History of Art MA/PHD 2010

ne4810

Did anyone else on this board apply to MIT's History, Theory & Criticism program? I'm guessing it's a lost cause at this point, but I'd be curious to know what people have heard.

I have no record of anyone posting any results on gradcafe about it, nor have I heard personally from any of my friends who also applied. I'd say you are still in the running. Keep your chin up! :)

Looks like we were all wrong about the next school to throw down the guillotine! Wasn't expecting to hear from Columbia since they notified late last year. Getting rejected from my #1 choice sucks, but I got my first acceptance (CUNY) this morning, so that lessened the blow. After getting back to back rejections from Chicago, Yale, and Princeton, I was starting to panic.

CUNY admits, what areas are you in? Any fellow contemporary people?

Looks like we were all wrong about the next school to throw down the guillotine! Wasn't expecting to hear from Columbia since they notified late last year. Getting rejected from my #1 choice sucks, but I got my first acceptance (CUNY) this morning, so that lessened the blow. After getting back to back rejections from Chicago, Yale, and Princeton, I was starting to panic.

This might have a totally obvious answer that I'm choosing to ignore in my state of absolute panic, but how is Columbia posting rejections from the future? It's totally not March 5th yet in NYC, from what I can tell.

This might have a totally obvious answer that I'm choosing to ignore in my state of absolute panic, but how is Columbia posting rejections from the future? It's totally not March 5th yet in NYC, from what I can tell.

The GradCafe website is set to a different time zone (for instance, your post is timestamped March 5th 3:21 AM) and unless you manually change it, the results page posts the date/time to whenever you submit it.

The GradCafe website is set to a different time zone (for instance, your post is timestamped March 5th 3:21 AM) and unless you manually change it, the results page posts the date/time to whenever you submit it.

Haha, thank you - makes sense. I'm definitely blaming it all on the panic, & etc.

I got into CUNY as well. Congrats to you! My concentration is medieval art, though I'm not sure if I'll end up here due to the crazy funding situation.

To the person short listed at Harvard, have you heard anything more? If admitted students been notified already (unofficially or officially)?

Haven't heard a darn thing for a week and a half--officially or unofficially. This week I would guess/hope? Their spring break starts Saturday so it has got to be before then...

I just noticed on the results page that someone else posted for NYU's IFA Conservation program. To that person: I am curious if you found out anything about funding? I hear it is pretty stingy at the IFA, but I believe the conservation program may be different. Anyone out there currently at the IFA or can give me any info about it?

Also, the interview process sounds very involved. I spoke with the Administrator about it...

Hi - I noticed that there were some NYU IFA - Phd Applicants who mentioned they would be interviewing. I knew that conservation students would be interviewing, but are they really interviewing Phd applicants as well? If I didn't get an interview should I assume a reject?

Thanks.

Guest Amon-Ra

So, this week I'm freaking out about the University of Chicago. It looks like they accepted students in late January and early February and have been sending rejections ever since. One accepted student even posted in results that there was a new students weekend at the end of February, which makes me think the school must be pretty set in its choices. Do you think all those who haven't yet heard should assume it's a slow-moving rejection? (Why would they do this? Why not just send out emails immediately when they know we have no shot?) I really, really admire the program, and don't want to keep hoping if the window is clearly passed.

Also, about NYU, I heard that they are interviewing PhD as well as conservation candidates, but I know there are schools (Courtauld for ex.) that interview some but not all of their accepted students, so I wouldn't necessarily assume no interview means no admittance.

So, this week I'm freaking out about the University of Chicago. It looks like they accepted students in late January and early February and have been sending rejections ever since. One accepted student even posted in results that there was a new students weekend at the end of February, which makes me think the school must be pretty set in its choices. Do you think all those who haven't yet heard should assume it's a slow-moving rejection? (Why would they do this? Why not just send out emails immediately when they know we have no shot?) I really, really admire the program, and don't want to keep hoping if the window is clearly passed.

Also, about NYU, I heard that they are interviewing PhD as well as conservation candidates, but I know there are schools (Courtauld for ex.) that interview some but not all of their accepted students, so I wouldn't necessarily assume no interview means no admittance.

