HDS thread 2014

Averroes MD

I figured I'd create a thread just for HDS folks. That way I don't flood the board with all my questions.

First question: for those moving in late August/September (i.e. not doing summer intensive), when are you starting to look for apartments? I've been searching the interwebs but it looks like now may be too early ...

Also, is Harvard Graduate Housing a good option? What are the chances of actually getting it? Slim?

Edited by Averroes MD

I figured I'd create a thread just for HDS folks. That way I don't flood the board with all my questions.

First question: for those moving in late August/September (i.e. not doing summer intensive), when are you starting to look for apartments? I've been searching the interwebs but it looks like now may be too early ...

Also, is Harvard Graduate Housing a good option? What are the chances of actually getting it? Slim?

It is too early yet to be looking, but the time is coming soon to start looking. Reddit r/boston is a good place to consult when looking for housing, for tips, roommates, etc. They posted an insanely helpful guide (here: http://www.reddit.com/r/boston/comments/1y4hy9/so_youre_moving_to_bostonlets_make_a_guide/) a month ago with all sorts of words of wisdom. There's also a really good blog entry from The Boston Calendar (http://blog.thebostoncalendar.com/how-to-hunt-for-an-apartment-in-boston/) that goes over the insanity that is finding housing. 

Honestly, I haven't heard tremendously amazing things about Grad Housing. It tends to mostly be international students and scholars who need something reliable and won't have the ability to really search for apartments beforehand. Some of the grad housing is basically identical to living in a dorm. Most everyone I know in grad school at Harvard lives off-campus in Cambridge or Somerville. More freedom, more of a distance from campus, etc. Boston/Cambridge/Somerville is too awesome an area to get caught up in the campus bubble, and living off-campus makes that less likely to happen.

It is too early to sign a lease but not too early to strst investigating. As a returning hu alum I want to see if the "best" places to lives are still the best and otherwise hunt out the secret gems.....but it also comes to what you want , what is available and you can afford

Thanks for your replies. I guess I will wait a couple months but still keep an ear to the ground.

Grad forum religion has been really boring recently. No activity. Let's shake it up in here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For Harvard Housing, what upfront costs exist?

I know they don't take a realtor's fee. What about first and last month's rent? When is that due?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Parking could be a bit of a challenge, and might get expensive in that there just isn't a ton of it available in the near environs of HDS, and what is costs money.  Depending on where you are in Arlington, there are a fair number of buses that run right into Harvard station with some frequency (the 77 being the most frequent and running right down Mass Ave.).  Others might be able to speak more to this, but even biking when the weather permits might be an easier option.

REAL bad idea -

because of parking and fines should you leave your car even a few minutes over while parking on the street . back in the 90's i knew a fellow student who insisted on having a car. she eventually gave up moving the car every night and budgeted 800 usd a year for fines. and as i understand even the paid ($$$$) parking lots get full and so a place inside is not guaranteed

and i don't know where you are coming from but re insuring the car in ma will also mean a bump up in insurance - to get a parking sticker for cambridge (which does not mean a spot) i believe requires local tags after a reasonable amount of time

having a car in boston is a nightmare in general

Alewife is in a kind of commercial/light industrial area, and most of the parking will be in the garage attached to the station itself.  In general, you and lots of other people have the same idea (parking at or near a T station and riding the train in), so it costs money, I think about $7 per day + $2 for the train ride.  If you feel as though a bus just won't work, and biking isn't an option, I would look into the cost of parking in one of the garages at Harvard - this is probably your best bet.  Otherwise, with street parking, you'll find that the chance for repeat, expensive tickets, and even towing when it comes to street sweeping and snow is rather high in Cambridge.  Boston/Cambridge is a pretty compact area with a high demand for parking, so unless you are ready and able to pay the fees associated with it, there isn't really a consistent, convenient workaround. 

Alewife is in a kind of commercial/light industrial area, and most of the parking will be in the garage attached to the station itself.  In general, you and lots of other people have the same idea (parking at or near a T station and riding the train in), so it costs money, I think about $7 per day + $2 for the train ride.  If you feel as though a bus just won't work, and biking isn't an option, I would look into the cost of parking in one of the garages at Harvard - this is probably your best bet.  Otherwise, with street parking, you'll find that the chance for repeat, expensive tickets, and even towing when it comes to street sweeping and snow is rather high in Cambridge.  Boston/Cambridge is a pretty compact area with a high demand for parking, so unless you are ready and able to pay the fees associated with it, there isn't really a consistent, convenient workaround.

Do you know the cost of the parking garages at Harvard and is it a quick walk to HDS from there?

Thanks!

