History of Art MA/PHD 2010

ne4810

To JHU applicants: I just heard from a friend of mine (who is very close to the art history department) that they had about 670 applications this year, and accepted a whopping three. I was not one of them. :-/

I don't mean to scare anyone, just to show that it is uber-competitive this year...to all that are accepted this year: extra congrats!

I can assure you JHU did not receive 670 applicants to study Art History.

Lol! "Shattered dreams!" I like your style jmb.

Why thank you!

And for the Northwestern Nervous Nellies of the world, check this out:

http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/stats/a25ph_adm_enr.pdf

On average, the school admits 15 students per year. So that leaves 12 more open spots. It ain't over till the fat lady sings! (And I don't see any of Fernando Botero's women around here yet so I think we're ok for now) wink.gif

Though I can't believe 670 applied to JHU and only 3 got in. That statistic is absolutely frightening.

Is JHU that much more popular than Northwestern for art history? The stats I saw for NW was 105 applying per year... I can see an increase this year, maybe double or even triple, but anymore than that?!? Insanity.

Redpotato, did Bard make it onto your list? I worked in MoMA's education department as a tour guide while I was a fellow there. I know several people in the museum who had gone to Bard.

Bard did not, for reasons I can't fully remember. I heard from a former Bard student (after I decided not to apply) that the program leaves a lot to be desires. I would love to work in the MoMA education dept., I saw recently that a position for director of interpretation was posted, which would be my ultimate goal in ten or so years.

I received word today via email that I got into an Art/Museum Studies program - I was bouncing off walls, and am having a hell of a time now, trying to write a research paper. Anyhow, how do you see the number of admits? How does everyone know how many people were admitted? I'd love to know more about my [possible] program.

I can assure you JHU did not receive 670 applicants to study Art History.

This is what my friend told me. I don't think he'd lie or exaggerate, but it is possible that he heard the number wrong, or was misquoted. He also said they plan to take three, but didn't mention how many offers they would extend to yield the three- he didn't mention anything about a waitlist (doesn't mean there isn't one).

FWIW, at the beginning of December (EDIT- it was mid-December), they already had over 60 apps submitted, and the deadline was January 15.

Edited by mitzydoodle

This is what my friend told me. I don't think he'd lie or exaggerate, but it is possible that he heard the number wrong, or was misquoted. He also said they plan to take three, but didn't mention how many offers they would extend to yield the three- he didn't mention anything about a waitlist (doesn't mean there isn't one).

FWIW, at the beginning of December (EDIT- it was mid-December), they already had over 60 apps submitted, and the deadline was January 15.

I didn't mean to imply your friend was lying, but I can state it no more simply than this: JHU did NOT receive 670 applications for graduate study in Art History this year.

I didn't mean to imply your friend was lying, but I can state it no more simply than this: JHU did NOT receive 670 applications for graduate study in Art History this year.

lol. then how many DID they get? Btw, my department got twice more than average.

lol. then how many DID they get? Btw, my department got twice more than average.

And by twice more than average, how many would that be? If you don't mind sharing your department name I'd appreciate it, but I understand if you want to remain anonymous.

In general I'm just really curious to find out how large the applicant pool is this year, and the acceptance rates of the various programs we're all applying to. It seems like an exceptionally tough year to be applying, given the state of the economy and the number of people who want to return to the field.

And by twice more than average, how many would that be? If you don't mind sharing your department name I'd appreciate it, but I understand if you want to remain anonymous.

In general I'm just really curious to find out how large the applicant pool is this year, and the acceptance rates of the various programs we're all applying to. It seems like an exceptionally tough year to be applying, given the state of the economy and the number of people who want to return to the field.

Sorry! I'll remain anonymous! (I suspect my department glances over this page occasionally). My school is a small name school with under 100 applicants. Also, my school is not on your list and no one here has discussed applying there (neither are there any acceptances mention on the results page).

I think someone put it well, there are about 200 applicants applying to 40 positions throughout the US - that makes sense to me and it's basically been the thing I've been referencing since it seems like a manageable number to comprehend.

Sorry! I'll remain anonymous! (I suspect my department glances over this page occasionally). My school is a small name school with under 100 applicants. Also, my school is not on your list and no one here has discussed applying there (neither are there any acceptances mention on the results page).

I think someone put it well, there are about 200 applicants applying to 40 positions throughout the US - that makes sense to me and it's basically been the thing I've been referencing since it seems like a manageable number to comprehend.

