AU, SIS

Got wait listed too.

Curious if anyone got accepted, it would be great to hear from you. I feel like all AU did was wait list some and reject others. This makes my decision even harder as I have another program I got into wait longer. AU is cheaper, that's why I hesitate to go off the wait list.

Wolfie - no I applied for the FPNS track.

Ah ok. Judging from the posts here and on the results page, it appears they are in the process of sending many notifications out.

I got wait-listed as well. Good luck to everyone. And, congrats to the people who got in. Do you think they will notify us before April 18th with a final decision? 

The deadline for admitted students to make their final decisions is April 18th. I don't really know for sure but I'm guessing they will wait after that day to notify people on the wait list with more information. 

Who of you will decide to stay on the wait list and why? I'm tempted to accept the offer from SAIS with about half funding and some for the second year and not sure if SIS can tip that and I actually really like the program. Haven't heard from them about my inquiry for funding so am at a bit of a loss.. Any thoughts on this, anyone?

Has anyone accepted their offer at American yet? I'm still deciding between BU/AU (comes down to money--and I have to wait to figure money out until mid-May per BU's aid round dates). I will be putting my deposit down at AU next week unless I hear from BU early. 

Even if you haven't accepted at AU yet, did any of you make it out to their visit day this past Monday--or heard things from people who did? Very interested in getting your insights as to how the campus felt, things (good and bad) that stuck out to you, etc. 

Has anyone accepted their offer at American yet? I'm still deciding between BU/AU (comes down to money--and I have to wait to figure money out until mid-May per BU's aid round dates). I will be putting my deposit down at AU next week unless I hear from BU early. 

Even if you haven't accepted at AU yet, did any of you make it out to their visit day this past Monday--or heard things from people who did? Very interested in getting your insights as to how the campus felt, things (good and bad) that stuck out to you, etc. 

I already accepted the offer. I've never been to the AU campus but I love the city. Since I was accepted straight out of undergrad, I really need to gain some work experience during graduate study and DC seems to be the ideal place. The other schools I applied to in DC area either rejected or waitlisted me, so AU became my first and only choice. 

Did SIS offer you any funding? 

Did anyone attend the open house? I'm trying to choose between Maxwell's MAIR and an MAIR at SIS. Would love anyone's input who is familiar with either program, or input on your experience at the open house. I didn't recieve funding from either so this is proving to be a tough choice. Thanks!

I already accepted the offer. I've never been to the AU campus but I love the city. Since I was accepted straight out of undergrad, I really need to gain some work experience during graduate study and DC seems to be the ideal place. The other schools I applied to in DC area either rejected or waitlisted me, so AU became my first and only choice. 

Did SIS offer you any funding? 

Congrats on accepting! I was also accepted straight out of undergrad and was rejected to other DC schools. I'm totally lacking on professional experience--short of summer internships. I agree, DC is the ideal place to close that experience gap. SIS didn't offer me any funding, but I did submit a request for reconsideration. I don't think that'll render any different results, but you never know! Because they didn't offer me any money, I've put down the deposit but I am still waiting on funding news from Boston University that would make them cheaper than AU. 

Definitely interested in hearing from people who attended the open house too. Since I couldn't make it to the open house, I contacted my degree coordinator at American and he put me in contact with a current student, but the student hasn't responded to any of my questions yet. Not cool. Especially because the BU student I talked to was so personable and such a great resource. 

Congrats on accepting! I was also accepted straight out of undergrad and was rejected to other DC schools. I'm totally lacking on professional experience--short of summer internships. I agree, DC is the ideal place to close that experience gap. SIS didn't offer me any funding, but I did submit a request for reconsideration. I don't think that'll render any different results, but you never know! Because they didn't offer me any money, I've put down the deposit but I am still waiting on funding news from Boston University that would make them cheaper than AU. 

Definitely interested in hearing from people who attended the open house too. Since I couldn't make it to the open house, I contacted my degree coordinator at American and he put me in contact with a current student, but the student hasn't responded to any of my questions yet. Not cool. Especially because the BU student I talked to was so personable and such a great resource. 

Good luck on funding!

A student at SIS contacted me weeks ago and did answer some of my questions. But there has been no response since I sent another email asking for more information about my program. I could not make it to the open house either, so I was really hoping to hear from the current student. I agree, it is not cool.   

If anyone's wondering, I just checked my email and it seems they're sending out their funding reconsideration decisions. I didn't get full tuition or an assistantship, but it's definitely a step up from zero funding.

Then again, the Patterson School is still less than a third of the cost. And it's a really quick decision deadline; I'm actually waiting to hear back about a job offer from a government contractor (who won't know if they've won the contract for little bit longer) and about funding reconsideration from Elliott (deadline: May 1st). I'm going to have to decline, I think. I hope someone here gets this instead of me.

Good luck!

Oh good! I'm hoping I hear from them really soon. BU ended up offering me the scholarship yesterday. I told American and requested that they evaluate the competing offer in their reconsideration. I said if they matched it, I'd attend American. If they can't, I'm out. I also told the I was accepted to, and will be attending, a Russian language immersion program over the summer that will greatly improve my language skills. Hopefully they'll come through for me. I'd love love love love love to be in D.C. 

Good luck to everyone re: funding reconsiderations!! 

I attended the open house- I thought it was pretty good and definitely has been making me think seriously about accepting their offer. The information was roughly what I found online but it helped me get a feel for the atmosphere of the school and personally I really liked it. 

I'm curious about these funding reconsideration requests. How did you guys submit those? I was offered a bit of money through a non-SIS scholarship that I applied for but it really doesn't make a huge difference in the debt load I'd be taking on by going there. I guess it's too late now if they're sending out decisions though.

You can e-mail the SISGrad account and request reconsideration. Super easy. 

Can you tell me a bit more about the sense you got from AU at the visit? The students, professors, the general vibe? 

Oh that is easy. I've emailed them so many times about other things, they probably are surprised I haven't emailed them about that already. 

My impressions from the visit: 

The faculty seem like they are very engaged/involved with the students and actually care about their success on academic, professional, and personal levels, which is really nice. The student community also gave me the sense that they are very supportive of one another and not just there for the classes, but also to interact. The SIS building itself is very open and has a big atrium on the main level for people to meet and hang out on the main level so it is conducive to that sort of atmosphere. The current students I talked to were also super willing to answer questions about basically everything, from SIS-specific questions to living in DC, and a few gave me their contact info if I had other questions in the future. Overall it was all very welcoming, and it felt genuine- not like they were just fabricating it for that day. 

That's awesome that you got such a good feel there! I'm frankly surprised! My interactions with the administrative staff and the one current student they put me in contact with have been absurd. I'm very very glad to hear that's not reflective of the school as a whole. If they do so happen to come back and give me some solid funding, I will definitely give them a second glance despite my experiences with them to-date. 

What program were you accepted into? 

Have you settled on AU or are you still entertaining other options? 

To be honest I was also surprised. I didn't have a bad impression of them before, but they didn't stand out to me as a place I was particularly enthusiastic about. I'm in for global governance, politics, and security. I was also accepted to GW for international affairs and I was initially leaning toward them, but now I'm not so sure. Each school has pros and cons that are important to me, but now that the deadline to decide is so close I have to figure out what I value the most and what I am ok with sacrificing.  That is too bad about your experience with AU so far. Hopefully they will offer you some more funding!