought I would weigh in with my opinion since my background is also in Management (Finance/Intl. Business/Consulting). I received offers from both NPSIA and GSPIA. With that said, I chose the International Economic Policy cluster so it wasn't much of a jump as I had taken my fair share of trade and econ courses during my undergrad. In your case, you're making a much bigger leap from Management/Consulting/Finance to Intelligence and National Security. I would suggest you emphasize in your personal statement: 

1. Your experience volunteering at the Zaatari refuge camp in Jordan for UNFPA

2. Any relevant courses you might've taken in respect to the cluster

3. Your research interest; IMO, I would dedicate a good chunk of time to flesh this out because it would show the admissions committee that even though your academic background is not in Intelligence and National Security, you know what you're talking about. 

I can't comment on your GPA as I'm not sure how much weight the program puts on grades. Personally, my GPA was hovering around A-. I've heard the program accepts a pretty wide range from 3.2/4.0 and up. 

Your experiences look solid. Best of luck! 

Edited by Iffie

Just got my official offer with a 14k funding package. I'm pretty surprised at that!

Now it's time to make a really difficult decision...

Congratulations drschad! I finally received my offer this morning.

FYI for all who are still waiting: my process took 9 days so I understand the anxiety some of you are still feeling. (My status as Review in progress by FGPA was 1+ day long and that's after my status went from Review in Progress to Recommended for Assessment back to Review in Progress and to Review in Progress by FGPA to finally receiving an email announcing their official decision this morning.)

@drschad : Good luck with your decision between LSE and NPSIA, not an easy decision but a good spot to be in for you since both have fantastic reputations and no matter what you choose it will be a win-win.

Again good luck to all who are waiting still, I am looking forward to meeting the class of NPSIA 2016, you have all been so supportive and full of information. Such a diverse group where everyone sounds so interesting.

Congratulations drschad! I finally received my offer this morning.

FYI for all who are still waiting: my process took 9 days so I understand the anxiety some of you are still feeling. (My status as Review in progress by FGPA was 1+ day long and that's after my status went from Review in Progress to Recommended for Assessment back to Review in Progress and to Review in Progress by FGPA to finally receiving an email announcing their official decision this morning.)

I also finally (!) received my offer this morning.  Like @satellite, it also took 9 days, and my status also went back down to "Review in progress", then to "Review in Progress by FGPA" on Friday afternoon, and finally today I got an email telling me to check my status again, where it indicated that I had been accepted.  I suppose in the grand scheme of things, 9 days is pretty quick, it just reallly doesn't feel like it when you're in the middle of it!  : ))

I guess the next thing to look out for - in terms of funding - is SSHRC and OGS (for those who applied) and any in-program funding options during the fall term.

Thanks for the support and information! 

Again good luck to all who are waiting still, I am looking forward to meeting the class of NPSIA 2016, you have all been so supportive and full of information. Such a diverse group where everyone sounds so interesting.

Speaking of 2016, If end up going to Carleton I could seriously consider trying to finish the program in one year, since tuition fee for the second year could cause me go entirely broke (especially with the international rate). I know finishing up in one year possible, but is it feasible? Do many people do this? Anyone with experiences? Thoughts?

You can read what that guy wrote about the MA, he talks about doing it in one year or two.

http://npsia.wordpress.com/2013/04/22/so-you-wanna-get-an-m-a-in-international-affairs/

Thanks. I remember reading that article before. 

By the way, I have feeling this might be a dumb question, but that article and a few other posts I've read talk about co-op placements at DFAIT or CIDA... Are such positions typically available to Canadian nationals only?

Edited by icedtea

Thanks. I remember reading that article before. 

By the way, I have feeling this might be a dumb question, but that article and a few other posts I've read talk about co-op placements at DFAIT or CIDA... Are such positions typically available to Canadian nationals only?

Most co-op jobs in the government require you to be a Canadian citizen, so I would say yes. I believe you will be able to work if the job requires a basic security clearance, but if it exceeds that level, then it will be really difficult for you to get a job within the government (unless you have been staying in Canada for at least 5 years). However, I think there will be co-op positions available for NGOs, so don't be too discouraged.

