NPSIA 2014 Fall Applicants

lahdeedah

Hi all,

Just starting a new thread for the 2014 fall applications... The 2013 group were pretty active on here and I found their posts to be helpful while I (anxiously) wait this out.

Has anyone heard anything yet from NPSIA?  My application is still "Recommended for Assessment."  Based on last year's posts, it looks like mid-March may be the earliest we hear anything.

I've received an offer from Munk at U of T (MGA program) and am hoping that NPSIA sends out their decision before the U of T deadline arrives.

I'd be happy to hear from anyone else who applied to NPSIA for this fall.

Good luck to everyone with their applications!  :)

Hi !

My application has the same status as yours :) Even though I know that we won't receive any answer before mid-march, I can't stop chekcing :P

I am also applying at McGill in Political sciences, option international relations, and at Ulaval, but the program is in French.

No answer so far ! So stressing ! I regret that I didn't applu to UoT, but Carleton is definitely my first choice !

Good Luck !

Hey fellow applicants!

Same "Recommended for Assessment" status. I've also been accepted at Munk and GSPIA at uOttawa, so I'm also hoping that the decisions come out before the deadlines there. Makes waiting another few weeks even more stressful as NPSIA is my top choice!

Good luck to everyone!

In the same "Recommended for Assessment" boat as everyone else! I check the status every day, so finally I called NSPIA :P

Apparently those of us to be accepted will receive a sort of "heads-up, you're getting in" email on Monday, March 10th. The big official acceptance emails will be sent out mid-late March; these emails will contain info regarding funding.

The lady I spoke with said that everything is so far on schedule. However, if nobody receives the first email on the 10th, stay calm, it likely means they're running a bit late; it'll be sent out a couple days later.

So anxious!! Like most others, NPSIA is my first choice! 

Lol i'll stress even more this weekend than :P

BTW guys, which cluster did you choose ? My top one is global governance, but I really hesitated for second and third. Don't remember the order, but I chose international trade and conflict resolution.

Gabrielle, thanks so much for the info!

So what are we supposed to do until March 10th??  lol

I think I may have put too many eggs in this one basket... NPSIA is my first choice because I'm aiming to get into DFATD one day and the program itself sounds pretty great.  Only other program I applied to was the MGA at Munk, which is 2 years instead of 1, and several times the cost of the NPSIA program.  Unless they provide substantial funding (this information will be sent out shortly; I already received an acceptance to the program itself) I don't even think it's a realistic option.

Methinks I should have added in a few more applications for Fall 2014...

Anyone happen to know if there are any good programs still accepting applications?  (maybe in the UK or Europe?)

Thanks for the info Gabrielle! That's good to know.

International Organizations is my top choice, with Conflict Resolution and National Security second and third...if I remember correctly.

Hey all.

Mine is still "Preliminary review required" :mellow:, as I spoke to a couple of you over private messages. I went ahead and phoned them this morning and they told me that everything seemed fine with my application and that my application status would be updated as everyone else by the end of next week latest, which is the 7th. In that case, I will be pretty surprised if I hear a decision on my application on the 10th. Well, we'll see.

I personally applied to only two programs in Canada (North America, actually). The other program is Development Studies at York University, which closed its applications only a couple of days ago. So I don't expect to hear from them for a while either.

@lahdeedah, as far as I know, schools in Belgium, the Netherlands and the UK still accept applications. The latter two offer 1-year masters and usually even the top schools in the UK (perhaps with the exception of Oxford and Cambridge) are pretty easy to get in, especially in social sciences fields.

Edited by icedtea

Thanks @icedtea!   I should probably just relax and wait to see what happens on the 10th... I also don't know if I have it in me to apply for anything else right now. (I also applied for SSHRC CGS-M and OGS, which have pretty heavy duty application processes)

Maybe I'll just take a peek at some other schools to see if I can apply after March 10th, if I don't get good news. 

Fingers still crossed!  (and why am I still checking Carleton Central if I know we won't hear anything for another week and a half? smh.)

