Tufts

febreze

I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on Tufts. I got an offer from them and am seriously considering going. They offered me a good amount of funding but I'm concerned about the cost of living up there. Any opinions on whether it's worth it? My goal is a PhD so I'm taking that into account when deciding where to get my MA.Thanks.

I'm just wondering about people's thoughts on Tufts. I got an offer from them and am seriously considering going. They offered me a good amount of funding but I'm concerned about the cost of living up there. Any opinions on whether it's worth it? My goal is a PhD so I'm taking that into account when deciding where to get my MA.Thanks.

I am in the same position! Any advice would help.

Don't have anything to contribute, but I too would like to get an idea for Tufts' reputation. They gave me a decent amount of funding and I'm seriously considering attending. 

Edited by ChurchLover

Would any of the Tufts admits be willing to speak with me regarding the school, program and funding? I would love to compare notes, share thoughts, impressions, etc, but of course completely understand if you are not comfortable doing that.

If you would like to talk, please PM me. Thank you and congratulations!

In general, Boston is pretty pricey, and it can be a challenge to secure good, affordable, convenient housing.

From my experience: Medford is in proximity to hip Somerville, which I like a lot. I have also walked to Tufts University from the T. It's not bad, but it does get chilly in winter!

For more specifics, I'd recommend checking out "Boston & Cambridge, MA" on GradCafe. Ask there about the realities of funding and housing.

Yea Tufts seems great but it's so expensive to live there even though they offered funding (but no stipend). I've heard nothing but great things about its reputation as well (from people on this forum and professors).

I feel at this point I'm leaning towards Penn even though the tuition is more because after doing research and talking to faculty at both it's (in my opinion - not trying to offend) a better school/program and it will give me the best opportunity when I apply for the phd. Philadelphia also seems way more reasonable as far as cost of living.

Just my two cents.

Also, sorry but I'm not comfortable sharing the details about finances on the internet but congrats to everyone else who got in and I hope the funding works out for you.

Edited by Yce3f7c

Yea Tufts seems great but it's so expensive to live there even though they offered funding (but no stipend). I've heard nothing but great things about its reputation as well (from people on this forum and professors).

I feel at this point I'm leaning towards Penn even though the tuition is more because after doing research and talking to faculty at both it's (in my opinion - not trying to offend) a better school/program and it will give me the best opportunity when I apply for the phd. Philadelphia also seems way more reasonable as far as cost of living.

Just my two cents.

Also, sorry but I'm not comfortable sharing the details about finances on the internet but congrats to everyone else who got in and I hope the funding works out for you.

I will second what you said. I would love to go to Tufts, but I am starting to realize that it is becoming more and more difficult due to financial reasons.

I thought I would let everyone know about what I found on financial aid (i.e. student loans) also. I called their financial aid office this morning and they told me that you are allowed to borrow a maximum of $20,500/year. So... subtract the part of the tuition that you are responsible for, and whatever is left is what you will have as stipend for the year; and voila!

One of the things that I am now left wondering is if students have any time to work given the amount of classes one is supposed to take each semester.

This is becoming increasingly untenable!  :( 

• 2 weeks later...