Edited by timeisticking

Got in last week around the same time as everyone else. Tough decision now, Munk vs. NPSIA.

Congrats to everyone accepted! By the looks of this forum, it is going to be a talented incoming group at NPSIA.

Congrats, @grog01!

Munk and NPSIA are the only two schools I applied to, and I was also accepted to both.  I'd be interested to hear what points you have in Munk's favour as you try to make your decision.  Since this forum has mostly been about NPSIA (with a side of GPSIA) and what the advantages are in terms of getting placed with the govt for co-ops, National Capital Region, networks, social aspects, etc.,  I haven't heard too much about Munk but am very interested to hear what more of the positives are.

Congrats, @grog01!

Munk and NPSIA are the only two schools I applied to, and I was also accepted to both.  I'd be interested to hear what points you have in Munk's favour as you try to make your decision.  Since this forum has mostly been about NPSIA (with a side of GPSIA) and what the advantages are in terms of getting placed with the govt for co-ops, National Capital Region, networks, social aspects, etc.,  I haven't heard too much about Munk but am very interested to hear what more of the positives are.

Well, I've noticed in Munk's admission offer that they really advertise student and faculty run extracurricular activities (be it crisis simulation, joining editorial boards, etc.) which does make the program attractive. The MGA program also seems more focused on career development, and there might be a bit of an advantage over NPSIA given that the internship program is mandatory and acts as a credit (helping you build a professional network and possibly even securing an exchange). While NPSIA offers numerous internships, you do have to apply - making it somewhat competitive. MGA Labs at Munk also seems pretty interesting and somewhat innovative for international affairs. Also, there are many opportunities for jobs given the size of Toronto and the number of NGO's, charities and non-profits around.

However, I caught up on this forum a bit and noticed that a few people had negative experiences visiting Munk, so what I'm seeing online may not be the reality of the program. There are only three specialization streams at Munk, which is kind of a downfall. NPSIA offers a lot more ($10000 difference) in terms of funding. Also, the MRP and Thesis options at NPSIA may be beneficial if one decides to apply for a Ph.D. Not to mention NPSIA's reputation, co-op programs and ties to the Canadian government.

A lot of other people mentioned the positives of NPSIA so no point for me to go on about them. Looks like I'm leaning towards NPSIA though.

Has anyone accepted NPSIA yet?

Hey guys!

I'm new to this forum, so if I get anything wrong, please bear with me. :)

All of you have such extensive and exciting backgrounds and experiences, it's humbling!

So I wanted some advice/suggestions regarding the MA in International Affairs at NPSIA.

I have just returned to Canada following a Fellowship with Teach for India, an NGO aiming to improve the quality of education in low-income schools in India.

I hold a BA (Hons) in Sociology (graduated May 2013) from The University of Western Ontario, with a CGPA of 3.0, while my GPA of the last 2 years is 3.7. 
My undergrad qualitative thesis was on the role of social media (particularly YouTube) in facilitating the Occupy Movement based on reactions of protestors. 

I was a recipient of the Rotary Global Grant in 2013 (formerly Ambassadorial Scholarship), which is a $30,000 award that be used in any country where Rotary Clubs are located, and provides $30,000 for tuition, fees, travel, living expenses, and service project expenses. However, I decided to forgo this award to pursue the Fellowship with Teach for India.

I have moved a lot as a child; have lived in 3 countries - India, UAE, Canada, and speak 6 languages - English, Hindi, Urdu (fluent), and Spanish, Arabic, French (basic), and therefore have volunteer/internship (minor/ unrelated) experience in these regions.

I am very interested in the MA in International Affairs, in the International Economic Policy; am aware that the deadline for Fall 2014 was January 31, and second round offers are made before the August 31 deadline.

Would you recommend applying to the program for this fall? or Should I wait till next year?
What do you think the chances of me getting in are?

