SLP Post-Bacc Programs

I don't mind the changes. Even if it'll take a little longer and cost more money, it will only delay me an extra year. Plus, I'll be able to dedicate more time for studying/taking the GRE and gaining more experience related to the field. I already emailed them saying to still consider my application.

I don't mind the changes. Even if it'll take a little longer and cost more money, it will only delay me an extra year. Plus, I'll be able to dedicate more time for studying/taking the GRE and gaining more experience related to the field. I already emailed them saying to still consider my application.

I agree! I think it'll definitely help to give us the competitive edge we need with the extra time. Now I just hope they can give us an answer soon! Good luck to you guys!

Why would you have to retake courses? I'm not happy about delaying the MA program either. Although I can see how that will help our chances of getting into a MA program if we have all the classes completed when we apply. I don't understand why we need to take those extra two classes when other programs don't require them though. It is also going to cost more now. And it is definitely confusing that they are doing all this so last minute! They are my first choice but I feel like they need to explain a lot now!

Oh I misread something, my mistake. But I know SLPAs that are currently working with just the previous post bacc so it seems strange that they are marketing it that way. I think the classes on behaviors and ASD are really important and maybe geared towards the fact that LAUSD moved towards such a group focused model and they are trying to make SLPAs more prepared for small groups. It seems like an interesting program, but I would have like to know before I applied. Luckily I was admitted into the leveling year program at CU this year so I am moving out there. 

Did anyone interview for Loma Linda University's Transitional Master's Program? Has anyone heard anything from them? This weekend hits the 4-week mark and I haven't been contacted :(

Edited by jm1988

Oh I misread something, my mistake. But I know SLPAs that are currently working with just the previous post bacc so it seems strange that they are marketing it that way. I think the classes on behaviors and ASD are really important and maybe geared towards the fact that LAUSD moved towards such a group focused model and they are trying to make SLPAs more prepared for small groups. It seems like an interesting program, but I would have like to know before I applied. Luckily I was admitted into the leveling year program at CU this year so I am moving out there. 

I may be wrong, but I think they only added the extra classes in the second Fall to give people the ability to work as a SLPA if they don't apply to graduate school for that Fall. However, many schools will accept you with just the Fall and Spring/Summer coursework (unless they have changed the order in which you take them, which probably wouldn't happen). I'm in CSULB's postbacc now and I applied to grad school having only completed 4 classes in Fall and am completing 4 more Spring (this week, I'll be done!!!). I just found out that my new Graduate program does not require the summer coursework (AAC, motor speech, disorders of language: neuropathologies, swallowing) because they are offered at the graduate level.

The nice thing about CSULB is that you pay one semester at a time (however, you have to pay up-front) so if you don't actually NEED the extra coursework beyond the Fall and Spring semesters, you can forego it as long as it is approved by your NEW university! So definitely something to think about.

I may be wrong, but I think they only added the extra classes in the second Fall to give people the ability to work as a SLPA if they don't apply to graduate school for that Fall. However, many schools will accept you with just the Fall and Spring/Summer coursework (unless they have changed the order in which you take them, which probably wouldn't happen). I'm in CSULB's postbacc now and I applied to grad school having only completed 4 classes in Fall and am completing 4 more Spring (this week, I'll be done!!!). I just found out that my new Graduate program does not require the summer coursework (AAC, motor speech, disorders of language: neuropathologies, swallowing) because they are offered at the graduate level.

The nice thing about CSULB is that you pay one semester at a time (however, you have to pay up-front) so if you don't actually NEED the extra coursework beyond the Fall and Spring semesters, you can forego it as long as it is approved by your NEW university! So definitely something to think about.

oh I didn't realize that! That is definitely helpful if it is the case! the fall 2015 semester classes are swallowing, speech motor disorders, SLPA class, and assessment of molingual and bilingual clients. They added the SLPA class, autism class, and behavior management class to the program. Congratulations on being able to complete those classes in your grad program that is definitely exciting!

Danielle what are your stats? If you don't mind me asking.

oh I didn't realize that! That is definitely helpful if it is the case! the fall 2015 semester classes are swallowing, speech motor disorders, SLPA class, and assessment of molingual and bilingual clients. They added the SLPA class, autism class, and behavior management class to the program. Congratulations on being able to complete those classes in your grad program that is definitely exciting!

Oh hmmm, maybe they ARE reorganizing the way that classes are offered---in Fall 2013, we took Anatomy/Phys, Phonetics, Audiology I, and Language Acquisition. In Spring 2014, we took (almost done!!) Assessment/Management of monolingual and bilingual clients, speech & hearing science, disorders of phonology, and child language disorders. and Summer 2014 is slated to be motor speech disorders, alternative/augmentative communication, dysphagia, and disorders of language--neuropathology.

