UCLA or UW-Seattle?

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which School should I attened?

• UCLA
    • UW- Seattle

Hello Everyone,

I am interested in doing social welfare research and continuing on to the PhD with a focus on HIV/AIDS affected communities and relating services. Which of the two schools should would be the better fit? 

I'm ambivalent about living in both Seattle and Los Angeles.

• Seattle = too cold and rainy
  • LA = waiting in three + hours of traffic each day
  • Both potentially awesome

any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

Please don't let such an important life decision come down to a poll, traffic, and weather.

Thank you Kristopher, I never thought of that...

I'm looking for information on the programs in relation to my career goals. My comments on weather and traffic are to highlight my equal ambivalence to both places thus leading to my inability to make a concrete decision. The poll is for fun. 

Anyone have insight on these two programs?

I only know about UW from the research I've done on their program during my application process, but they do have a great, highly ranked Public Health department (their SW department is also highly ranked) that has a few professors that do research on HIV/AIDS. I know it's not social work, but you could possibly take a few public health classes that are geared toward your goals or even get an MSW/MPH there. If you are interested in going on for your PhD, I would consider taking as many statistics/research classes as you can because it will be a major part of your PhD career. 

UW is very highly ranked #3 and well regarded in the field. The department building is very nice and the housing cost is reasonable. Are you in-state for ca or washington? that will affect your tuition. Also, check and see if they have people studying AIDS there. I think they do. For PhD you need to graduate the MSW and get faculty to write letters of rec for you and UCLA and UW can both do this. If you can get research experience that would be ideal. Can either of these schools offer that? A RA assistantship or workstudy position would be perfect. Can they give you a research based practicum? Let us know what you find out and what you decide.

UW is very highly ranked #3 and well regarded in the field. The department building is very nice and the housing cost is reasonable. Are you in-state for ca or washington? that will affect your tuition. Also, check and see if they have people studying AIDS there. I think they do. For PhD you need to graduate the MSW and get faculty to write letters of rec for you and UCLA and UW can both do this. If you can get research experience that would be ideal. Can either of these schools offer that? A RA assistantship or workstudy position would be perfect. Can they give you a research based practicum? Let us know what you find out and what you decide.

I only know about UW from the research I've done on their program during my application process, but they do have a great, highly ranked Public Health department (their SW department is also highly ranked) that has a few professors that do research on HIV/AIDS. I know it's not social work, but you could possibly take a few public health classes that are geared toward your goals or even get an MSW/MPH there. If you are interested in going on for your PhD, I would consider taking as many statistics/research classes as you can because it will be a major part of your PhD career. 

Thank you both! I appreciate your thoughtful feedback.

I am a resident of California - so UW is only marginally more expensive than UCLA (The UC system isn't a cheap public institution!). Seattle won't require a car (I can use my partners if need be), while LA will (with gas, insurance etc.). Furthermore, I think rent will be less expensive in Seattle. There is less than a 10K difference in tuition between the two, and I think other living expenses will even out the overall cost for both schools. Thus, cost isn't the biggest factor in my decision between the two.

As for research experience, I'm familiar with faculty who study HIV/AIDS as I've worked in field for a few years now and have set up research opportunities at both UCLA, and UW. 

My thought at this point is that, obviously, both are strong programs. Nonetheless, I am getting a feeling that UW has overall, more resources than UCLA. They seem to have newer facilities, larger faculty, more research clusters, more student groups (that they detail on their website). Can anyone speak to this?

Thanks again!

Edited by socialwelfareenthusiast

I am attending UW Day in the fall, so take me with a grain of salt.  The MSW/MPH is a great opportunity.  Also UW campus is within a 5 mile radius of 6 major hospitals (Seattle Children's, UW Medical, Harborview, Swedish, Virginia Mason, VA), in addition to many renowned research institutions in the Seattle and Lake Union area.  I am a native Seattleite, but had been gone for a decade in other cities before moving back in 2011.  It is a beautiful city, with a lot of very forward thinking medical institutions.

I know nothing about UCLA.  Good luck on the decision making process.  Let me know if you have any Seattle specific questions! 

I am attending UW Day in the fall, so take me with a grain of salt.  The MSW/MPH is a great opportunity.  Also UW campus is within a 5 mile radius of 6 major hospitals (Seattle Children's, UW Medical, Harborview, Swedish, Virginia Mason, VA), in addition to many renowned research institutions in the Seattle and Lake Union area.  I am a native Seattleite, but had been gone for a decade in other cities before moving back in 2011.  It is a beautiful city, with a lot of very forward thinking medical institutions.

I know nothing about UCLA.  Good luck on the decision making process.  Let me know if you have any Seattle specific questions! 

pamaya,

Thank you for your thoughtful input. Do you know anything about faculty specifically working on LGBT/HIV issues? I honestly would love to try life out in Seattle. I've lived most of my life in Southern California. I will keep you in mind as I think of Seattle specific questions. 

Thank you again!

I have no firsthand  knowledge of anyone, but I did find thie faculty page of the UW website very helpful.  There are a lot of great bio's to read through re: reserach topics and interestests.