Would appreciate any/every insight! Thank you!!
Gluck to everyone :)

I would also disagree with some of the comments that have been made about Munk. I have a friend that is currently in the program, and she's told me nothing but wonderful things about the professional and academic program offered at Toronto. The program is much more professionally-orientated and many students have actually found placements in major international organizations (World Bank, IMF, WTO, ILO) while also finding funding to support their internships abroad. One of the factors that is really pulling me away from NPSIA to Munk is the cutting-edge policy research that the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto (they recently just won the prestigious MacArthur Award and hosts Google Policy Fellows), whereas I don't feel that either GSPIA or NPSIA quite have the world-class faculty to match up to Munk's (which has Michael Ignatieff, Ron Deibert, Janice Stein to name a few).

If I were to make another point against NPSIA, it would be that the 'Ottawa Advantage' might be a little exaggerated. For those that are interested in international development, the merger of CIDA with DFAIT means that co-ops are much more competitive and by no means guaranteed. Another comment that I would add is that Munk seems to place a much higher focus on innovation and 'the big idea' through its MGA Labs, while I would argue that NPSIA might arguably focus more on the traditional niche areas that are aimed at training civil servants/diplomats.

Well, I've noticed in Munk's admission offer that they really advertise student and faculty run extracurricular activities (be it crisis simulation, joining editorial boards, etc.) which does make the program attractive. The MGA program also seems more focused on career development, and there might be a bit of an advantage over NPSIA given that the internship program is mandatory and acts as a credit (helping you build a professional network and possibly even securing an exchange). While NPSIA offers numerous internships, you do have to apply - making it somewhat competitive. MGA Labs at Munk also seems pretty interesting and somewhat innovative for international affairs. Also, there are many opportunities for jobs given the size of Toronto and the number of NGO's, charities and non-profits around.

However, I caught up on this forum a bit and noticed that a few people had negative experiences visiting Munk, so what I'm seeing online may not be the reality of the program. There are only three specialization streams at Munk, which is kind of a downfall. NPSIA offers a lot more ($10000 difference) in terms of funding. Also, the MRP and Thesis options at NPSIA may be beneficial if one decides to apply for a Ph.D. Not to mention NPSIA's reputation, co-op programs and ties to the Canadian government.

A lot of other people mentioned the positives of NPSIA so no point for me to go on about them. Looks like I'm leaning towards NPSIA though.

Has anyone accepted NPSIA yet?

I would also disagree with some of the comments that have been made about Munk. I have a friend that is currently in the program, and she's told me nothing but wonderful things about the professional and academic program offered at Toronto. The program is much more professionally-orientated and many students have actually found placements in major international organizations (World Bank, IMF, WTO, ILO) while also finding funding to support their internships abroad. One of the factors that is really pulling me away from NPSIA to Munk is the cutting-edge policy research that the Citizen Lab at the University of Toronto (they recently just won the prestigious MacArthur Award and hosts Google Policy Fellows), whereas I don't feel that either GSPIA or NPSIA quite have the world-class faculty to match up to Munk's (which has Michael Ignatieff, Ron Deibert, Janice Stein to name a few).

If I were to make another point against NPSIA, it would be that the 'Ottawa Advantage' might be a little exaggerated. For those that are interested in international development, the merger of CIDA with DFAIT means that co-ops are much more competitive and by no means guaranteed. Another comment that I would add is that Munk seems to place a much higher focus on innovation and 'the big idea' through its MGA Labs, while I would argue that NPSIA might arguably focus more on the traditional niche areas that are aimed at training civil servants/diplomats.

@strombone1: Thank you so much for this.  It's certainly the strongest case for Munk that I've heard on any of these forums.  What I take away from your argument, and from my own research, is that Munk is an excellent choice for someone interested in anything in the field of international affairs other than being a civil servant/diplomat/foreign service officer.  Particularly with the Citizen Lab and some of the faculty, it seems like it may be the more innovative and exciting option.

