University of Florida

bgguitarist

So, what do you all think of the location? I've never been to Florida (will be visiting next week) and because I'm coming from a small town with nothing to do (I mean, less than 20,000 residents), I am petrified of ending up in another small town with nothing to do. It looks like a pretty cool place, but it is hard to tell online.

So, what do you all think of the location? I've never been to Florida (will be visiting next week) and because I'm coming from a small town with nothing to do (I mean, less than 20,000 residents), I am petrified of ending up in another small town with nothing to do. It looks like a pretty cool place, but it is hard to tell online.

I visited for a few days and I thought it was pretty nice. I'm coming from a bigger city and am actually looking forward to the smaller college town feel of it. 

It's got a decent music scene, lots of restaurants, lots of nature/hiking places around, plenty of bars....guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you like sports, UF goes all out for pretty much everything, but of course particularly for football.

I also like that it's a pretty short drive to some other major cities in Florida (Tampa, Orlando, etc) and from both coasts. 

• 2 weeks later...

About 95% certain that I will be going...

I visited for a few days and I thought it was pretty nice. I'm coming from a bigger city and am actually looking forward to the smaller college town feel of it. 

It's got a decent music scene, lots of restaurants, lots of nature/hiking places around, plenty of bars....guess it depends on what you're looking for. If you like sports, UF goes all out for pretty much everything, but of course particularly for football.

I also like that it's a pretty short drive to some other major cities in Florida (Tampa, Orlando, etc) and from both coasts. 

I'm originally from Orlando and did my undergrad in Tallahassee... not looking forward to living in Gainesville at all but it's the best choice for me.

I just hope I find a good group of friends who don't mind taking weekend trips to Jacksonville every so often.

It's definitely not a big city, but I like Gainesville. As DarwinGirl mentioned, the school basically revolves around football (the whole town shuts down for homecoming). So, you can tailgate and go to games. There is also a small professional theatre which is really good. You can go hiking in Paynes Prairie and hangout with the alligators there. There are some decent bars. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If anyone has not received the link to register for general orientation, here it is http://bit.ly/1yQZbda. It is on Monday, August 18th. I have been working here for about 8 months and it is a pretty nice community. Small town (everything is 15 minutes away tops) good bus and bike routes. There is a large undergrad population but the worst (rowdiest) is contained mostly to the north end of the university. Very dog friendly too!