Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

JJWS--thanks! And I'm very very aware that there are people waiting on these programs and/or funding from them. I'm doing my best to make decisions quickly. It's just hard because I want to make the RIGHT decision, and some programs jumped up the list because of funding and other bennies. I swear I'm not holding onto trophies!

Haha, you should take your time making the right decision! I think JJWS just meant to say you've done incredibly well this cycle.

We all can't wait to hear which lucky program you end up choosing.

Professor Plum- I agree with you completely...I think we (the posters at least) take the words written here in context, although the idea of it being a closed forum is a good one. The bit about professors possibly going on this page interests me though. 

Personally, having to look for work after my MA in the worst climate for graduates in the UK for decades some years back was an important experience. I don't take rejection personally or get too anxious re decisions, however, I do understand not everyone is in the same boat re where their lives are at present and what options are available if a cycle doesn't go well.

Thanks for the insight into the process.

Edited by Gambaosaka1

Thanks, Professor Plum for the helpful advice. :)

Well, I am 99% certain that I will not receive any offers of admissions this cycle. While it's disappointing, I've learned a lot from the process and I think I have a pretty solid plan going forward for next cycle. I'm actually kind of looking forward to my year off. It will be fun and refreshing to do something else for a bit, but, I'm sure at the end of it I will be itching to get back to school!

Great advice Professor Plum. I especially think the part about stipends is important. I read an article once about how, if you are frugal and clever with your stipend (assuming you are lucky enough to receive one), you can set yourself up for the future by using it to pay off undergraduate loans and establish a good credit score.

The part about waiting for a response to grant applications strikes true with me as well. I remember meeting with my undergraduate history advisor last year and seeing dark rings form under his eyes as the quarter wore on. When I commented, he simply looked at me and stated with a wry smile: "grant approval process."

Edited by HistoryMystery

I know a bunch of people were wondering about final notification from UCLA. Checked their website and it looks like they updated it with this:

Admission status for Fall 2015 will be available online by mid-March, 2015.

Just gotta hold out for a little longer :).

Haha, you should take your time making the right decision! I think JJWS just meant to say you've done incredibly well this cycle.

We all can't wait to hear which lucky program you end up choosing.

I know JJWS meant it as a compliment, and I really appreciate all the kind words and support I've gotten from this community over the last year. I'm projecting my own feelings...I hate that some people might essentially be waiting for me to make my decision to get funding or off the wait list, and I want to decline offers as speedily as I can. Once I hear from OSU and IU, I'll feel better about declining several more offers. I'll keep my signature up-to-date for anyone who may be lurking and waiting for notice from programs on my list :)

I know JJWS meant it as a compliment, and I really appreciate all the kind words and support I've gotten from this community over the last year. I'm projecting my own feelings...I hate that some people might essentially be waiting for me to make my decision to get funding or off the wait list, and I want to decline offers as speedily as I can. Once I hear from OSU and IU, I'll feel better about declining several more offers. I'll keep my signature up-to-date for anyone who may be lurking and waiting for notice from programs on my list :)

I thiiiiiiiink OSU admits are done. I just got the itinerary for visiting weekend from them, and it has a list of all the admits, both the ones who are attending and the ones who said they can't. There may be a waitlist, but I would think they would have said.

A total of 21 offers (3 early Americanists, if I remember your field correctly), FWIW, which probably doesn't count some who have already declined.

Edited by telkanuru

Thanks for the insight. I'm actually a modern Americanist. I know a few rejections showed up on the results board today, but I checked the website and my status is still pending! I won't even hate on them a little bit if they reject me, I just want to know for sure haha

Have fun at the recruitment weekend!

Thanks for the insight. I'm actually a modern Americanist. I know a few rejections showed up on the results board today, but I checked the website and my status is still pending! I won't even hate on them a little bit if they reject me, I just want to know for sure haha

Only one modern US. 

