NPSIA 2014 Fall Applicants

lahdeedah

I'm on hold/waitlisted, after reading all of your GPA's, feeling much better about the waitlist position (my GPA was painfully average, though was banking my chances on my work experiences). I was told there was no numbering of the waitlist, if I wasn't mistaken, as spots open up, they review the list.   Anyone heard different/same?

fyi, my status is "review in progress by department"

Hi Nakfa. Sorry to hear that. My GPA is below average, I'd guess. I have not heard anything yet; my status is "recommended for assessment".

Did you receive the information about your status via email or did you call them up?

Edited by icedtea

Hi Nakfa. Sorry to hear that. My GPA is below average, I'd guess. I have not heard anything yet; my status is "recommended for assessment".

Did you receive the information about your status via email or did you call them up?

Hey IcedTea, I called them up.  You should call them!  It would appear that "recommended for assessment" is a step above "review in progress", so don't fret!!

Just curious then, whats your background? i.e. school, field, etc

Hey IcedTea, I called them up.  You should call them!  It would appear that "recommended for assessment" is a step above "review in progress", so don't fret!!

Just curious then, whats your background? i.e. school, field, etc

I'm an international applicant with an undergrad degree in Econ. I have some work experience that would fall under the international organizations cluster (nearly 3 years now). My GPA is a sad 3.16, but hey, I did take all of the courses listed on the second page of the preference form!

I'm an international applicant with an undergrad degree in Econ. I have some work experience that would fall under the international organizations cluster (nearly 3 years now). My GPA is a sad 3.16, but hey, I did take all of the courses listed on the second page of the preference form!

I'm also an international applicant and my status went from Preliminary Review Required to Recommended for Assessment. This is my current status so I believe the latter is the second step.

Tabbatha told me on the phone that Carleton Central often glitches, so that could be it. My application dropped back down to "review in progress by department" when it was supposed to say "Review in progress by Faculty of Graduate and Postdoctoral Affairs" last week.

The timeline is here: http://graduate.carleton.ca/apply-online/application-status/

.. FGPA was proceedding my application, but Tabbatha wrote me an email telling me they were missing the transcript from my exchange program.. I really thought my translator included it in the file..

Tabbatha wrote :

FGPA will not be able to process your offer until we receive a copy of your transcript from Meiji University.  as you received transfer credits we will need to see a copy of the transcript before  your formal offer is processed.

So I guess it is only a delay since my grades were really good, but I'm just pissed at myself that I didn't see that.. Hopefully, it will still get done by tomorrow :P

Hello everyone !

I'm so excited to see so many interesting people in one topic :D

I'd like to have some feedback about my (hypothetical) application for fall 2015 !

I'm a Moroccan Canadian soon to be graduate student in a french business school (ESSEC) which ranks 8th worldwid for MIM (masters in management, european style which includes a Bachelor in Management) according to the Financial Times. Corporate Finance and Strategy Concentration. My GPA wouldn't seem so good as it is computed the french way (is is exceptionnal to have grades above 16/20 in France). I would say that I have a 14/20 GPA with a stronger record concerning my concentration (16/20).

I speak english fluently and native french and arabic. I also have beginner level in turkish and farsi.

Did a lot internships : 4 months as a strategy consultant in the Casablanca office of the Boston Consulting Group (mainly working for the gouvernement) and 6 months in the Montréal office of Roland Berger (some government work too). I also have an experience volunteering for UNFPA Jordan (working in Al Zaatari refugee camp).

I have strong recommandations from both my former employees and my Middle East Studies professor at Essec.

I aim at the Intelligence and National Security cluster.

Would you think I have a strong application for NPSIA and GSPIA? My fears are that my background is Management/Consulting/Finance, and also that my grades seem ridiculous compared to your GPA :D

PS : I should also tell you that before going to ESSEC, I had to (just like other french students)  take Maths/Philosophy/Geopolitics/Languages courses during two years ("Classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles" in french) after high school, and take a competitive entrance exam (1 out 10 selected for ESSEC). So maybe they would take that into account :)

Thanks a lot for your time ! :)

Hicham

Edited by lahiche

Hello everyone !

I'm so excited to see so many interesting people in one topic :D

I'd like to have some feedback about my (hypothetical) application for fall 2015 !

