Location or program?

smpalesh

This question may not even be relevant as I don't know for sure I will get an offer from Laurier but I currently am accepted to University of Toronto for my MSW.  The program at UofT is amazing, exactly what I am looking for.  But it is an almost 2 hour commute and I can't relocate because I have children who are already settled in school and a partner with a good job.  Laurier, I don't really love the program, but it is in my city.  I am debating whether to stay on the waiting list for Laurier for location reasons or whether I should just commit to UofT and deal with the commute for the 10 month long program.  Thoughts?

You said your partner has a good job, which is great! I guess my question is how much can your partner help out with the kids at home while you're in the UofT program for 10 months?  

Another question is whether other folks in the program have commutes that lengthy before.  If so, I wonder how they coped with it!  It might be something worth looking into, if you can get in touch with any other UoT commuter grad students! 

Ten months will go by fast but commutes can be a real drag. Would you have to be at school 5 days a week? If so, those hours really add up. And would you be driving? I ask because it's a big difference if you can still use that time for other things or not.

If I were you I would stay on the wait list, but that's just because I have a real aversion to commuting.  

Tough decision... Good luck :)

I would be taking the GO train, so I could do school work while on it.  It would be a 2 hour commute one way and classes are 2 days a week.  I am hoping to get my practicum (3 days a week) in my area. 

And yes, my partner is super helpful and is totally supportive of me doing the program and willing to take the bulk of the work with the kids.

I would be taking the GO train, so I could do school work while on it.  It would be a 2 hour commute one way and classes are 2 days a week.  I am hoping to get my practicum (3 days a week) in my area. 

And yes, my partner is super helpful and is totally supportive of me doing the program and willing to take the bulk of the work with the kids.

2 days a week won't be that bad! You can do work or catch up on your sleep :P 

Having lived in that area, I would say go for the commute, too! I did a training program in Brampton and commuted from Waterloo because I liked the Brampton program better than the ones available in Waterloo or Guelph, and I never regretted the commute. That was only a couple of days a week, and I drove, and it was very well worth it. Since you'll be able to do school work on the train, this seems like a great choice.  :)