Hunter College vs. Institute of Fine Arts

annabelle18

Hello!

I have just been accepted to MA in Art History programs at Hunter College and NYU's Institute of Fine Arts. My specialization is in Modern and Contemporary Art. I am really unsure of which program to choose as they both are wonderful and have their own strengths and weaknesses. I was wondering if anyone who is familiar with the programs (courses, faculty, etc.) could throw their two cents in. Anything would help.

Thanks! :)

I was accepted to some MAs with full funding, and chose to go to the IFA with very little funding.  I had identified a specific advisor that I wanted to work with, so I think it was worth it (even though I have loans now that I'll probably have to pay back for the next 50 years).  When it came time to apply for Ph.D. programs, I applied in the NY area only, and got into two top programs with funding and got waitlisted at the IFA.  I know that many people in my cohort at the IFA applied to Ph.D. programs around the country and didn't get in anywhere.  Unless you have a specific advisor that you want to work with at the IFA, I don't know if it will be worth it.  The level of study at Hunter seems as competitive as at the IFA, but without the name and prestige.  If money is not an issue, choose the IFA.  If not, I would go with Hunter because it is as good as the IFA for Modern and Contemporary, but a lot cheaper.  CUNY seems to also give their students more scholarly opportunities than the IFA, where I had to scramble myself to find conferences to apply to and work on papers for publishing quite independently.  It seems like you'll get more individual attention at Hunter, rather than the IFA focuses on its Ph.D. students a lot more than the MAs.  You will also be able to take classes at the Grad Center, which honestly is a lot more intense than the IFA.

I was accepted to some MAs with full funding, and chose to go to the IFA with very little funding.  I had identified a specific advisor that I wanted to work with, so I think it was worth it (even though I have loans now that I'll probably have to pay back for the next 50 years).  When it came time to apply for Ph.D. programs, I applied in the NY area only, and got into two top programs with funding and got waitlisted at the IFA.  I know that many people in my cohort at the IFA applied to Ph.D. programs around the country and didn't get in anywhere.  Unless you have a specific advisor that you want to work with at the IFA, I don't know if it will be worth it.  The level of study at Hunter seems as competitive as at the IFA, but without the name and prestige.  If money is not an issue, choose the IFA.  If not, I would go with Hunter because it is as good as the IFA for Modern and Contemporary, but a lot cheaper.  CUNY seems to also give their students more scholarly opportunities than the IFA, where I had to scramble myself to find conferences to apply to and work on papers for publishing quite independently.  It seems like you'll get more individual attention at Hunter, rather than the IFA focuses on its Ph.D. students a lot more than the MAs.  You will also be able to take classes at the Grad Center, which honestly is a lot more intense than the IFA.

Thanks! There are people I would like to work with at both programs and, luckily, my decision isn't solely based on cost (although it is very important to me). I am wondering, since the programs are very similar and of equal caliber, how much the name and prestige of the IFA is worth? My main concern is choosing a program that will afford me better opportunities for job placement after graduation. I'm very torn as I think both programs are excellent!

The top comment is pretty dead on I think.  I also think it depends on what you are interested in doing.  If you fully intend on going on to your PhD, both are great programs and will probably be excellent in setting you up for such a prospect.  If that is the case, I would honestly just say go with whichever one is cheaper (hopefully you are in-state).  IFA is probably more prestigious I guess, but I think that is more in regards to their PhD program.  I have heard many professors of mine say that they think that the MA for both Columbia and IFA are a bit of "cash cow" programs, where basically the cohort is kind of large and they charge ridiculous prices because they know they can and people will still flock there.  I am guessing that Hunter is cheaper, so that might be a better bet for you, and they (as well as IFA of course) have an excellent PhD placement record.

However, if you are not set on doing the PhD I would say go to IFA, if only for the name.  Sadly, outside of academia, saying you have a degree from NYU is going to get your farther in the job market than one from Hunter.  Outside of NYC and academia, Hunter isn't too well known.  That is absolutely not the case if you are continuing to your PhD with a degree from Hunter, though.  

