Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

The results search for Boston University are driving me insane, last year some people heard back this week, the year before some heard back next week, and then there were some a few years ago that didn't hear back until mid/late March! I decided to look at their website to see what it said about admissions and it gave me a tiny, just a smidgen, of hope.

Beginning in January, the admissions committee meets every two or three weeks to consider all complete applications. The committee will inform applicants who are admitted of its recommendation after the entire review process is completed.  Those who are not accepted will generally receive official notification from the Graduate School shortly after their file has been considered.

I submitted my application over a month before the deadline, so it was probably one of the earlier ones to be reviewed. I'm just thrilled to still be in the running, even if they only accepted 8% of those who applied in 2012/2013. My only concern is that my current school didn't require us to take a foreign language proficiency exam.

I totally agree with ashiepoo about the GRE thing. My friend decided to skip applying this year because she had low scores, myself and several professors tried to tell her to apply anyway but she wouldn't. My advisor suggested that the reason it's used is for students like myself who come from smaller/lesser known schools. That way the committee can understand/gauge how their GPA compares to others. All he told me was that I should try to break into the 80th percentile in verbal to be competitive. That the writing is not important since you have a writing sample and the quantitative is not that important to the degree, although having a bad score may reduce university (but not departmental) funding.

I think I would have gotten some applications in sooner if not for GRE and app fees. I had to structure a budget around when we got paid to determine when to send things.  Fortunately, I got them all in under the wire (at least the apps themselves) - the GREs sometimes came a week to two weeks later. 

People are horrified, and incredulous, when I tell them how much I spent applying to 10 schools, including the GRE and transcripts.  Horrified! I can absolutely see how it would be an impediment for international students, especially those from less wealthy countries.

Same here, Heimat...I planned about 6 months in advance so I could cover application fees, GREs and transcript costs. I had to stagger applications in two waves, and at the end I think I made it with under $100 in my account right before payday haha

Given the cost of living in Cali, that's patently absurd.

Agreed, but at some schools, like Davis, the renting prices are really low. I paid $600 for my own private bedroom/bath, and I had this neat little balcony. Campus was about 15mins walking distance, and the bus stop was less than a block away. I know UCLA, UCI and CAL has RIDICULOUS renting prices; except for maybe UCI's grad housing, which isnt too expensive. Nevertheless, I still agree

EDIT: 

@Chiqui, Im too embarassed to tell people. Let me just say... I took the GRE 3 times over a 2 year period >.<...

Edited by LeventeL

I almost maxed out a credit card just sending out GRE and TOEFL results to schools I applied.  

Since my husband and I are both applying, we spent over 2k in December, between GRE scores, transcripts and application fees.

All to sit here for 3 weeks to refresh our email constantly. It's become a running joke at dinner.

LeventeL -- the housing prices may be cheaper in Davis, but living costs in California are ridiculously high everywhere. Not that people can't live off the stipend, but I know TAs at UCSC struggled pretty badly most of the time. It's MUCH cheaper if you can find a room in a house, but that's not an option for me with my daughter--I really need my own place, preferably where she can have her own bedroom.

One of the main reasons I applied to so few schools is just the staggering cost.  The cheapest application was $50, transcript costs vary depending on how ordered and sent (if I needed them faster for a deadline that was nearing it easily doubled the order and shipping costs), and don't even get me started on the GRE.  Luckily, some of the schools I applied to did not require official GRE scores at time of application, just self report scores and date taken on the app.  But, I will need them if admitted. So, that saved me a little bit of money in the short term.  For the mid January deadline schools I had to make some very hard choices as to where my limited amount of money was going to spent. I only hope I chose wisely and I did not turn my back on a possible good thing.  See, waiting like this makes a person like me way overthink stuff  <_<

Anyone know when Vanderbilt will start sending out admits? 

Marte108, what field are you applying to?

I have an app in at both the Graduate Department of Religion and the History Department, and right now I am in the Divinity School.  I spoke with my advisor today, who is the DGS for the GDR.  The GDR has interviews on Monday and Tuesday next week, and then will make admit decisions probably the week or two after that.  The History Department typically sends out admits after GDR does, because there is quite a bit of overlap in faculty and quite a lot of folks interested in studying religion in both departments.  

Given the cost of living in Cali, that's patently absurd.

It is. Especially for Berkeley; I have several friends over in History and PoliSci over there, and they really have to scramble for funds. Pretty bad for LA too; I make much more than that at USC and it's still tight.