Poking the Bear (sending inquiries)

Anatexis

Well, I just broke down and sent an email to the graduate admissions director after months of silence. I'm in love with the program and I want so badly to be a part of it. We'll see soon how it works out for me...

Anyone else want to share positive/negative experience with breaking the silence?

Edited by Anatexis

Ahhhh, I have a fun story. 

I contacted a POI at the school and it seemed like a decent fit. After meeting with him he recommended applying to a specific sect of the biology department and I complied. Much later I started to see interview invites on the results page and started to get nervous about my app. The application website said my app was complete, but I still had this funny feeling about it. I called the department office a few times--each time the program coordinator wasn't at her phone and of course I wussed out about leaving messages since I was so sure I was being paranoid. However, nerves got the best of me and I decided to call one more time. When I got a hold of her, she told me my app was incomplete--they hadn't seen any of my rec letters. Turns out that even though the graduate school had received all my materials, they had forgotten to attach my rec letters when they forwarded my application to the department. 

Luckily the department was still willing to consider my application and just a half hour later they asked if I was interested in a Skype interview. I'm extremely glad and absurdly lucky that I kept calling. They're one of my favorites and despite all that silliness they're my first acceptance! I'm still waiting to learn a bit more about one last program but I wouldn't be surprised if I end up with them next year! :D

Edited by pyrocide

I called today, twice. It went to voicemail both times. I did not leave a message, and hope I hear back before I cave and call again!