When to move?

Hopephily

I'm currently doing an americorps program and have a second job, so I will be cutting super close. Top choice is about 4 hours away driving, so I might move my stuff up to my new apartment in mid August and stay in my current apt until I finish my hours for the term. Hoping to be permanently moved in at least 2 days before the start of class.

I'm hoping to move early in July. Not sure yet how this is going to work financially, but I'd like to get settled and acquainted with the new city before throwing myself into the program.

I'm leaning this way because I like the idea of getting settled in before I get overwhelmed with work, but of course it depends on the $crilla.  I'm also concerned about finding places to live. It seems to me a lot of students will be moving out in late spring/early summer and so one might have the best options then. 

Edited by Hopephily

As someone who moved really, really close to the start date, I recommend that people move earlier. I know that you want to hang out with your friends, make money, etc., but it's much, much easier to start a new career if you give yourself time to adjust.

Seriously? This is unfortunate.

Yeah, though there are a lot of summer sublets, also because of the number of students... you might be able to get a furnished one, and then move your stuff for sept. 1

As someone who moved really, really close to the start date, I recommend that people move earlier. I know that you want to hang out with your friends, make money, etc., but it's much, much easier to start a new career if you give yourself time to adjust.

More than say, a week and a half? How much would be a good "adjustment" time?

I would give myself a month. That gives you lots of time to unpack, figure out where things are in the new city (especially the cheapest grocery stores), start making new friends, and get rested up. Moving is stressful. Plus you can start getting to know the department people early.

I would give myself a month. That gives you lots of time to unpack, figure out where things are in the new city (especially the cheapest grocery stores), start making new friends, and get rested up. Moving is stressful. Plus you can start getting to know the department people early.

I don't know that I'd want a whole month's worth of floating time. (This is coming from a military family though - everything got done on a very compressed timeline.) I think some of the timeline you might want to give yourself is dependent on the size of the town/city you're moving to. In a small town, if you have a car -- I can't imagine needing a month to figure out which grocery store is the cheapest when you could hit them all in a day. But if you live in a major city, I imagine it's going to be mostly dependent on what's nearby, even if you do have a car. You'd be finding your neighborhood bodega, so to speak -- and with google maps, I think that could be fairly painless. 

The majority of things I think can be found online nowadays: nearby dentists, doctors, schools (if you need them for children), grocery stores, bookstores, malls, electric companies, cable companies, libraries, churches, hospitals, etc. Nowadays all you need to do is google a city and a hobby and you can probably find like minded friends - boxing, knitting, what have you.

So I would invest time into getting to know people in the department, unpacking, and maybe figuring out local transportation and the layout of the city/town/school. I could see maybe wanting two weeks, but I'd be afraid I would get side tracked in unpacking if I thought I had all the time in the world! Haha. 

Between 2-4 weeks is good. I'd say 3: spend the first week settling in, the second week hanging out with your new colleagues and the third doing absolutely nothing - you won't get another chance for a long time.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm moving next month. It's quick... but my wife and I found the perfect place and we don't wanna lose. Here's to living in Red Stick or the next two years!