Psychology Funding Packages

gellert

Either the cost of living in Palo Alto is insane or Stanford is just swimming in dough. 

It's definitely both. The cost of living is absolutely bonkers in the Bay Area. You definitely need a huge stipend to offset the cost of living there. Also, Stanford's endowment is very large, so naturally that adds to their generous funding.

Just out of curiosity, can someone clarify U Denver's package? 45k a year seems really high as a stipend.

When I applied to UDenver I was given a 45k "scholarship". That was to be spread over the course of my time there though and still would not cover the full amount of tuition. They wouldn't give me funding (e.g. stipend) details until I accepted their offer, which I never did.

When I applied to UDenver I was given a 45k "scholarship". That was to be spread over the course of my time there though and still would not cover the full amount of tuition. They wouldn't give me funding (e.g. stipend) details until I accepted their offer, which I never did.

Thanks for the reply.

I definitely do want to find out the details. 45k as a graduate student is just... wow.

Thanks for the reply.

I definitely do want to find out the details. 45k as a graduate student is just... wow.

Sometimes the funding does not include tuition remission, so tuition will be paid from the funding. I suspect that's what's going on with them. 

I definitely agree that you should take cost-of-living into account when comparing offers.

Another complicating factor is universities who won't disclose your funding until after you accept....  -_-

This is what's happening to me with the UIUC. I only have an estimate based on typical numbers listed in my letter, not my actually offer - which could be higher or lower. 

This really sucks because I have really liked UIUC otherwise in the process so far. Maybe my POI will be more forthright. 

I definitely agree that you should take cost-of-living into account when comparing offers.

Another complicating factor is universities who won't disclose your funding until after you accept....  -_-

This is what's happening to me with the UIUC. I only have an estimate based on typical numbers listed in my letter, not my actually offer - which could be higher or lower. 

This really sucks because I have really liked UIUC otherwise in the process so far. Maybe my POI will be more forthright. 

So you're hoping the interview will give you more information? 

So you're hoping the interview will give you more information? 

Yep. I contacted the grad secretary for some additional info, but a lot of this is going to depend heavily on my POI. She seems nice enough and appears to like me, so that's a good thought. 

Thanks for the reply.

Pretty sure that was my post from last year and the 45K thing under stipend was either a mistake or someone added it because they misunderstood what I posted.

Pretty sure that was my post from last year and the 45K thing under stipend was either a mistake or someone added it because they misunderstood what I posted.

If you don't mind, what was it adjusted for tuition?

Also, there's a Stanford post on there that's pretty crazy too. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

Can't remember - I know the $45k (+5K for doctoral fellowship, so $50k) would not have even covered my full tuition. Had I accepted the offer I would have heard about funding from the department (RA/TA with tuition remission) but I went somewhere else so I never got those details.

Can't remember - I know the $45k (+5K for doctoral fellowship, so $50k) would not have even covered my full tuition. Had I accepted the offer I would have heard about funding from the department (RA/TA with tuition remission) but I went somewhere else so I never got those details.

Wow, that sucks. It almost sounds like a shell game, really. 

I don't know who added the Ryerson entry but it is wrong.

That's very close to what I was offered, and several others in my cohort too. I'm guessing it can be a lot less?

Also, there's a Stanford post on there that's pretty crazy too. 

Stanford post is correct, that's what I was offered as well, so I didn't bother adding another duplicate.

Stanford post is correct, that's what I was offered as well, so I didn't bother adding another duplicate.

I think maybe you should! That way if there is any question in future years they will know that it is correct!

3 different stanford posts all saying the same thing, gotta be legit. Since the main reason for the high cost of living in Palo Alto is the price of housing which can be somewhat moderated by living on campus or by living a little further (say, redwood city)- it's a really sweet deal...

That's very close to what I was offered, and several others in my cohort too. I'm guessing it can be a lot less?

It's just the top-up amount is incorrect. You get the amount of your scholarship plus $8,000 (or this may have changed to $10,000 recently). If you get a scholarship it is not topped up by at least $10,000. If you get CGS-D there is no top-up. 

It's just the top-up amount is incorrect. You get the amount of your scholarship plus $8,000 (or this may have changed to $10,000 recently). If you get a scholarship it is not topped up by at least $10,000. If you get CGS-D there is no top-up. 

Probably just for MA, then.

Edited by when

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know what funding is like for UCLA or Berkeley?

Odd. I do not see either on the sheet! I see a $20K I/O entry for Irvine and two $30K entries of USC, but no mention of either of those.

Stanford offers cadillac scholarships - $35K+. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...