This year there were more applicants (c. 300) at my institution (Ivy/RI - not JHU although when I applied to GS a couple of years ago, I was accepted there) than in the past. A # of these applicants were nowhere near qualified for admission to an RI (low GPAs, low verbal/logic GREs, no foreign languages etc. etc. etc.. ) and, IMO, were getting some very bad advice from their undergrad profs about their applications and thsu essentially threw their application $ out the window. Our dept. has narrowed the field down to about 9 candidates, figuring that they will get 5 or 6 of them.

This year there were more applicants (c. 300) at my institution (Ivy/RI - not JHU although when I applied to GS a couple of years ago, I was accepted there) than in the past. A # of these applicants were nowhere near qualified for admission to an RI (low GPAs, low verbal/logic GREs, no foreign languages etc. etc. etc.. ) and, IMO, were getting some very bad advice from their undergrad profs about their applications and thsu essentially threw their application $ out the window. Our dept. has narrowed the field down to about 9 candidates, figuring that they will get 5 or 6 of them.

I actually think the majority of candidates are unqualified for graduate study. I typically rank a student's chances of acceptance based on their level of knowledge with the application process. For instance, those who don't know that thegradcafe/livejournal communities exist seem to me much less prepared than those who actually post on the boards. Etc.

Also, I don't know if placing blame on the advisers is so wise. Many advisers may feel that their duties are limited only to undergraduate study and not the beyond - rather, it is a student's responsibility to learn how to apply to grad school (because, frankly, if someone needs their hand held throughout this entire process do you really want them in graduate school?) and take the initiative to learn. I really feel that professor's should be helpful informants but that they don't need to sit there and babysit an applicant.

Also, I don't know if placing blame on the advisers is so wise. Many advisers may feel that their duties are limited only to undergraduate study and not the beyond - rather, it is a student's responsibility to learn how to apply to grad school (because, frankly, if someone needs their hand held throughout this entire process do you really want them in graduate school?) and take the initiative to learn. I really feel that professor's should be helpful informants but that they don't need to sit there and babysit an applicant.

I agree w/the issue of hand holding- if an undergraduate comes to a prof w/a C+ GPA, no languages and a Harvard application, the prof should in the interest of being "helpful" shouldn't simply say "yes" when asked to write a letter

Why thank you!

And for the Northwestern Nervous Nellies of the world, check this out:

http://www.tgs.northwestern.edu/stats/a25ph_adm_enr.pdf

On average, the school admits 15 students per year. So that leaves 12 more open spots. It ain't over till the fat lady sings! (And I don't see any of Fernando Botero's women around here yet so I think we're ok for now) wink.gif

That's a helpful load of statistics there. It kind of angers me that in 2004, Northwestern received all but 62 apps, but had 144 last year. I bet it's somewhere up in the 160s (or higher?) this year, which is just great. Bah. I wonder how many acceptances they're handing out this year, and how many of them will actually accept their offer.

I actually think the majority of candidates are unqualified for graduate study. I typically rank a student's chances of acceptance based on their level of knowledge with the application process. For instance, those who don't know that thegradcafe/livejournal communities exist seem to me much less prepared than those who actually post on the boards. Etc.

And I wish that this forum/venting board actually DID represent every applicant to every graduate program in AH, but it doesn't. That said, I don't think it's entirely factual to assume that posters to this forum are the most likely to be admitted to their school of choice, just because they're aware of a website that can clear up application questions. The application process is pretty straightforward as it is, and confusing points (if there happen to be any) can easily be cleared up with an email to the department in question. I think admissions decisions to graduate programs (particularly to PhD programs) are not made lightly, and are least based on whether or not someone's application was presented well.

I personally know a number of AH applicants from this round that had never heard of this site (when I asked), and don't ascribe to any livejournal or other blogging communities. And they've (each) received a number of offers this year, and from PhD programs at that. (In a way, I'm kind of glad they're not aware of this site, haaaaah)

On another note, anyone else finding that weekends go by too slowly now, since no decisions are sent out then? I look forward to Mondays now. Who AM I????

The number I cited was what was told to my friend by a member of the adcom. Whether it refers to the number of applications received or merely begun on the application website, I do not know. But it is the number that this particular prof wanted to convey to my friend. It is not based on the number of applications other art history departments received this year. I'll stick with my source.

