Not Attending a Top School and Excited About It

Many of the answers and topics are focused on the top 10 or top 20 schools and such, so I thought I would start a conversation for those of us that aren't attending a top ranked school.

Why are we choosing these schools? What gets us excited about them?

Where are you attending?

I'm still waiting on two more schools, one of those being Texas. But the other being San Diego State which is not ranked that high. St. Louis University is my top choice right now. I think the thing I like about these schools(minus Texas) is the smaller class sizes. It's a big thing to me to be able to communicate with my classmates and more importantly establish a closer relationships with professors that way. Not saying it can't happen at bigger/higher ranked schools. But I definitely think it makes it easier!

This is a great question! I was surprised when I started participating in these boards how many people were anxiously wondering whether they had a chance at a handful of "top" private schools. I applied to one such school and wish now that I hadn't. I didn't like the organization of their department, didn't have much affinity with their specific programs, and in retrospect it definitely came through in my essay. I didn't talk about the school much because I couldn't honestly say there was much there I wanted to do.

My first choice (UIC) is actually lower ranked than my second choice (Minnesota). I like it because I'm from Chicago, largely, although it's still a well-regarded program also. I live here, so I've heard of UIC's public outreach programs and I know that their engagement is effective and real. (I'm interested in health disparities, so this is a big deal to me.) I attended UIUC for undergrad, and the two schools are in the same university system so it's home to me

I attended a private school here in Chicago for about a year of a different grad program that I chose to leave, and was very unhappy there. I disliked being in a private school as opposed to a public one, had ideological differences with everything about the way the school was run and its presence in the community, and a big factor in my leaving was realizing that in my field at the time-- history-- working in such a school long-term would be considered a great career outcome. So the fact that UIC is public is a big factor to me, not just for personal financial reasons, but because I could respect them as an employer and I don't feel conflicted about the influence they have in Chicago communities. I'm lucky to live relatively nearby and have decent research fit with them as well, too, but respect for them as an institution was such a huge factor for me that I would have applied either way.

My top choice is the University of North Texas Health Science Center. I'm also interested in getting a duel degree in applied anthropology from their main UNT campus so the program is an almost perfect fit. It is a lower ranked program, but the tuition and location are gigantic pluses and would allow me to be closer to family.   I went out of state for undergrad and have student loan debt that I'm really not trying to make worse. Plus I took two years off after graduating to serve with Americorps, so my e-grants would cover a good portion (if not all) of the tuition.  Applied late in the application cycle so I'm still waiting on an admission decision currently. We'll see how it goes!

Oh I'm so glad that people really liked this thread! 

I'm on board with a lot of what you guys mentioned about having smaller classes sizes and location. Most of my schools were actually California State schools. I have no idea the rank of any of the schools, except just knowing they aren't high! My number one choice is Claremont Graduate University over in Claremont California and that's where I will be going in the Fall for a dual degree MPH/MA Psychology program. For one this is the only pre-made dual degree accredited program with public health and psychology so that was a huge plus for me, especially since I want to mix these too for mental health education and eventually go on to my Psy.D. The class sizes are small so I can create relationships with my professors and classmates, they have specific housing just for graduate students, and you get access to all of the other 6 schools in the Claremont Consortium. The tuition is pretty intense and I haven't heard about scholarships or anything yet, but sometimes that's just the way it is! After moving to Manhattan for two years I decided I didn't want to live in a city so I really wanted to look for a smaller town outside of a major city that still had access to public transportation (since I don't drive) and ability to get to an airport/bus/train depot easily. Claremont offered all those things. Though it wasn't a requirement, I have never attended a school that had a big presence in the community like a "college town" so learning that Claremont is like that was a little exciting. I too was wanting to be closer to my family so this gives me only 6 hours between us which is awesome. 

themmases I was actually surprised too that there was a such a wide population of people very set on the top schools, when in my opinion there are so many schools out there to choose from! I, like you, was actually attending a masters program previously last year. It was a media studies program at a private school in Manhattan for about one year and just like you ended up really not enjoying it. The community there was dreadful and it was like walking on eggshells everyday. I've gone to private schools all my life, I've never attended a public school in any sector, but this was like a whole different experience from any of those others. 

Oh I'm so glad that people really liked this thread! 

I'm on board with a lot of what you guys mentioned about having smaller classes sizes and location. Most of my schools were actually California State schools. I have no idea the rank of any of the schools, except just knowing they aren't high! My number one choice is Claremont Graduate University over in Claremont California and that's where I will be going in the Fall for a dual degree MPH/MA Psychology program. For one this is the only pre-made dual degree accredited program with public health and psychology so that was a huge plus for me, especially since I want to mix these too for mental health education and eventually go on to my Psy.D. The class sizes are small so I can create relationships with my professors and classmates, they have specific housing just for graduate students, and you get access to all of the other 6 schools in the Claremont Consortium. The tuition is pretty intense and I haven't heard about scholarships or anything yet, but sometimes that's just the way it is! After moving to Manhattan for two years I decided I didn't want to live in a city so I really wanted to look for a smaller town outside of a major city that still had access to public transportation (since I don't drive) and ability to get to an airport/bus/train depot easily. Claremont offered all those things. Though it wasn't a requirement, I have never attended a school that had a big presence in the community like a "college town" so learning that Claremont is like that was a little exciting. I too was wanting to be closer to my family so this gives me only 6 hours between us which is awesome. 

themmases I was actually surprised too that there was a such a wide population of people very set on the top schools, when in my opinion there are so many schools out there to choose from! I, like you, was actually attending a masters program previously last year. It was a media studies program at a private school in Manhattan for about one year and just like you ended up really not enjoying it. The community there was dreadful and it was like walking on eggshells everyday. I've gone to private schools all my life, I've never attended a public school in any sector, but this was like a whole different experience from any of those others. 