Actually, my status on the portal is still pending, too! They sent the letter via regular email. I get the sense their admissions software isn't the most robust thing around.

That's so funny! I think a lot of programs don't have the most accurate websites. I do have to say, Davis' notifications went up very quickly and efficiently. Others I've had to wait for weeks after receiving news via email.

ONE modern Americanist! That's nutty. They have such a great group of faculty in the field. But I guess it's good since modern US is so flooded with PhDs.

I hope I know either good or bad news from my remaining programs by the end of the week. I've already decided to email OSU and IU if I haven't heard by then. According to past years it seems a reasonable timeframe.

Yeah, I would too! Don't think it is unreasonable at all to email now but that's just me.

I got my IU rejection a few weeks back so I reckon you are in with a good shout there. Fingers crossed as I know how highly to rate their program.

I emailed Harvard, Columbia, and USCB over the past 2 couple of weeks.

Harvard: terrible timing as I they put the rejection letter up for everyone that day a couple of hours later!

Columbia: saying my decision is still pending and it should be available by mid/late March.

USCB: to wait for early March (accepted yesterday).

You have such fantastic choices...once you have made your choice, please tell me how you came to that decision. I am genuinely curious.

Edited by Gambaosaka1

Congrats on UCSB Gambaosaka!! That's awesome news!

Also wanted to echo others' gratitude for the helpful posts, Professor Plum. Your points put so much of this process into perspective.

Ashiepoo, your response was so articulate and spot on, as always. (Your ideas always tie together so neatly; you might actually benefit from outsiders stumbling upon this forum!) In total agreement with the others, you've rocked this cycle from start to finish and it'll be great to hear the final choice. 

It's strange, the echo chamber thing. I'm among those who have used this forum as a place to vent about personal neuroses, because it was such a relief to find a community that could relate and sympathise and offer feedback. But it's true that this is all publicly available. Maybe part of maturing for the next cycle will be keeping a tighter lid on it.

In any case, one of the best things about this forum is living vicariously through you all. It's been exciting to see all the acceptances come in and I'm so excited to find out where everyone ends up. Is it just me, or has there been a sense of things winding down this week? I guess it's about that time :)

@Ellebe thanks! Really hope you get offers from UC Davis and UCLA. They are both fantastic programs.

Ah thanks Gambaosaka! Just got the no from UCLA. Looks like it all hinges on Davis...

While I appreciate Professor Plum's advice and would love to be assured by it, I'm still freaking out. UVA told me I would find out by April 1st...this anxiety is going to give me an ulcer. Has anyone heard anything about UNC? I've resigned myself to the idea that I probably didn't get in to Florida or Texas since I haven't heard anything and they sent out acceptances and invites a while ago.

I emailed Harvard, Columbia, and USCB over the past 2 couple of weeks.

Harvard: terrible timing as I they put the rejection letter up for everyone that day a couple of hours later!

Columbia: saying my decision is still pending and it should be available by mid/late March.

USCB: to wait for early March (accepted yesterday).

I emailed my POI from Columbia awhile back, and s/he responded right away with an explanation: Columbia decided to expand its US and modern Europe cohort this year.  I'm an early modernist so obviously, I did not get in.  I have not received my official rejection email/letter either.  This is a clear example of a school that could notify applicants sooner of its decision.  

Hey everyone I have a quick question for anyone accepted into NCSU. Are you going to the conference on the 28th? I'm going back and forth about going, but I need to rsvp soon so I was curious what everyone else is doing. I would love the opportunity to meet some of my (potential) cohorts before fall! Thanks!

Austin has updated MyStatus with rejections. No email prompting you to check either.

"Your application has been given careful consideration by the committee on Graduate Studies. On the basis of their recommendation, your application has been denied. We wish you well in your future plans and sincerely appreciate your interest in The University of Texas at Austin. This is your official notification. A letter will not be mailed to you."

My POI already informed me beforehand of the decision, but as far as embarrassing notifications go, this takes the cake.