I personally know a number of AH applicants from this round that had never heard of this site (when I asked), and don't ascribe to any livejournal or other blogging communities. And they've (each) received a number of offers this year, and from PhD programs at that. (In a way, I'm kind of glad they're not aware of this site, haaaaah)

Well there are a variety of factors concerning these statements. Also, I was giving just one example of why an applicant could be poor if they do not use online resources to get help (btw, I do not really find this forum all that helpful, but I do think it offers a lot of interesting POVs and arguments).

There are dozens of other things: not looking at the statistics of accepted students (if and where available), not reading the directions or requirements on the department page, failing to know how to write a good sop or cv, not doing research on the expectations of graduate students or what being a graduate student really is about (honestly, I would say MANY do not complete their intended degree because they were not aware of the realities before going in). I mean, without doing any basic (and I would even say advance) research on graduate school and application procedures people have a very low chance of getting in.

This was a topic adcoms talked about at a conference I went to - where they expressed a sincere frustration for people who applied to their department but had no clue about "fit." They said that they had people applying for a MA in Classical art history but the department didn't even have a classics professor or courses. The worse thing? Some of these were perfect on paper, but had no clue about graduate school.

Of course, there are some people who don't need outside resources because they have an adviser who takes a vested interest in them and their abilities. These may be those students you know who already have offers. I know a friend of mine who got accepted with full funding without even looking at any site (I also don't think they even looked up any outside resource either, but they come from a good name school which probably helped).

Yes, it is all circumstantial but what Im eant to say, and I should have changed it, is that I think people have less chance of succeeding in the application process and graduate school if they fail to do research. lol.

They said that they had people applying for a MA in Classical art history but the department didn't even have a classics professor or courses.

I hope they had a fee waiver, and that's why they decided to apply...that's pretty bad.

Hi everyone!

I just got an email on Thursday from the IFA at NYU inviting me in for interviews the week of March 26th - April 2nd. I should state that this is for the Conservation program with an MA in Art History and a conservation certificate before people start freaking out. I guess the Conservation program might be a little different from the regular MA since I haven't seen anything from the IFA on the results page. Although it seems very early to send out interview requests now for over a month away! I don't get why it is so late!

Has anyone else received a similar email? Also, can anyone give any advice for the interview? (i.e. what sort of questions they will ask, etc.)

Also, if anyone has done an MA at the IFA, I would love to hear any thoughts you have on the program, faculty, etc.

Thanks!

They probably want enough time to schedule flights, hotels and so forth. Were you accepted already or is this a pre-acceptance kind of visit? My advice for such an interview would be to bring your own questions for them and make sure that you're sociable while you are there. They evidently liked what they saw in your application but now they get a chance to get to know you face-to-face and to make sure that your personality fits with the program and faculty. But it's also an opportunity for you to scrutinize the program to see if it's up to your own liking. So it's a two-way street.

I live in NYC actually so no flights or hotels needed fortunately. This is a pre-acceptance visit.

Edited by nowhere13

Guest Amon-Ra

Here's the sort of fun thing that can only happen on message boards:

I'm a little abashed to tell you this, but I'm a (the?) poor fool who applied to do an MA in ancient art at a school that does not have faculty in that area. In my (meager) defense, I'd spent a while wavering between two possible focuses, and decided at the last minute that ancient was the way to go. The school has strong faculty in the other field, and in all the confusion I somehow missed the fact that they are sadly ancient-deprived.

Fullofpink, since it would be pretty hilarious if I'm the person you heard about, can you give me a hint which school mentioned the application? I plan to withdraw my application anyways, with heartfelt apologies!

Edited by meforarth

Here's the sort of fun thing that can only happen on message boards:

I'm a little abashed to tell you this, but I'm a (the?) poor fool who applied to do an MA in ancient art at a school that does not have faculty in that area. In my (meager) defense, I'd spent a while wavering between two possible focuses, and decided at the last minute that ancient was the way to go. The school has strong faculty in the other field, and in all the confusion I somehow missed the fact that they are sadly ancient-deprived.

Fullofpink, since it would be pretty hilarious if I'm the person you heard about, can you give me a hint which school mentioned the application? I plan to withdraw my application anyways, with heartfelt apologies!

Oh that <i>is</i> Unfortunate!

However, I can definitely guarantee that it was not you - I heard about this story last year. :)

Good luck though!