I actually wish I would have done more research at Claremont. I've been thinking about doing Psychology after my MPH as I'm interested in Health/Sport Psychology. A dual degree would have been fantastic. I'm assuming it's much too late at this point. 

I chose to stay at my 'lower' ranking school (U. Albany) for PhD for several reasons. First of all, there are no rankings for individual programs, so just because a top school is excellent for overall public health, doesn't mean that their specific program tracks are just as excellent, OR is a good fit for you. Just like at my school, I think that my program track's faculty and research are miles better than other tracks here. After interviewing elsewhere (a school that has much higher rankings overall and as research institution), I realized my opportunities to grow as a researcher, a professional, and as an academic in my specific area of interest (EHS) were much better here in Albany. I was offered an RA position for an important/unique study, will being doing data collection, and have better teaching opportunities and future faculty training here. Not only that, the overall morale of students and faculty in my department is by far superior to where I interviewed elsewhere.

Of course a place like Harvard or Johns Hopkins is going to look better on your CV than a state school. But it's also about where you are going to be happy, and what you DO and ACCOMPLISH in graduate school, not just the name.

Do you all think that going to a "lower ranked" out of state school is worth the cost of tuition? I have been accepted to UNT, and I am thrilled. However, the costs are a big deal for me. 

Do you all think that going to a "lower ranked" out of state school is worth the cost of tuition? I have been accepted to UNT, and I am thrilled. However, the costs are a big deal for me. 

Did you look into Graduate Assistantships? Honestly, I question myself all the time about that is the price tag worth me going out of state. It's a middle ground. I feel that I specified my major so much that I have to look outside of my state, but I can look for school closer to my state it won't make a difference in the price, it's just an easier access of getting home. Also I think that you'll know when tuition is too much. I really want to go to Tulane, I looked at the tuition, which included room and board it's 61,000  :blink: for the year. Also what I learned is that they pay 40% of the tuition (not too sure if this applies to graduate students, I know for undergraduates it is). Ex. If they did this for graduates by taking 40% off that price tag it would be about 24,000, which is not bad at all.

I am choosing to attend UC-Denver for a variety of reasons

1. Finances - getting in-state tuition due to the Western Regional Graduate Program, put my way through undergrad so saving some money for graduate school will be a blessing when it comes time to start paying off those loans!
  2. Program - Concentrating in global health and health systems, management and policy is perfect for what I hope my career will be... Also the smaller size and more accessible professors are is always a plus
  3. Location - Family is from PNW and the Rocky Mountain region, I get to explore a new place but still be somewhat close to home (closer than the east coast)
  4. Weather/Geography - I like my seasons and hiking, Colorado fits both those needs

While I was waiting for decisions to come in, I had a wonderful conversation with one of my professors about going somewhere that will make you happy - not whether the school is the best one in the nation because at the end of the day you'll remember the relationship you built and will end up with the degree you want. Some of the best advice given to me when stressing over a state school vs. private prestigious school. Colorado is the best fit for me and I can't wait to begin my program in only 5 months!

I'll be attending Icahn if Berkeley doesn't accept me. The top programs that have accepted me don't interest me because of the class size. I prefer a smaller program (and HOLY CRAP CHANCE TO LIVE IN NYC?!). My reasoning for Berkeley is that it's my alma mater so I'm familiar with the area. 

I would look into a academic common marketplace waiver to see if you would be able to get in-state tuition since you live in a southern state (based off your location). Cost of the MPH clocks in around $11600 for the two years with in state tuition.

ETA: Oops that's for Texas residents. But there might be a similar program in your home state so it wouldn't hurt to check it out. 

Edited by busybev

If you plan on working in the same city as the school and the tuition is cheaper, then a "not highly" ranked school is definitely a good option! However, if both those things are not true, then I don't really see a benefit...

Choosing a "not ranked" school JUST because of the cost is cheaper is a little short-sighted. There are several highly ranked schools (namely the big public ones, Michigan, Berkeley, UCLA, UW) where you can pretty easily find a RA/TA position and get your tuition waived. It is definitely not wise to be in a ton of debt when going into a field such as public health.

Edited by niihla08

I'll be attending Icahn if Berkeley doesn't accept me. The top programs that have accepted me don't interest me because of the class size. I prefer a smaller program (and HOLY CRAP CHANCE TO LIVE IN NYC?!). My reasoning for Berkeley is that it's my alma mater so I'm familiar with the area. 

I'm attending berkeley too!!

Edited by niihla08