Favorite Field-Related Tattoos

PhDerp

Hah, sorry. From reading your last post I thought you were Native. My bad. Yea, generally speaking a NA tattoo on a non-NA is a bad idea. Never well received. Also, though, I had a TOTALLY different understanding of what the Ghost Dance was and how it was received... Wovoka, right? He was a prophet. He predicted the second comming of Christ and gave the people the ghost dance to inspire hope. I mean, I know each tribe gave it their own meaning, really, but there was no negative energy associated with it; except for the white people.

Yup! A past co-worker of mine was Wovoka's relative, through the latter's "adoption." His family has always been in that area, though, so it was amazing to have someone who knew the significance of every tree, canyon, river elbow, field, mountain face.. pretty amazing. Apparently people still go to Yerington to pay their respects to Wovoka; the people who own the farm where a Ghost Dance rock corral is located have woken up smiling a few times to the sound of drums, singing, flutes, etc. coming from the corral. The Ghost dance was more or less all good & dandy in the Basin & Plains, but the Navajo — who, at least now, have a relatively huge membership — had (have?) a lot of religious ghost taboos, so the idea of bringing the dead (who never really left unless they were excellent people) back wasn't too popular.

tree-dna-web.jpg

Not my field, but I really like the "tree of life" concept. A photo-realistic tree (see: Nikko Hurtado's work) would be amazing with this, I think!

oetzi_die_taetowierungen.jpg?1228469136

One of Ötzi's tattoos, possibly used for therapeutic purposes. He had over 50, mostly on the areas of his body that showed lots of stress. I love mummies that still have some of their tattoos visible. ^_^

Ohhh, those Mucha pieces are so gorgeous! I've considered incorporating Whistler's "Nocturne in Black & Gold" into my (eventual) full sleeve. I wonder if there are any Klimt tattoos floating around the interwebs?

This thread is making me want to get more tatts!! LOVE the Mucha and the Guernica sleeve is briliant... makes me want to know whose arm that is. I have definitely thought about a significant art piece inked somewhere... but nothing's clicked yet. I can never get something simply because I like the way it looks; it has to have a personal significance, you know?

related: as someone of native/mexican descent if I see one more white girl with a sugar skull tattoo, I might lose it. 

As a mixed-race person, I find this offensive. Skin color and ethnicity are not the same thing. Don't assume you know someone's race by looking at them. I have a good friend who is half Mexican, raised in a culturally Mexican household, speaks Spanish fluently and looks like a brunette white girl. Cultural appropriation is one thing if you know that's what's going on, but don't presume to judge people you don't know.

Famous art history pieces:

Mucha: 

I was not aware of this "Mucha" before this thread, but i fthe original works are have as gorgeous as these tattoos, I MUST get to know this artist!

As a mixed-race person, I find this offensive. Skin color and ethnicity are not the same thing. Don't assume you know someone's race by looking at them. I have a good friend who is half Mexican, raised in a culturally Mexican household, speaks Spanish fluently and looks like a brunette white girl. Cultural appropriation is one thing if you know that's what's going on, but don't presume to judge people you don't know.

I was not aware of this "Mucha" before this thread, but i fthe original works are have as gorgeous as these tattoos, I MUST get to know this artist!

I'm ALSO mixed race and appear white. ;) I still have run into people I know for a fact are white and only white, and get sugar skull tattoos with little or no regard to their meaning because "it looks so cute!" Trust me, I'm the last person to assume I know someone's race -- I've been on the receiving end of very nasty accusations I'm lying about being of native-mexican descent -- but I've still run into plenty of people who are NOT latin@ and identify as white doing this. That is my complaint. Incidentally my complaint is also that because people who are white do appropriate these symbols, if I were to ever get a sugar skull tattooed in honor of someone I had lost, it would look like and be assumed I was also appropriating that imagery, instead of people assuming a very pale latina taking part in her own culture. I resent that. But trust me, we don't disagree re: visuals of race. 

That said:

Mucha tattoos are one of my all time favorites. 

tumblr_mp5qboqqac1s4j88qo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mkek5ttuRU1s4j88qo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mkdhfy97eL1rwsc7xo1_500.jpg

tumblr_mdocsxmwT81rzpinxo1_500.jpg

I also love this one on a librarian - cool incorporation of text:

tumblr_mzk25eBMUU1rkfonfo8_500.jpg

Also cool: http://tattoohistorian.tumblr.com

Edited by m-ttl

Life.

Seriously...? You can't pretend to ignore the fact that MAD white girls cover themselves with culturally inappropriate designs. What you're talking about is the exception... not the rule. #Sadbuttrue

Also... Klimt Tattoo= My Life.

Seriously...? You can't pretend to ignore the fact that MAD white girls cover themselves with culturally inappropriate designs. What you're talking about is the exception... not the rule. #Sadbuttrue

Also... Klimt Tattoo= My Life.

I know white girls culturally appropriate. Not saying that I think poster isn't justified in her frustration and irritation at that. Just saying that she doesn't have a leg to stand on if she's assuming that everyone she's looking at is culturally appropriating without knowing their story. As she said, since she looks white probably some men and women of native-mexican decent would probably think the same of her. I am a mixed race person of ambiguous skin color and no one has ever been able to guess my ethnicity by looking at me. I can't decide what's more offensive, when someone imposes an ethnicity on me, or when they ask me the oh-so-politely phrased question "what are you?"

Point being: You don't fucking know people until you know them. So give them the benefit of the doubt.

and Klimt is awesome.

Edited by roguesenna

I know white girls culturally appropriate. Not saying that I think poster isn't justified in her frustration and irritation at that. Just saying that she doesn't have a leg to stand on if she's assuming that everyone she's looking at is culturally appropriating without knowing their story. As she said, since she looks white probably some men and women of native-mexican decent would probably think the same of her. I am a mixed race person of ambiguous skin color and no one has ever been able to guess my ethnicity by looking at me. I can't decide what's more offensive, when someone imposes an ethnicity on me, or when they ask me the oh-so-politely phrased question "what are you?"

Point being: You don't fucking know people until you know them. So give them the benefit of the doubt.

and Klimt is awesome.

Agreed.