Rejection to Acceptance: Possible??

Johnny_Boy

Hi guys,

I have been denied admission to one of my top choices for PhD and sent DGS an email if I can be reconsidered as admitted students leave admission spots to go their top choice university. Is it OK if I did that and how likelihood is it to get admitted after being rejected if I have mentioned him in the email that I have received fellowships from other excellent schools but this university particularly remains my top choice?

I know it is weird but nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, right?

I would say not impossible, but most likely 99.999% unlikely. I would not send an email. They would have waitlisted you, as Mr. Bugle said.

Just as an interesting story though...

We actually had two students that applied to a school. Student A was accepted and agreed to attend, student B was denied shortly after. Student A received an out of the blue acceptance from somewhere, and quickly retracted his acceptance to the original school. Student B was then called not that long after and asked if he was still interested.

However, this was at a school ranked extremely low, in fact, unranked in it's field. This would most likely never happen at a top school. They most likely were having trouble filling positions and had resorted to calling each person until they found someone who would accept.

I'm pretty sure that programs make it a point to say that admissions decisions are irreversible once they are made. Sorry, bro. I know that isn't what you want to hear.