My cluster choices were: #1 Development Projects and Planning (DPP); #2 International Development Policy (IDP) and #3 International Organizations and Global Public Policy (IOGP).

My research question is regarding the effects of economic development/FDI on human rights in North Korea, which is a pretty polarized issue. Studied abroad twice in Korea, did three internships there and one internship in Canada (all in international-related contexts). Have a bit of research experience here and some minimal teaching experience as well. 

Does anyone know if NPSIA has a preference for the overall degree average or just upper-level courses?

Hi Guys, I applied to both Munk and NPSIA, haven't heard from either yet, but seeing how some of you have already been accepted to Munk I'm getting a doubtful feeling, would this mean that successful applicants have all been contacted for Munk?

Also, for those accepted, what was your gpa/work experience? 

That sounds so interesting ! My area of interest is also East Asia, but I'm more focused on Geopolitics and history, particularly on Japan :) Hope we both get in, would be fun to talk about it :P

Sounds awesome! Yeah that would be great if we both got in; I'm interested in Japanese politics, history and culture too.

My choices were 1) International Economic Policy (IEP) 2) International Organizations and Global Public Policy (IOGP) 3) International Development Policy (IDP). Does anyone know whether the cluster choices have much effect on the selection process? Or do they just help the department place you in one of the streams after you are admitted to the program?

Thanks @icedtea!   I should probably just relax and wait to see what happens on the 10th... I also don't know if I have it in me to apply for anything else right now. (I also applied for SSHRC CGS-M and OGS, which have pretty heavy duty application processes)

Maybe I'll just take a peek at some other schools to see if I can apply after March 10th, if I don't get good news. 

Well, that is something to consider. Their application processes are relatively simpler and many of them don't even require application fees or references.

Edited by icedtea

My choices were 1) International Economic Policy (IEP) 2) International Organizations and Global Public Policy (IOGP) 3) International Development Policy (IDP). Does anyone know whether the cluster choices have much effect on the selection process? Or do they just help the department place in one of the streams after you are admitted to the program?

I remember reading something about how they needed student in Intelligence and security some years ago, but I can't say for sure :/ i hope it doesn't tho!

Hi Guys, I applied to both Munk and NPSIA, haven't heard from either yet, but seeing how some of you have already been accepted to Munk I'm getting a doubtful feeling, would this mean that successful applicants have all been contacted for Munk?

Also, for those accepted, what was your gpa/work experience? 

It might have been one of the first rounds of acceptance for Munk. They want an answer by March 25, so I suspect they could send out another round of acceptances after that. Hopefully you hear something soon!

I had a 3.8/4 GPA with my undergrad honors degree, not a lot of relevant work experience though.

Edited by Archie1991

My research interests are primarily about the internal political dynamics of NATO, and of international organizations more broadly. I'm also very interested in humanitarian interventionism and how organizations like NATO engage in such out-of-area operations.

Dr. Stephen Saideman holds the Paterson Chair at Carleton and does a lot of work in the field, and has an excellent and funny blog if you want to check it out http://saideman.blogspot.ca/. He explains why NATO didn't intervene against Voldemort, for example.

Hi all! In the same "recommended for assessment" boat as most everyone here. Hoping to hear back shortly, and before the deadline to respond to acceptances from UofT and UOttawa, as NPSIA is by far one of my top choices! Best of luck to everyone 

They aren't handing out All the acceptances on the 10th? or even the majority of them? It seemed from past years that Acceptances were granted on a rolling basis from day 1(I guess this year March 10) till Mid- April. With the waitlist acceptances (I assume a small number) gradually rolling in later.

But yes, either way, its going to be a long wait. I'll be just happy to get in to any of my 3 choices (NPSIA, GPSIA, Queens MPA)

Just got admitted to my third choice... I am relieved that not matter what, i'll enter an MA, but i'll be crushed if i don't enter NPSIA lol i just try not to think about it :P