Personally speaking, I've been trying to get into DFATD since their last recruiting campaign was held in 2011 (though I'm not sure if they ever used any of those candidates because of the job action, collapse of CIDA, etc.)  While I may very well be delusional for thinking this is a possibility (this is exactly what the NPSIA blogger said about anyone trying to get into the Foreign Service, in the post that @GabrielleBishop linked to), it's still my first choice.  I'm thinking that NPSIA is my best/only/last option for trying to get in, even though I know I'll have to compete for a co-op position there.  Also, I really do think that Ottawa can be like a small town in some ways and, though you note that the "Ottawa advantage" is being overemphasized, I can't help but feel that moving yourself there and making contacts, networking - even just meeting friends of friends - may help in some ways that can't be discounted.

My thinking is: do an MA at NPSIA, do everything in my power to get into DFATD, and then - if I still don't get in - accept that the universe has made it abundantly clear that it is simply NOT going to happen for me.  lol

Will you be going to Munk in Fall 2014?

Edited by lahdeedah

I do not believe that the "Ottawa advantage" is being overemphasized. While it may be true that you might not be able to directly get into DFATD solely with a MA degree from NPSIA, the network opportunities with other government departments (that will eventually get you into DFATD) are worthwhile. I can attest to this, having spoken with a few students from GSPIA at the University of Ottawa.

On another note, even though Munk charges exorbitant tuition fees, I do believe that Munk shouldn't be discredited, since it seems like its program is academically-oriented and will provide good global opportunities in the field of international affairs.

@strombone1: Thank you so much for this.  It's certainly the strongest case for Munk that I've heard on any of these forums.  What I take away from your argument, and from my own research, is that Munk is an excellent choice for someone interested in anything in the field of international affairs other than being a civil servant/diplomat/foreign service officer.  Particularly with the Citizen Lab and some of the faculty, it seems like it may be the more innovative and exciting option.

Personally speaking, I've been trying to get into DFATD since their last recruiting campaign was held in 2011 (though I'm not sure if they ever used any of those candidates because of the job action, collapse of CIDA, etc.)  While I may very well be delusional for thinking this is a possibility (this is exactly what the NPSIA blogger said about anyone trying to get into the Foreign Service, in the post that @GabrielleBishop linked to), it's still my first choice.  I'm thinking that NPSIA is my best/only/last option for trying to get in, even though I know I'll have to compete for a co-op position there.  Also, I really do think that Ottawa can be like a small town in some ways and, though you note that the "Ottawa advantage" is being overemphasized, I can't help but feel that moving yourself there and making contacts, networking - even just meeting friends of friends - may help in some ways that can't be discounted.

My thinking is: do an MA at NPSIA, do everything in my power to get into DFATD, and then - if I still don't get in - accept that the universe has made it abundantly clear that it is simply NOT going to happen for me.  lol

I personally think you are on the right track. Remember that there is more than one way of getting into the foreign service. Although NPSIA seems to be the most direct way, remember that there are other schools that will equally give you access to the foreign service. Provided that you do not get in, you can always go to other schools like GSPIA or Munk. If you have a change of heart, then I would recommend applying for the MPA program or a Master of Public Policy, which can be used as stepping stones into the foreign service. 

Edited by timeisticking

I got into NPSIA and GPSIA as well, but will be going to Munk. Actually, the friend that I was mentioning just got recruited into DFATD. So, in response to the previous poster, I would say that there is clearly more than one way to get into the Canadian Foreign Service (if that is your ultimate end goal). I am personal more interested in international opportunities with multilateral organizations, and have found that NPSIA graduates typically focus within the Canadian market. I also liked the fact that they had a lot more international students in the program, who have all mentioned that the University of Toronto name is well-recognized beyond Canada's borders. In the case of networking, I wouldn't underestimate what Toronto has to offer as well. Ottawa may be the nation's capital, but Toronto, in my humble opinion, the far more exciting place to live, and has a lot to offer if you are concerned about the 'networking' aspects and very internationally orientated.

I personally don't believe that you won't be making a bad choice wherever you go. Although, I thought that I should probably do my part to balance out the conversation. I have another friend that recently got into the School of Public Policy and Administration at Carleton, which offers the MA in Public Administration, who has also mentioned that NPSIA students (of course, not all) have had the reputation of being arrogant and even borderline entitled. Again, I would mention again that co-op opportunities in the government are not as plentiful as it once as and much more competitive to come by.

