SLP Post-Bacc Programs

For those that are going to CSULA or live in LA, what areas/neighborhoods are good to live in around the school? I'll be moving from San Diego in August/September. Any kind of advice/input would be awesome!

I'm moving to Westwood to live with my fiance who goes to UCLA! It is a really nice, cute neighborhood with neat restaurants, movie theaters, and other stuff all in walking distance. The rent is expensive relative to neighborhoods to the south and east. It's a thirty minute drive to CSULA.

Sorry this might not be very helpful to you if you're trying to live closer to campus. But if for some reason you end up living in West LA, let me know because I'll be looking for a carpool buddy! Same to everyone else! :)

I received an email earlier today that I was accepted to CSULA's certificate program! I also received an email on Friday that I was accepted to CSUN's PreCDS program. I think that I'll be going to CSULA, though. I hope everyone else received good news, too!

I received an email earlier today that I was accepted to CSULA's certificate program! I also received an email on Friday that I was accepted to CSUN's PreCDS program. I think that I'll be going to CSULA, though. I hope everyone else received good news, too!

Wow, congrats to you!! 

I'm extremely worried now because I haven't received any e-mails from either CSULA or CSUN. Waiting is so scary :/

Wow, congrats to you!! 

I'm extremely worried now because I haven't received any e-mails from either CSULA or CSUN. Waiting is so scary :/

Thank you! And I know how stressful and frustrating the waiting period for admissions decisions can be. I have some information on the programs, though, that can give you an idea of when you might hear back from them (and, hopefully, with good news!):

For CSULA, I had to accept their offer of admission by Friday, June 13th. I decided to accept this offer, but if others rejected theirs, then you might hear back from them really soon! Also, you can call the admission's office at CSULA and ask them if your name is on the list of applicants who may be receiving an admission's offer. 

On the other hand, CSUN wanted me to respond to them by June 30th, which means that you may have to wait until the end of the month to hear back from them.  -_-  Although, when I called their office last Friday and asked when I might hear back from them, they said by mid-June; however, they then sent me an email that same day (and I didn't even give them my name or any other contact information). So you might hear from them before June 30th, but I do not know for sure. 

Anyways, I really hope that you hear good news from them! Again, I know how nerve-wracking the wait can be. 

Edited by OnnaJurnee

I'm moving to Westwood to live with my fiance who goes to UCLA! It is a really nice, cute neighborhood with neat restaurants, movie theaters, and other stuff all in walking distance. The rent is expensive relative to neighborhoods to the south and east. It's a thirty minute drive to CSULA.

Sorry this might not be very helpful to you if you're trying to live closer to campus. But if for some reason you end up living in West LA, let me know because I'll be looking for a carpool buddy! Same to everyone else! :)

Westwood is a great area!  But just, fyi, if you are travelling to CSULA from westwood, it takes about 25-30 min without traffic (which would probably be only from about 10am-2pm), otherwise it will take about 45-60 minutes. 

For those that are going to CSULA or live in LA, what areas/neighborhoods are good to live in around the school? I'll be moving from San Diego in August/September. Any kind of advice/input would be awesome!

I have some suggestions - Silverlake, Eaglerock, some parts of Highland park, Pasadena, Glendale, . . . Not sure about East of CSULA, but I think Duatre is nice  - don't hold me to that though

I'm still waiting as well. I called this Monday and they said that an email will be sent this week. However I did call them the week previous and was told that my name was on the list and to expect an email in 2-3 days. 

I turned down the CSULA program at the end of May but today I got an email saying that I was not accepted into the program. My guess is they probably just finished processing that batch of applications. 

Hopefully that means that other people will be hearing soon!

• 2 months later...

Just in case any prospective Post-Bacc students stumble upon this thread inquiring about next fall, it was announced yesterday that CSULB will NO LONGER offer their Master's Preparatory Program in Communicative Disorders. Fall 2014 is their last cohort. However, they are planning to expand their Traditional and Special Cohort Graduate programs.

^ It is sad to hear of another option for out of fielders being discontinued.

When are they planning to update their website? The prepatory program is still prominently mentioned there.

^ It is sad to hear of another option for out of fielders being discontinued.

When are they planning to update their website? The prepatory program is still prominently mentioned there.

Ooh no this is incredibly sad news to hear for me as well. I looked at the website too and i didn't see the news either. 

I'm in the Fall 2014 cohort & the advisor for MPP and the chair of the department came into our Audiology class to make the announcement. They said they were going to update the website soon but wanted to clarify that the Fall 2014 cohort would still go through next summer and the changes don't affect us.

There are many several Post-Bacc options in California, but some may not be like CSULB where you go in as a cohort and take all the classes together. Some programs accept you as an extension student but you will be in classes with undergraduate students also, you just have to ask the department for each school what their program offers. California is extremely competitive & overly saturated with students out of the field taking interest in SLP. So when you are applying, make sure you apply early, send your transcripts early, and have several people proof-read your SOP (Statement of Purpose) or LOI (Letter of Intent) before sending it off.

The applications will probably start in September or October. Good luck!

• 3 weeks later...

You should be fine! I know people who got into the CSULA post-bacc program last year with lower GPAs. I'll PM you with information. This is a great field and I'm happy for you. I also made the jump and I could not be happier with my decision  :wub:

might be off topic, but i like your schools that u got accepted to, what are your stats?/?

Hello!

New to this site and thread. =]

I was just wondering if anyone who completed Utah State's online 2nd bachelors program had any difficulties in their application process? I have been trying to complete my application since early September and it's been impossible to get anyone with 'say-so' on the phone. I applied to this program after reading so many great reviews about it but it hasn't been that great, so far for me.

• 2 weeks later...

They both seem to be good programs. I got a PM from a student at CSUF postbac who likes it, and I have a friend at Portland postbac who also likes it there. The downside of CSUF is that there are apparently classes taught by adjunct faculty.