Accepted to NYU Psych Masters…now what?

scate2014

I know, I know. Common question. I've read all the arguments for/agains masters programs in psych and I still don't know what to do. Here's my situation. I double majored in psych and neuroscience in undergrad. Graduated with a pretty bad GPA (3.0). I've been working in neurobiology research labs for two and a half years. I want to go into cognitive psych/cognitive neuro so that's kind of a departure from the stuff I have experience in. I didn't want to have to pay for a masters so I decided to apply to a few PhD programs. Admittedly, I kind of rushed the applications because I decided really late and I only applied to five or so, all in my area. When I started getting rejections back, I also applied to some masters programs.

I just found out I got into the NYU masters. Initially I was ecstatic because I don't like the field I'm in now and want to get started on my journey. Now, I'm feeling a little discouraged looking at what everyone has to say about it. I'm really hesitant to uproot my life in the city I live in to go to NYC and pay an arm and a leg for a program that may or may not help me, but I'm not confident I'll get into PhD programs with my GPA if I apply again next year.

For reference, my GRE is 158 quant, 154 verbal, 4.5 writing. Strong LORs (I think), two publications (in neurobiology field). 

HELP.

In very general, research experience is more highly valued in psychology than an MA.  That's of course not true in all cases.  In your case, it's debatable - your GPA is lowish but it's not abominable.  What's your major GPA?

By your own admission, you rushed the process because you applied late and only applied to 5 programs, which is pretty low for psych admissions.  Why don't you defer the NYU admission for a year and use the time to really launch a full, serious application cycle?  I honestly don't think that the NYU master's is worth the money as leverage into a PhD program - if you wanted an MA first to boost chances then I would say go for an MA at a public university.

congrats on the acceptance! i'd say go for research experiences if you're really up for a

ph.d in psych.

just out of curiosity, did you apply for ph.d but got accepted

to ma?

Edited by gagababe

Thanks for the feedback everyone. No, I didn't apply to the NYU PhD (missed the deadline). gagababe are you saying I shouldn't go to NYU and should try to work in a lab instead? The reason I'm leaning towards an MA is because I've tried REALLY hard to get jobs in labs that interest me (cognitive psych) but am having a really hard time finding anything but jobs in neurobiology which is the field in which I have the most experience. For me, it seems like the best way to get experience in the field I'm interested in would be to do an MA…thoughts?

Secate2014, I like the way you approach. MA first and then PhD. My impression is that although your GPA is not quite competitive, but you really have good chunk of research experience. So, based on your background, I don't see why you shouldn't apply for phD directly. Based on your own unsettled interest, I think MA sounds better. Wait, first of all, are there any big difference between MA and PhD? I heard so many people going for a PhD and later on realize that it is not their cup of tea and switch to Masters. I also heard people initially getting Masters but later on realize that PhD is acutally ideal for them.... Does the division line have to be thus clear? Please feel free to give advice....

but nyu psyc is famous (notorious) for +200 ma students, no real care from the faculty, very little research opps for their ma students. instead youd be taking a lot of CLASSES for two years and i get the feeling that this is not what you're going for.

i heard boston college psyc ma is smaller size, gives research opps for students as well.

i get the feeling that you're one of the few students who received early acceptance notifications ;) may i ask when did you submit your applications?

gagababe, i have heard that about NYU but at this point i think it might be good for me to do really well in masters level classes to prove i can do it (because of my low undergrad gpa). i applied to boston college and got denied - they only accepted one person last year! i'm still waiting to hear from boston university - what are your thoughts on that one? i literally submitted my application for NYU last  sunday night...so i heard back from them in one week. crazy.

You absolutely need to do a Master's. Your GPA is too low to be taken seriously by any good PhD program, and you'll need to fix it by showing them you can get a 3.8+ in a Master's program. The fact that you already have some research experience is a big plus, but you'll be cut right away without having a great Master's GPA to make up for your bad undergrad GPA.

That being said, I might look for another Master's than NYU. I've heard bad things. An optimal program would be one where you could work with faculty and do real research.

Is your NYU master gonna be in the Steinhardt school? I recently got an acceptance from there for a counseling program too but they stated that you cannot defer the acceptance :/ Your gpa is kinda low considering your major GPA is even lower. I think you can get into a PhD program but it would be hard for you to get into a really really good one (imo). I think it's best for you to go for a master and show that you can do well in the classroom. You can even pick up some research experience along the way to boost your resume.

Thanks jakem. I'm still waiting to hear back from Boston University and Brandeis - do you think either of those would be a better choice? If I only get into NYU do you think I should go for that one? I just want to be doing something that helps my application and if NYU is my only option I feel like I should do it.

I'm currently in a masters program at NYU.  I'm not in a Psychology program, but I took a psych class, clicked with the professor and now we are working on research together.  I'm also doing a research project with my advisor.  I don't love my program, but I love NYU.  For me, the tuition is worth it since I was able to get loans, go to school part time, and keep working.  You can find research opportunities, but you will need to network.  My advice is to visit the campus and talk to professors before you accept.  See if you fit in to the culture, and if you have an affinity with any professors with research interests similar to yours.  I imagine you are going to have a hard time getting into a PhD program with your undergrad GPA, a great masters GPA should help, and seems to be the best option if you're unable to get a research position.

Edited by somerandomperson