Don't stress though, both are amazing!

Edited by helpmegradcafe

The top comment is pretty dead on I think. I also think it depends on what you are interested in doing. If you fully intend on going on to your PhD, both are great programs and will probably be excellent in setting you up for such a prospect. If that is the case, I would honestly just say go with whichever one is cheaper (hopefully you are in-state). IFA is probably more prestigious I guess, but I think that is more in regards to their PhD program. I have heard many professors of mine say that they think that the MA for both Columbia and IFA are a bit of "cash cow" programs, where basically the cohort is kind of large and they charge ridiculous prices because they know they can and people will still flock there. I am guessing that Hunter is cheaper, so that might be a better bet for you, and they (as well as IFA of course) have an excellent PhD placement record.

However, if you are not set on doing the PhD I would say go to IFA, if only for the name. Sadly, outside of academia, saying you have a degree from NYU is going to get your farther in the job market than one from Hunter. Outside of NYC and academia, Hunter isn't too well known. That is absolutely not the case if you are continuing to your PhD with a degree from Hunter, though.

Don't stress though, both are amazing!

Thank you! Again, this is very helpful. I am considering doing a PhD in the future but at this point I am not 100% definite. I would like to work professionally for a few years after I graduate. I did my undergrad at NYU and had an incredible experience. I will most likely be looking for jobs in NYC when I graduate also, so if hunter is well-known and respected here maybe the difference between Hunter and the IFA is negligible?

Hi annabelle! I also think all the advice above is spot on, which is to say that the Hunter MA has the potential to afford you just as many (if not more) opportunities as the IFA MA. When I visited Hunter in December I spoke with several students who had been admitted to the IFA MA and to Columbia's MODA but had ultimately decided to attend Hunter; all had extremely positive things to say about their decision. I specifically asked them how people responded to Hunter being on their resumes (instead of IFA or MODA) as they moved about the art/internship world and they all said they had the sense that Hunter was extremely well respected - some even said better respected than these other programs.

That said, it's definitely a personal choice. Have you had the opportunity to visit Hunter? I know you say you did your undergrad at NYU - have you been able to get a feeling of the IFA program's culture? At Hunter there are no PhDs to compete with, which in my opinion could be a huge plus. And for NYC study, you truly cannot beat the price of Hunter. 

But I'm biased, of course! I'll be attending Hunter in the fall and hope to see you there!  :)

I'm currently attending Hunter, and I can tell you firsthand that the program does not have the reputation of a cash cow like IFA and MODA.  Not only is the faculty very well respected, check out Joachim Pissarro, Emily Braun, Katy Siegal, William Agee…the list goes on, but many students work at major institutions throughout the city, so it's also a great place to make professional contacts.  My experience with the Hunter name has been positive.  Just recently a major gallery owner said "that's an excellent program," when I mentioned that I'm a student there.  I think any program in NYC gives you an edge when applying for jobs outside of the city, so I wouldn't be concerned about that.  

I honestly think that is the right choice.  Hunter has a great program with people comparable to the IFA, but you will get more personalized attention and probably more help with your Ph.D. applications than I did!

Just wanted to note that at the end of the day, prestige is not the main thing for getting into programs or getting jobs.  I know people from Hunter who have gotten dream jobs that IFA students weren't qualified for because they did not get as intensive a training.  Bottom line, you will probably be a better scholar coming out of Hunter.  I wish sometimes that someone would have given me that advice at the time, although I don't regret my decision.

abilap, Thank you for your candid answers. They are very helpful! If I can ask, what do you think of the PhD programs at the IFA versus the CUNY grad program. You seem to think very highly of CUNY and I was wondering if the reservations you had about the IFA's MA program (the many positives notwithstanding) still held true for those at the doctoral level. You said the CUNY classes are more intense than those at the IFA, what did you mean?

Thanks for any help you can give me! And congratulations to those lucky ones who get to pick between the two programs!