Psychology Funding Packages

gellert

I saw this on the History subforum and thought it seemed like a good idea.  This should be more clear than the general Psych Fall 2014 applicants thread, and also allows for completely anonymous disclosure (unless you want to include your username).

This will be helpful, I hope, for future psychology applicants to see what past students have been offered funding-wise at various schools and departments (and subfields) when choosing where to apply.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AleHkppLmYnIdDdlaTBEcXQzM1Z6RTM0enJJdVJLZnc#gid=0

.....and also really depressing seeing how much other schools are offering compared to mine...

But remember to factor in the cost of living! That will make a big difference in how much they offer.

.....and also really depressing seeing how much other schools are offering compared to mine...

I hear ya on this one.  Mine's one of the lowest I've seen anywhere.  And yes, cost of living is slightly lower in the city I'll be moving to but not THAT low.  I just keep reminding myself that regardless of how little I'm getting, I'm technically still getting paid to get a PhD.  So at least I won't have to take out loans for tuition :)

This is interesting, but for me the amount of money I'm getting paid to go to school and get my PhD degree isn't nearly as important as my mentor.  I expected to be poor in grad school and I had offers from schools with higher stipends and even a huge fellowship.  The stipend at the school I chose is pretty low, but I picked it because my advisor is awesome and really supports student training.  So I think that the mentoring I'm getting (research experience, co-authorship on publications, grant writing) is setting me on a path for a higher payoff career-wise compared to schools I got into that had higher stipends. 

This is interesting, but for me the amount of money I'm getting paid to go to school and get my PhD degree isn't nearly as important as my mentor.  I expected to be poor in grad school and I had offers from schools with higher stipends and even a huge fellowship.  The stipend at the school I chose is pretty low, but I picked it because my advisor is awesome and really supports student training.  So I think that the mentoring I'm getting (research experience, co-authorship on publications, grant writing) is setting me on a path for a higher payoff career-wise compared to schools I got into that had higher stipends. 

I'm in the same boat. Delaware is giving me more money to live in a place with a low cost of living than UW is for me to live in Seattle (with a high cost of living). But the research and mentorship are a much better fit at UW.

Right now, I'm just hoping I'll get my NSF GRFP so I won't have to worry about low stipends.

Edited by bathingintheneon

Do all schools offer stipend? I got into UIC, and from what I learned I have to take on an assistantship (RA, TA, or GA) of 20+ hours a week to be paid closed to $1800 a month (which I'm fine with) + tuition waiver. Are first year students allowed to work (even if they can't teach yet)? I'm just confused on how the first semester works for first year students.

wow USC is generous 

I'm skeptical. "payment of up to 36 units of tuition per year", covers "most fees." UC Irvine is offering me $52k my first year and $30-32k the next 4 years, but since tuition/fees are almost $15,000, it changes the bottom line quite a bit.

Do all schools offer stipend? I got into UIC, and from what I learned I have to take on an assistantship (RA, TA, or GA) of 20+ hours a week to be paid closed to $1800 a month (which I'm fine with) + tuition waiver. Are first year students allowed to work (even if they can't teach yet)? I'm just confused on how the first semester works for first year students.

Usually stipends require you to perform some service either through being a TA, an RA or even teaching a class.  And in your first year, yes this is normal.

• 2 weeks later...

What happened to all the entries?  A lot of them are gone or hidden.

Weird! It wasn't like that this morning when I added my offer!

Argh! It keeps telling me my browser is too small and to enlarge it (not possible) or change to list view (then can't edit). I want to add my offers! Any advice??

Argh! It keeps telling me my browser is too small and to enlarge it (not possible) or change to list view (then can't edit). I want to add my offers! Any advice??

the first row needs to be "frozen" but seems like someone changed it at a some point. it should be ok now

• 11 months later...

For a very rough ballpark figure, I just calculated the average 12 month stipend (not including health care or travel) to be $21,421. [I did not attempt to calculate descriptions that used 9 month bases unless summer funding was specified and did not discriminate between TA and RA positions.

I also added in a top row for labels, which I froze, and added a new column to the right with the 12 month estimates I used. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

Either the cost of living in Palo Alto is insane or Stanford is just swimming in dough. 

It's both, I think.

Palo Alto's cost-of-living is about 233% greater than the national average and about 150% greater than CA's average. 

Edited by TXInstrument11

Holy cow, ...very off topic but, how in the world Sal Khan decided to quit his hedge fund job and start working for  free (at least initially) while living there is beyond me. 

& LOL yea I think it's safe to assume Stanford is  swimming in dough, regardless of the funding they offer.