Regarding the University of Chicago, I was wait-listed at the end of February, but haven't heard anything since. I received a letter in the mail, dated February 25th, telling me they expect to admit a number of applicants from the waiting list, and that they would contact me if and when funding becomes available (i.e. when however many admitted students accept spots at other schools). The letter also said that, even though they hope to be able to finalize their list by mid-April, they might be making admission offers beyond then, depending how things pan out. Needless to say, I'm pretty anxious! Anyway, I don't know what this might say about your own admissions status, but I hope it's helpful.

I was passed over in the first big round of Chicago rejects, but received one in the mail a couple of days ago. I have absolutely no idea what it meant to receive the news so much later. Anyway, I'm super bummed, but I still am a huge fan of the program--good luck!!!

Edited by alaslesenfants

I just noticed on the results page that someone else posted for NYU's IFA Conservation program. To that person: I am curious if you found out anything about funding? I hear it is pretty stingy at the IFA, but I believe the conservation program may be different. Anyone out there currently at the IFA or can give me any info about it?

Also, the interview process sounds very involved. I spoke with the Administrator about it...

The IFA is very stingy with financial aid; however, as you say, the conservation program is different and has its own independent funding. They actually treat their student very well, in terms of support, especially because they take only 4-6 people. I believe they do interview most applicants, though, who at least seem to have a decent background. So even at the interview stage, it is still very competitive (though the interview is not nearly as rigorgous as other conservation programs).

In terms of PhD interviews - they didn't typically do so in the past, but this year is the first year they have started with their new MA track vs PhD track admissions process. Before everyone came in and had the same requirements, while now there are two seperate tracks - so they may have started interviewing PhDs, because they are promised funding.

Did anyone else get a rather cryptic message from Tufts today? Looking at the results from years past, it seems that they usually contact admitted students by phone. I wonder if this e-mail is a precursor to a rejection letter.

No I didn't get an email from them....what did the email say if you don't mind me asking? I kind of gave up on Tufts anyway after I accidentally attached my Williams statement of purpose to the online app. I called them and told them and they said I could mail them a hard copy with my supplemental materials. But I'm pretty sure that sending the wrong personal statement is a guaranteed method to the trash can. Haha oh welll....let me know what happens!

To those who got rejections from NYU IFA, were you interviewed? Also, did you ask to be considered for both the PhD and the MA? I live in NYC and haven't gotten a rejection letter, which I suppose might be a slightly positive sign, but I did ask to be considered for both tracks and didn't get called for an interview, so thinking that I might have been passed over to the MA pile.

Also, Harvard admit (congrats!) was the email an official departmental offer letter, or something from a POI? Any indication of when the bulk of letters are going out?

I second the congrats to the Harvard admit and am also very curious if it was from the department or a POI.

Thanks for the congratulations! The email came from the department administrator but was written and signed from the director of graduate studies, who is also my POI. However the letter was not personal (more like an official departmental offer) and included funding information etc. saying official letter from the Graduate School would follow in the next few days. It also said that the faculty most close to your area of interest would call today or tomorrow, and my POI called me this afternoon. For what its worth he said it was an extraordinarily competitive application class.

The IFA is very stingy with financial aid; however, as you say, the conservation program is different and has its own independent funding. They actually treat their student very well, in terms of support, especially because they take only 4-6 people. I believe they do interview most applicants, though, who at least seem to have a decent background. So even at the interview stage, it is still very competitive (though the interview is not nearly as rigorgous as other conservation programs).

In terms of PhD interviews - they didn't typically do so in the past, but this year is the first year they have started with their new MA track vs PhD track admissions process. Before everyone came in and had the same requirements, while now there are two seperate tracks - so they may have started interviewing PhDs, because they are promised funding.

Thanks Shadow! Do you have any idea what an average stipend is at the IFA? Also, if you have any additional details about the Conservation program or about the IFA in general it would be greatly appreciated!

I have been accepted into an MA program with partial funding. In the acceptance letter, they said that if I don't accept the admission by March 19th, they are going to assume I don't want it. This program is a great fit for me and I will probably accept their offer, but I am still waiting to hear back from three schools and would rather make a decision when I hold all the cards. So, what does one do in this situation? Is it okay to ask for an extension? How do I ask for one? Also, what happens if I accept their offer and then withdraw later? Thanks!