Planned Visits Thread

So it looks like I'll be visiting Rochester March 16-17. I'm waiting to hear more about the fellowship at Iowa before I make any plans... it seems like it might be substantially less money, which might just make my decision easy. Anyone else visiting either of those schools? 

How's something like this?

"I wanted to let you know that I am still very interested in the program. I believe visiting the department in person will help me a great deal in reaching a decision, if the department ends up admitting me. Could you please provide me with some information on the visitation process? What are my options?"

(I'm very paranoid about email these programs, haha.)

1. I think you should hint at it being likely that you'll have more than one offer--maybe something like, "I'd like to visit so that I'll be able to make a faster and more informed decision should I be fortunate enough to receive an offer from SchoolX. Given how hectic the end of the application season can be, I'd want to render my decision as quickly as possible for everyone's benefit."

2. If you have the means to visit without help from the dept, then put the emphasis of the request on meeting the faculty and current grad students, and don't bother mentioning travel expenses or accommodations. If you will need some help, then I'd ask about their advice for possible accommodations, conditional on them permitting you to visit, and put this after asking about meeting current grads so that you can suggest without saying that you'd like them to have a current grad put you up. Something like, "I'd especially like to meet with any current grad students in my area. Also, if it's OK for me to visit, could you suggest where I could find affordable accommodations in the area?", will work. A free place to sleep will save you a bunch, even if you're only staying for a night or two.

3. I strongly recommend not asking for help in the form of money if you can help it. If they are willing to fund your visit, they'll offer it regardless of whether or not you've asked, but if not, then you risk offending them in the process.

4. If there is a faculty member that has expressed an interest in you or your work, then send the request to them rather than the DGS. It'll be them you'll be most interested in seeing, so there's no point bothering the DGS if they aren't willing to give you the time of day.
Edited by lesage13

Has anyone ever asked for more funds to help finance a campus visit? I think I can afford it without more funding, but it's going to put a little bit of strain on me, and it will make any other visits I might need to do that much harder (assuming similar situation)...

Has anyone ever asked for more funds to help finance a campus visit? I think I can afford it without more funding, but it's going to put a little bit of strain on me, and it will make any other visits I might need to do that much harder (assuming similar situation)...

I asked one school whether they could provide more funds and was kindly told that the original offer was all that was available. My request didn't seem to be a problem at all; it just depends on how you ask. Hope that helps.   

1. I think you should hint at it being likely that you'll have more than one offer--maybe something like, "I'd like to visit so that I'll be able to make a faster and more informed decision should I be fortunate enough to receive an offer from SchoolX. Given how hectic the end of the application season can be, I'd want to render my decision as quickly as possible for everyone's benefit."

2. If you have the means to visit without help from the dept, then put the emphasis of the request on meeting the faculty and current grad students, and don't bother mentioning travel expenses or accommodations. If you will need some help, then I'd ask about their advice for possible accommodations, conditional on them permitting you to visit, and put this after asking about meeting current grads so that you can suggest without saying that you'd like them to have a current grad put you up. Something like, "I'd especially like to meet with any current grad students in my area. Also, if it's OK for me to visit, could you suggest where I could find affordable accommodations in the area?", will work. A free place to sleep will save you a bunch, even if you're only staying for a night or two.

3. I strongly recommend not asking for help in the form of money if you can help it. If they are willing to fund your visit, they'll offer it regardless of whether or not you've asked, but if not, then you risk offending them in the process.

4. If there is a faculty member that has expressed an interest in you or your work, then send the request to them rather than the DGS. It'll be them you'll be most interested in seeing, so there's no point bothering the DGS if they aren't willing to give you the time of day.

I would like to say something about my case that might support lesage13's suggestion:

I emailed USC asking if there is any movement in the waitlist - yes, just that, didn't ask where I am on the list. And USC replied with an invitation to visit their campus, fully funded.

My sense is that they (maybe the nice ones) will invite you and fund your visit if they want to, without your asking.

To Philstudent: I will visit USC and syracuse too.

To add: if anyone is curious, they replied that there is no movement in waitlist so far.

Edited by Hilbert's timequake

To Philstudent: I will visit USC and syracuse too.

To add: if anyone is curious, they replied that there is no movement in waitlist so far.

Cool I'll see ya there! Are you not leaning towards Notre Dame? Whats your AOI?

I'm sorry, I just don't see how sarcasm would make someone excited about a long layover. Maybe you could clarify a little bit more.

Not sarcasm; SARCASM: the Society of Articulate Rapscallions Arranging Small Marbles. Our annual meeting is in Denver on  the 22nd. Very convenient.

Not sarcasm; SARCASM: the Society of Articulate Rapscallions Arranging Small Marbles. Our annual meeting is in Denver on  the 22nd. Very convenient.

I ran out of upvotes and I just wanted to thank you for playing along.I laughed a lot.

Feel free to PM me if you are visiting UC-Berkeley or Stanford the first week of april. There's a two day layover between the visits, and I'm staying with my cousin in the bay area rather than fly back to the east coast and out again, and I'd be happy to explore the area if anybody's interested!

And relatedly, when I got my waitlist email from Berkeley, they said that they would fly me out for the visit. I don't know how common this is. Apparently Berkeley has a reputation for underaccepting, which might explain why they do this to some (but not all, apparently) of their waitlisted applicants.

Hey, I've got a visit coming up and I was wondering if those who've been through the process would be willing to share their experiences or thoughts, including any warnings or tips.

Having just gotten back from a visit, my prime piece of advice is to be proactive. If you don't come with your own concerns and really probe people about how they feel about the program, etc., then you're just going to get the standard spiel you get from the department website. Try to think of concerns and questions you have before you arrive and don't be timid.

Having just gotten back from a visit, my prime piece of advice is to be proactive. If you don't come with your own concerns and really probe people about how they feel about the program, etc., then you're just going to get the standard spiel you get from the department website. Try to think of concerns and questions you have before you arrive and don't be timid.

In addition to this, which is spot on: make sure you ask students as many questions as possible. They're a lot more likely to give you straight answers, and will obviously have a more relevant outlook on the program than faculty.

This is something that I probably really needed to hear. I'm still terrified of embarrassing myself with strange faculties (as opposed to the familiar professors I've come to admire and adore at my MA)--I just have to keep in mind that it's a visit, not an interview!. Any tips on how to bring up sensitive subjects? 

This is something that I probably really needed to hear. I'm still terrified of embarrassing myself with strange faculties (as opposed to the familiar professors I've come to admire and adore at my MA)--I just have to keep in mind that it's a visit, not an interview!. Any tips on how to bring up sensitive subjects? 

I don't know that I brought up anything too sensitive. It's not too hard to ask whether students have worked with certain professors, what they're like to work with, how certain intellectual topics or interests are viewed in general (as someone interested in continental philosophy applying to more analytic departments this was, for example, a concern of mine), etc. Every grad student I spoke to had no trepidations in these respects