History of Art MA/PHD 2010

ne4810

Does that mean Michigan has already offered admissions, too? AAH...I haven't heard back anything. :(

I got an email from the DGS this morning telling me that they've reviewed all applications already. I've been waitlisted.

So now it's on to more waiting. Feels like Michigan is dangling a carrot in front of me that they could easily take away.

Hi all,

I've just been notified that I'm a finalist for a Fulbright in art history (I'll find out the final decision soon). I'd really like to get started on my PhD in the fall, but applied for the grant given how stiff the competition is. I know it's late in the game, but do you think notifying schools that I've advanced would help me or scare off potential yes's? I haven't received any contact from any schools yet--except for two no's.

I'm in NYC too, and after seeing all those Chicago rejections on the board, I had mentally prepared myself for a slim envelope in my mailbox when I got home from work, but nothing yet. I think today or tomorrow they'll come, if they were mailed at the same time as the others.

Alas, the dreaded slim envelope arrived today. Oh well, not my absolute first choice, but I was definitely hoping that my first notification would be an acceptance. Glad to have a definitive answer either way.

Hi all,

I've just been notified that I'm a finalist for a Fulbright in art history (I'll find out the final decision soon). I'd really like to get started on my PhD in the fall, but applied for the grant given how stiff the competition is. I know it's late in the game, but do you think notifying schools that I've advanced would help me or scare off potential yes's? I haven't received any contact from any schools yet--except for two no's.

Don't Fulbright finalist notifications usually come out late January?

Anyway, I would not say anything to anyone until you have all your cards securely in your hand. If a particular school can only offer positions with no wait list, telling them you have other options that you may weigh more heavily would scare rather than encourage them. If you can secure a Fulbright AND PhD admission, based on my experience from watching others, most schools will usually allow you to defer the PhD. This is specifically referring to a research (not ETA) Fulbright grant in the discipline that you applied for a PhD in.

Also, notification varies by country, not discipline so try to figure out when your country usually notifies for an approximate date.

Hey, congrats watersnake!

Did the DGS mention any stats as to how many applicants and how many they're admitting?

Hi jmb04,

If you're still interested, Yale apparently received approx. 280 applications and they're admitting between 11-14. Official acceptances mailed at the end of last week. This is all I know. :(

Hey everyone,

I'm new to posting on this board, although I've been lurking for awhile. I've been wondering about the acceptance/rejection process. If some acceptances have been posted either here or on the results board, and I have not yet heard anything, should I take that as an implied rejection? In other words, do you ever find out you've been accepted through a snail mail official acceptance letter - or is there always some type of previous personal contact between professor/DGS and applicant?

Someone put me out of my misery!!

Thanks!

Hey everyone,

I'm new to posting on this board, although I've been lurking for awhile. I've been wondering about the acceptance/rejection process. If some acceptances have been posted either here or on the results board, and I have not yet heard anything, should I take that as an implied rejection? In other words, do you ever find out you've been accepted through a snail mail official acceptance letter - or is there always some type of previous personal contact between professor/DGS and applicant?

Thanks!

I wouldn't yet assume that you haven't been admitted to any of the programs to which you applied. Having said that, I did hear from all the programs to which I was accepted before the physical letter arrived in my mailbox. In short, I'd say that programs all differ slightly in their admissions processes and protocols, so don't fret.

Hey everyone,

Thanks!

I would not assume "no news" to automatically = "bad news" In this day and age, most profs/DGS will contact students directly via email, but that isn't always the case.

Let the Yale bloodbath begin! wink.gif

Just got my Yale rejection. I offer my condolences and commiseration to everyone else that received the same e-mail. Still waiting on 6 schools, so here's hoping.

Just got my Yale rejection. I offer my condolences and commiseration to everyone else that received the same e-mail. Still waiting on 6 schools, so here's hoping.

Good luck to you on the remaining 6 schools. :)

I'm waiting on one (and a half) more.

At least Yale put us out of our misery in a timely fashion. Still waiting on UPenn, Columbia, Harvard, Princeton, NYU IFA, CUNY, and Courtauld, though I'm thinking it's a bad sign that I've seen board activity for all but Princeton and CUNY and haven't heard anything.

Speaking of Courtauld...is there anyone else who HASN'T received a decision on 2nd round yet? I'm so confused -- I got an email THIS morning (March 1) informing me that my application had been passed to my 2nd round choice and I'd receive a final decision on (wait for it...) February 25th! WHAT?

Is there anyone else out there who has yet to hear back from Chicago? I'm on the east coast and assumed that (acknowledging weather-related postal disruptions) I would have at least gotten something by today--but still, nothing.

PS: Good luck to the person wait-listed for Yale!

I'm still waiting on Chicago, but I'm in a fairly rural part of northern California so that may account for the lag.

Man, Yale really dropped the big one today. Boom.

Also, echoing an earlier poster, I too am curious about Pton- anyone heard anything? I'm guessing Columbia and Harvard are done with their initial round (if there is even a second round?), based on the postings.

Cheers.

Is there anyone else out there who has yet to hear back from Chicago? I'm on the east coast and assumed that (acknowledging weather-related postal disruptions) I would have at least gotten something by today--but still, nothing.

PS: Good luck to the person wait-listed for Yale!

I have yet to hear anything from Chicago. I'm located in NYC...

What does it all mean?! There's just no way to decipher it all.

I'm still waiting on Chicago, but I'm in a fairly rural part of northern California so that may account for the lag.

Man, Yale really dropped the big one today. Boom.

Also, echoing an earlier poster, I too am curious about Pton- anyone heard anything? I'm guessing Columbia and Harvard are done with their initial round (if there is even a second round?), based on the postings.

Cheers.

I'm also in NYC and haven't heard from U-Chicago yet. From what I understood, Harvard's grad office (not the department) would be giving final decisions in the next week or two. I also had an informal interview with my POI at Princeton about 2.5 weeks ago (I think mostly gauging my interest), so I am assuming they are in a similar holding pattern as no one else has reported a decision yea or nay yet.

I'm sure everything will be shaking out very quickly from this point on. Most the Ivy's seem to have spring break coming up mid- to late March so everything should be in place by then.

I'm also in NYC and haven't heard from U-Chicago yet. From what I understood, Harvard's grad office (not the department) would be giving final decisions in the next week or two. I also had an informal interview with my POI at Princeton about 2.5 weeks ago (I think mostly gauging my interest), so I am assuming they are in a similar holding pattern as no one else has reported a decision yea or nay yet.

I'm sure everything will be shaking out very quickly from this point on. Most the Ivy's seem to have spring break coming up mid- to late March so everything should be in place by then.

I'm in NYC and got a Chicago rejection letter on Thursday or Friday, so I'd guess that silence is perhaps good news -- at the very least, you're probably still in the running. Also, there weren't any waitlists posted for Chicago as far as I recall, only admits and rejections, so perhaps some or all of you were waitlisted? Regardless, you appear to have made it past the first cut, so congratulations!

For anyone interested, Michigan letters are supposed to go out today, according to someone at their office.

Thanks for the info! Do you know if they send both acceptances and rejections snail mail, or just rejections?