Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Just got my F-off letter from Yale... not that it wasn't expected since I didn't get an admit phone call, but....damn. And I hear you, historygradhopeful.... I hear you...

I just got a rejection letter / email from Columbia.  I have a Master's (3.93), numerous conferences, 100+ page master's thesis in non translated documents, 3 years teaching experience in the field, and am bi-lingual.  I was going for Chinese history, btw.  Good luck to those that applied and congrats to those who got accepted

Sorry to hear that! I am still waiting on columbia and the others to start rejecting me.

Where else did you apply? good luck

I just got a rejection letter / email from Columbia.  I have a Master's (3.93), numerous conferences, 100+ page master's thesis in non translated documents, 3 years teaching experience in the field, and am bi-lingual.  I was going for Chinese history, btw.  Good luck to those that applied and congrats to those who got accepted.

Sorry to hear you didn't get in. I didn't get a reply yet. My guess is that they chose people according to fit above all else. Lots of people with super hero stats get rejected all the time. I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else though. Good luck!

Sorry to hear that! I am still waiting on columbia and the others to start rejecting me.

Where else did you apply? good luck

I also applied at UVA, Harvard, Chicago, and Princeton.  All of them good fits for my research (border regions and minorities).  It's a shame, Columbia was my best fit of all!

I also applied at UVA, Harvard, Chicago, and Princeton.  All of them good fits for my research (border regions and minorities).  It's a shame, Columbia was my best fit of all!

They would all be great places to go. Good luck with the others...with your profile I am sure you will get some positive results soon.

They would all be great places to go. Good luck with the others...with your profile I am sure you will get some positive results soon.

The kind words mean a lot.  Being rejected always is hard because at this level of education we don't usually have to feel that sort of shame.  Where have you applied?

The kind words mean a lot.  Being rejected always is hard because at this level of education we don't usually have to feel that sort of shame.  Where have you applied?

I think you are absolutely correct. Most of us have excellent grades, have worked hard to get this far and are probably "type A" achieving personalities.  We feel awful about rejection because we just aren't used to it.  I keep reminding myself that acceptances is really about "fit" and the circumstances of this application season and not a comment on my ability or "worthiness."

Yeah, I think most of us here are in the same boat. I am sure you will get in...you just wish the acceptance letter would come before the rejection!

I spread my net wiiiiide as hell: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Princeton, Wisconsin, Michigan Ann-Arbor, UC SB (EALC), IU-B, UNC Chapel Hill, Cornell, UW Seattle and UCLA-East Asian Studies (MA-acceptance).

UCLA and UNC based on my research area are my top choices. Both professors are UCLA were interested in my research but the Japanese historian felt that my Japanese wouldn't be good enough to start a PhD there and recommended a funded MA. It is a great option that I am considering seriously despite the fact I already have an MA in Japanese Studies.

At UNC I had a 50 minute informal Skype interview with my POI which went great and I would love to go there. He said final decisions come out 3rd week of Feb. He was really nice and we seemed to get along...I really hope I get in there with funding, it would be brilliant.

Yeah, I think most of us here are in the same boat. I am sure you will get in...you just wish the acceptance letter would come before the rejection!

I spread my net wiiiiide as hell: Harvard, Stanford, Columbia, Princeton, Wisconsin, Michigan Ann-Arbor, UC SB (EALC), IU-B, UNC Chapel Hill, Cornell, UW Seattle and UCLA-East Asian Studies (MA-acceptance).

UCLA and UNC based on my research area are my top choices. Both professors are UCLA were interested in my research but the Japanese historian felt that my Japanese wouldn't be good enough to start a PhD there and recommended a funded MA. It is a great option that I am considering seriously despite the fact I already have an MA in Japanese Studies.

At UNC I had a 50 minute informal Skype interview with my POI which went great and I would love to go there. He said final decisions come out 3rd week of Feb. He was really nice and we seemed to get along...I really hope I get in there with funding, it would be brilliant.

What program did you get into for the UCLA MA?

Today I got my (long awaited) rejection from Yale. However, yesterday I received an acceptance offer from Northwestern. I spoke with the POI on the phone and I am set to visit the campus during early March.

I am still awaiting to hear from 6 other programs.

Is the UCLA MA actually a funded program? I've been accepted, but I'm completely unaware of the chances for receiving funding there. Also accepted at Berkeley, but having received no news on funding there either, I'm worried there won't be any. Does anybody know if Berkeley typically funds all admits?

Well, thanks to Yale and Stanford, I will definitely be killing a bottle of scotch tonight.

With all the money wasted on those applications, I could have bought a REALLY nice bottle of scotch and actually had something to show for it...

Hey everyone, my name is Christina, I am applying for the Fall 2015 cycle as well and I am one week away from pulling out my hair. On a slightly more serious note lol, I have been trolling are the forum and the results page and have finslly decided to climb out from under the stressfuk rock of waiting. I specialize in South African history, with a research focus on imperialism from the Afrikaner settlements to the second Boer War.

To all of you who have been accepted already, congratulations! To those of us still waiting, we got this, we just have to wait for our perfect fit places, even though that is better saud than done. Haha

To all those despairing: this is not my first time going through this process. I did it four years ago and I did not get an acceptance offer until February 19th. In fact, I got 4 rejections before I got that offer. That the offer came from my top school only made it sweeter. So, don't despair yet! 

Hey all! Congrats to the admits. I too received my boilerplate rejection from Yale...less than ideal, but not unexpected. I am curious, does anyone know what's up with Columbia? I haven't received anything at all, but it seems like some have been admitted, some rejected....Or Cornell, which has been silent for that matter....

Hey all! Congrats to the admits. I too received my boilerplate rejection from Yale...less than ideal, but not unexpected. I am curious, does anyone know what's up with Columbia? I haven't received anything at all, but it seems like some have been admitted, some rejected....Or Cornell, which has been silent for that matter....

Not sure what your field is but I already got my rejection from Columbia.  However, they said that they're forwarding my application to the East Asian Cultures and Languages Department that has its own Chinese History PhD program?  I'm confused as to the difference between that and what I've already applied to, but I have tried to convince myself that the reason I'm one of the only ones who has been rejected so far was so that they could get my application post haste to that department.  Gotta love cognitive dissonance :)

Hoping we'll hear from Columbia, UPenn, and Princeton tomorrow.  

Historygradhopeful,

With your credentials I'm thinking you're definitely right about the transfer!  So much of it is a matter of fit, and if they forwarded your application its obvious that you made an impression to them!

The anxiety of whether Columbia or Princeton will reveal tomorrow is killing me.  They're possibly the toughest schools I applied to but also two of my absolute best fits ... does anyone know if either of them rejects students from the PhD but offers admission into their masters programs?

Hoping we'll hear from Columbia, UPenn, and Princeton tomorrow.  

I'm hoping tomorrow will be a big day in general. Seems barely any history departments have reported admissions, and history tells (ha ha ha) that many report around Feb 6th (or it's equivalent on the calendar).