Just my two cents, but I would like to hear what you all think.

I recently spoke with a friend of mine who goes to Munk (as I was accepted there as well), and she said that the program is very much focused on the non-governmental side of international affairs, namely NGOs, international businesses, etc. She thought that NPSIA would be the stronger choice for those interested in a government career path. Otherwise it sounds like Munk is a great choice for those not as interested in a DFATD job. And as was said before, there's a whole lot more to do in Toronto than Ottawa.

She did say she wasn't overly satisfied with the program, as that there wasn't a lot of opportunity to work directly with professors. Also, while many Munk students do land amazing internships at the IMF, World Bank, NATO, etc. it's far from guaranteed. I would say though that if internships at organizations like that interest you, Munk has the advantage over NPSIA.

I chose NPSIA because of its reputation and established connections with the federal government, the lower cost, and because the funding package was significantly more than what was offered by Munk or GSPIA. It was also highly recommended to me by all of the professors I asked for references.

Overall, I think both are excellent schools, and you couldn't go wrong with either (and GSPIA as well).

Edited by Archie1991

I got into NPSIA and GPSIA as well, but will be going to Munk. Actually, the friend that I was mentioning just got recruited into DFATD. So, in response to the previous poster, I would say that there is clearly more than one way to get into the Canadian Foreign Service (if that is your ultimate end goal). I am personal more interested in international opportunities with multilateral organizations, and have found that NPSIA graduates typically focus within the Canadian market. I also liked the fact that they had a lot more international students in the program, who have all mentioned that the University of Toronto name is well-recognized beyond Canada's borders. In the case of networking, I wouldn't underestimate what Toronto has to offer as well. Ottawa may be the nation's capital, but Toronto, in my humble opinion, the far more exciting place to live, and has a lot to offer if you are concerned about the 'networking' aspects and very internationally orientated.

I personally don't believe that you won't be making a bad choice wherever you go. Although, I thought that I should probably do my part to balance out the conversation. I have another friend that recently got into the School of Public Policy and Administration at Carleton, which offers the MA in Public Administration, who has also mentioned that NPSIA students (of course, not all) have had the reputation of being arrogant and even borderline entitled. Again, I would mention again that co-op opportunities in the government are not as plentiful as it once as and much more competitive to come by.

Just my two cents, but I would like to hear what you all think.

I'm glad that you know which direction you would like to take, and I do agree with you: the reputation of University of Toronto is far greater than Carleton or University of Ottawa and I think it will give you an advantage over NPSIA and GSPIA.

I still feel that the networking opportunities at the University of Toronto seem somewhat limited as opposed to NPSIA (with regards to the government), although I reckon there will be plenty of networking opportunities available with the vast amount of events going on at Munk. 

I also agree with you on the co-op opportunities. It is competitive and it is expected that students will fight over such positions, but I think the flexibility of the co-op programs allow you to extend your search beyond government jobs, since internships for NGOs are available as well. Furthermore, there are several NGOs in Ottawa that one could work for, given the fact that Ottawa is the national capital and several academic councils and organizations are located in Ottawa.

Edited by timeisticking

Well, apparently it's time for me on this forum. My generic rejection email came through a few hours ago. I am not interested in discussing why I was a deserving applicant or mulling over the factors that might have kept me out, but this instantly starts the plan B/C/D phase that I've been dreading for some time. So this weekend is going to be a tough one.

Good luck, everyone!

Edited by icedtea

Well, apparently it's time for me on this forum. My generic rejection email came through a few hours ago. I am not interested in discussing why I was a deserving applicant or mulling over the factors that might have kept me out, but this instantly starts the plan B/C/D phase that I've been dreading for some time. So this weekend is going to be a tough one.

Good luck, everyone!

I'm so sorry to hear that. Try not to be too disappointed about it. I'm sure something better will come up. Good luck! :)

I'm so sorry to hear that. Try not to be too disappointed about it. I'm sure something better will come up. Good luck! :)

Good luck, everyone!

To me you were more than deserving, feeling the pain, you are a great human. Best of luck.

Now my turn to bravely face the rejection which I am expecting soon.