Interesting about the new autism class, SLPA, and behavior management requirements! The schools I applied to didn't cite any of those as pre-requisites, but they certainly are valuable additions! Anyway, sorry if I've confused you more---good luck and let me know if you've got any other questions!

Just called the CSULA office to make sure I wasn't missing anything from my application (as it was still listed as 'incomplete') and the woman I spoke with said that that means they just haven't made a decision (as I had already verified back in March that my transcripts were received) and that they would be making decisions within the next 5-7 business days and to call the office if you don't hear by then as she will have the list.

Ahhhh!

Just checked my application status online on csulb and it said denied as of today :( Goodluck to everyone else though.  (I checked by going to csulb/applicationstatus.)

It looks like i'm going to Chapman in the fall! If anyone else will be as well message me!

Edited by SLP_mol

Just checked my application status online on csulb and it said denied as of today :( Goodluck to everyone else though.  (I checked by going to csulb/applicationstatus.)

It looks like i'm going to Chapman in the fall! If anyone else will be as well message me!

I checked my application status after seeing your post. I was rejected as well ;/ I'm bummed because I just graduated with my bachelors from CSULB today! But on the other hand, I think I need more experience in the field. I only applied to CSULB and CSULA so I'm crossing my fingers for CSULA..

I checked my application status after seeing your post. I was rejected as well ;/ I'm bummed because I just graduated with my bachelors from CSULB today! But on the other hand, I think I need more experience in the field. I only applied to CSULB and CSULA so I'm crossing my fingers for CSULA..

I'm sorry to hear that! Congratulations on graduating! I was bummed that I didn't at least get on the wait list but i'm not sure if they even have one? Good luck on CSULA though! Everything happens for a reason!

I'm sorry to hear that! Congratulations on graduating! I was bummed that I didn't at least get on the wait list but i'm not sure if they even have one? Good luck on CSULA though! Everything happens for a reason!

Thank you! I don't think LB had a waiting list. Yeah you're right, everything happens for a reason :)

Did you guys use this website to check you admission status? 

https://my.cms.csulb.edu/psp/pa91prd/EMPLOYEE/SA/c/LB_HR_CUSTOM.LB_APS_SS.GBL

I tried looking up my admission status & the website sent me an email saying that my application was sent to the department, but does not specify if it was denied. I checked my email and I made sure I emailed the department stating to continue to consider my application. I tried calling the office several times during the day, but it goes to the answering machine.  :unsure:

Did you guys use this website to check you admission status? 

https://my.cms.csulb.edu/psp/pa91prd/EMPLOYEE/SA/c/LB_HR_CUSTOM.LB_APS_SS.GBL

I tried looking up my admission status & the website sent me an email saying that my application was sent to the department, but does not specify if it was denied. I checked my email and I made sure I emailed the department stating to continue to consider my application. I tried calling the office several times during the day, but it goes to the answering machine.  :unsure:

Yes, that's the website. Leave a message they are good at calling back quickly. 

Yes, that's the website. Leave a message they are good at calling back quickly.

Yes that's the website. They probably haven't made a decision for you yet, because before I was denied I would get an email saying my application had not been reviewed. Good luck to you!

I just called CSULA. The lady who answered said we won't find out for another couple of weeks. She also said their looking at our cumulative GPA, not the last 60/90 units and that last year they didn't look at any applications under a 3.6 GPA. Greatttt -_-

I just called CSULA. The lady who answered said we won't find out for another couple of weeks. She also said their looking at our cumulative GPA, not the last 60/90 units and that last year they didn't look at any applications under a 3.6 GPA. Greatttt -_-

Idk if I would take that too seriously. My cum was 3.2 and I got in last year. :)

Idk if I would take that too seriously. My cum was 3.2 and I got in last year. :)

Really? When I applied my cum was a 3.3. It's a 3.4 now. Futureslp88, thank you for making me feel so much better! lol

I also emailed in the fall to ask what the average GPA of students admitted to the program last year was and was told it was 3.42

Edited by UCSBslp

For anyone that hasn't heard from CSULB, I called them today and they offered 47 spots for their MPP & the deadline to accept their spots is today. Theres 12 people on their wait list & if your admission status says that your application was sent to the department, it means that you're on the wait list. They will contact those off the wait lists if spots open up by the end of next week. I'm #5. Sigh. Congrats to those that were accepted and good luck to fellow wait listers!