I'm a Moroccan Canadian soon to be graduate student in a french business school (ESSEC) which ranks 8th worldwid for MIM (masters in management, european style which includes a Bachelor in Management) according to the Financial Times. Corporate Finance and Strategy Concentration. My GPA wouldn't seem so good as it is computed the french way (is is exceptionnal to have grades above 16/20 in France). I would say that I have a 14/20 GPA with a stronger record concerning my concentration (16/20).

I speak english fluently and native french and arabic. I also have beginner level in turkish and farsi.

Did a lot internships : 4 months as a strategy consultant in the Casablanca office of the Boston Consulting Group (mainly working for the gouvernement) and 6 months in the Montréal office of Roland Berger (some government work too). I also have an experience volunteering for UNFPA Jordan (working in Al Zaatari refugee camp).

I have strong recommandations from both my former employees and my Middle East Studies professor at Essec.

I aim at the Intelligence and National Security cluster.

Would you think I have a strong application for NPSIA and GSPIA? My fears are that my background is Management/Consulting/Finance, and also that my grades seem ridiculous compared to your GPA :D

PS : I should also tell you that before going to ESSEC, I had to (just like other french students)  take Maths/Philosophy/Geopolitics/Languages courses during two years ("Classes préparatoires aux grandes écoles" in french) after high school, and take a competitive entrance exam (1 out 10 selected for ESSEC). So maybe they would take that into account :)

Thanks a lot for your time ! :)

Hicham

Hi Hicham ! 

First of all, I think you have a really interesting background ! I think that when NPSIA is evaluating an application, they won't only look at grades. You have a lot of different experiences and that is a plus. I think they look for different background because in the field of international affairs, very different people working together with different backgrounds and ideas is the best way to achieve progress and find solutions to problems. 

The key is in your letter of intention I think. For example, I did two bachelor degrees. Where in the last one, I got really good grades, the first I did was in biology and my grades were really average. Therefore, I took some lines to explains why my grades were lower (as I was more focused on my extracurricular activities as president of the student association and that I was not at my place in Biology)... and after I focused on my experiences and my interests to show them how much I am motivated.

Really focused on the letter and sell yourself :D ! Maybe find a way to express them how your background gives you advantages on other students. 

Je suis sûre que tu serais dans la course si tu appliques ^^ L'expression est meilleure en français lol

I just received my offer. I was officially accepted... but I only received 4000$ which is not even enough to pay for the tuition fees... I accepted the offer since there is no place I want to go more than NPSIA, but I really wonder what I'm gonna do for money... 

Congrats Marika287, I am still waiting for my offer and getting antsy. My status changed this morning to Review in progress by FGPA but no change since then. BTW my last name starts with a P so something must be holding up my application (haven't received an email about it though)

....still waiting and if funding is non-existent for me, accepting will be that much harder since my other acceptance is offering a substantial funding package.

I just received my offer. I was officially accepted... but I only received 4000$ which is not even enough to pay for the tuition fees... I accepted the offer since there is no place I want to go more than NPSIA, but I really wonder what I'm gonna do for money... 

Congratulations! Out of curiosity, how long ago did your Carleton Central status change to in review by the FGPA? 

I just got my acceptance offer.

I got 4,000 in funding, plus 4 ta positions, but now I'm having a dilemma as Ottawa U offered me much more.

Can I ask you what was your background to receive TA positions ? Thanks !

I did not apply to Ottawa U, but how different are these programs from one another? How do they compare, in terms of content especially, since the location is the same?

Edited by icedtea

Can I ask you what was your background to receive TA positions ? Thanks !

I have a lot of volunteer work that involves research, and reasonable grades. Other than that I am not quite sure.

I believe all three of my references ranked me high on the question of whether or not I would be a good fit as a TA.

I did not apply to Ottawa U, but how different are the programs? How do they compare, in terms of content especially?

The Ottawa U program (Public and International Affairs) has three specializations (global policy, international affairs, development) compared to the clusters at Carleton. 

Here's the courses they offer:

http://www.grad.uottawa.ca/Default.aspx?tabid=1727&monControl=Admission&ProgId=678

Here's a promo video that offers a bit: