Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

This silence is deafening. When will more of these East Coast and Southern schools send out notifications? I have heard nothing as of yet and it's killing me. By this time in 2014 and 2013 Duke, UVA, and UT-Austin already notified their acceptances. I'm not sure if the results page helps my anxiety or adds to it, but I'm going to have an ulcer by March.

When UVA didn't post anything by the 31st I just resigned myself to the fact that I won't hear from anyone until after the 14th at the earliest. Oddly enough it's lowered my level of nervousness, although I still can't stop checking the results compulsively. Good luck!

Edited by JJWS

My focus is 19th century US history, but it's fair to say that I'm danger close to coming across as a military historian. The professors I mentioned in my SOP were William Blair and Carol Reardon. As an Americanist who toes the line with military history, I'm just hoping I don't come off as another Civil War buff.

Edited by JJWS

Eeek! Congrats to the Northwestern admit.

Anyone else having difficulty breathing with an eye on the inbox?

YESSS! I just want to hear something from someone. I'm starting to worry that my whole application process was just a very long and horrific nightmare, and I never actually submitted anything...

Hey everyone -

I have been reading this post for a while now, but I thought I would finally jump in to try and ease my anxiety a little bit. 

One of the schools I am waiting on is Northwestern, so the acceptances are making me a little anxious (congrats though!) I haven't heard back from any schools yet and I am getting more and more anxious every day...glad to see I am not alone in that though!

erchha -- welcome aboard! I wouldn't count Northwestern out just yet, but if acceptances started rolling out today then I'd expect them to be done sometime today, if history serves. Rejections usually occur at the same time or close behind.

For what it's worth, I've checked my application page and it still says no decision has been rendered.

Thanks, ashiepoo72!

I am trying to remain optimistic - northwestern was always a reach for me anyway, at this point I would just really like to hear something!

But I guess we will all hear back before long :)

I posted once for the first time yesterday but thought I'd like to introduce myself too, this is a great thread and seems like a great community to be a part of (also for the record Hyram McDaniels is nowhere near my real name).  Chiqui and a.rev - same, just about each of my schools is a reach.  So far I've only heard from two schools (which I applied to for medieval studies, not History) for interviews, which is a good sign but also nerve-wracking.  Oh, well, also implicitly from Stanford, since I didn't get a call yesterday.  I guess we all just have to hang in there, though!  Especially since so many decisions trickle in throughout March and potentially April!

All of my applications were reaches by design. The job market out there is so gnarly that almost all of my professors advocate the 'go big or go home' approach. That being said, a lot of the professors that I want to work with have degrees from programs outside the top 30 or even 50. If I don't get in anywhere I might apply again, but I'll definitely take a quick break from academia first.