Your best bet is to find a place with free parking, such as a driveway in a house or something. I was lucky to find something like this when I was in Boston and I never had to worry about parking on the street (even if you do find street parking you will have to move your car often for street cleaning!). Honestly you won't need a car anyways. It will cost you a shit ton of money and might only offer you a random trip to the grocery store/taco bell here and there. 

Edited by sacklunch

Your best bet is to find a place with free parking, such as a driveway in a house or something. I was lucky to find something like this when I was in Boston and I never had to worry about parking on the street (even if you do find street parking you will have to move your car often for street cleaning!). Honestly you won't need a car anyways. It will cost you a shit ton of money and might only offer you a random trip to the grocery store/taco bell here and there. 

I'll be driving into HDS from Arlington. I understand that most students don't need a car, but I will no matter what need one to drive to my work. (I will still be working while studying at HDS.) 

I have heard of the option of parking illegally and just "taking the hit" from the occasional parking ticket. Realistic or not? One would think that they would be aggressive about ticketing making that unfeasible...

The rates are here: http://www.transportation.harvard.edu/parking/permits-rates/rates

Sacklunch, I think he is talking about driving to HDS (or driving somewhere and parking), not just general parking issues, which are a different can of worms.

Thank you very much for your help! I tried googling for the rates but found myself at some other less helpful sites, so I really do appreciate your help.

I'm interested in the "Unreserved Surface" parking option. Although a steep rate, I could budget for it. Would you happen to know if you end up able to find a space or is that a problem due to the garage filling up and your spot being "unreserved"? 

Also, do you know if there is a garage near HDS?

I think I'll give a call to them since I have a few more questions too, i.e. is there a deadline to apply, etc. Don't feel compelled to answer if you are too busy, as I do feel bad for asking so many questions. 

Edited by Averroes MD

1. I don't think that having a car in the first place is that big of an issue, especially in Arlington - plenty of people do this.  It is at times easier not to have one, but as long as you are okay with some occasional aggravations, you'll be fine.  The best bet is to have off-street parking in that you'll always have a spot.  Otherwise, depending on your street, you may find that parking near your house is occasionally difficult.

2. I wouldn't do the "illegal" option.  Cambridge meter attendants are very aggressive about ticketing, and if you are parked in a space where you either run out of time on a meter, or are in a space for longer than the allowed time (i.e. even if you put more money in the meter, but are parked for 5 hours in a 2 hour limit space), you almost certainly will get a ticket every day.  Even if you park in resident only parking close to HDS, they are pretty tight on that as well.  If you are parked in a downright illegal spot, you'll probably be towed.  So, with tickets running from $25-30 each, things could get pretty expensive pretty quickly.  Plus, in that all your vehicle's information is logged when a ticket is issued, there is a good chance that they may notice a pattern of sorts happening (maybe not, but it would really suck if they decided just to tow your car one day, in that they usually tow it to a faraway, inconvenient location).

3. I am not 100% sure on the options, but I think the unreserved surface is not for garages (that would be the garage rates), but is for the surface lots, of which there are few, and which only have a few spots.  Go here: http://map.harvard.edu/?ctrx=759881&ctry=2961624.5&level=7&layers=Campus%20Base%20and%20Buildings,Parking,Map%20Text

to see parking options near HDS.  I think the closest, most realistic optiion near there is the big Oxford Street garage, but I assuming that it would require the slightly more expensive "Unreserved Garage" fee.  Anyhow, do call them or email them to double check on this stuff, as I am sure they will be able to tell you about the various options, whether they fill up every day, etc.  I don't have a car myself, don't actually attend HDS except for a few BTI classes and to use the libraries, but I do live a similar distance (though in a different direction) from Harvard.  I just take a bus in every day - it takes about 25 minutes and it costs...$48 per month!

Other things to keep in mind on this whole stream. 1) Parking in Harvard Sq is a nightmare. It is one of the busiest and most highly trafficked areas in the whole Boston metro. Even if you want to park illegally, you might not even be able to find a place to do that. You simply cannot rely on street parking to get to campus. 2) Cambridge aggressively tickets, and if you have more than 5 outstanding parking tickets, they will boot your car, which adds an additional ticket and $45. If they saw that your car had 10+ parking tickets in a month, there is nothing to say they wouldn't do something more severe than just boot or tow your car. 3) You gotta take winter into consideration. Parking is already crazy enough, the streets narrow enough, in Cambridge without feet of snow; you add snow to the mix and things go insane. Like, people leave chairs in spots they've dug out and if you take their spot, you'll get much worse than a parking ticket. 

My recommendation is to take a bus on days you have class, and drive other times. Or better yet, see if you can find an apartment closer than Arlington that won't require the hassle.

Thank you for your feedback.

After some research I realized there is a bus I can take pretty close by. However it would still be almost forty minute commute.

Edited by Averroes MD