Grad school and cat

Tall Chai Latte

• 2 weeks later...

I think if you find a cat that's relatively calm and can handle being alone quite a bit that would probably be best for a grad student. I'd recommend going to a shelter to adopt a cat. Usually they have pretty good information from the previous owners and have socialized with the cats enough to get a good sense of what they're personalities are like.

Hi everyone. An update on the status of cat identification: I have adopted a cat from a local rescue group! According to her foster mom, she is a very calm kitty who enjoys cuddling every evening. Sounds perfect to me! 

This thread was so helpful!

We just went to the shelter today and saw two adorable 2-month old brothers. We might get them on Monday... because I was stupid and forgot to bring my lease that says that we can have cats, and they wouldn't let us take them today. :(

So, if the kittens are still there on Monday (and I can't go right when they open, and the shelter won't hold the kittens for us), then maybe it's a sign that it's meant to be!

wildviolet, I think that's a great approach. There was this dog I really wanted at one point but I also didn't have the lease with me. And then, I called and they said she was available but a friend had an emergency so I didn't go that day. The next day, she was gone. I have a different dog now and it's all worked out, though I did really love that dog.

wildviolet, that was what happened with the first cat candidate I was trying to adopt. On the second time around, the rescue group called the leasing office directly and made sure our apartment complex is allowed to have pets. It eventually worked out in one week. 

The new cat is great, though she is kind of clingy at the moment. She follows everywhere I go (immediately locates my bed and lies on it lol)... Hopefully she grows out of it after some time. 

FWIW, I've had my cats for 10 and 12 years and they are indoor cats.  I am outside a lot.  I hike and walk and camp.  I have not, to this day, brought fleas - or any other pests - in to my indoor cats.  They are happy, healthy and physically fit (except for Trouble's neurosis, but that might be genetic, knowing his cat family).   They both have been fixed.   This is anecdotal, but like I said, FWIW. I do know feline leukemia is no joke and both of my cats were tested. 

Also, check the laws of where you live as far as pet licensing goes.  Where I live now, cats and dogs are required to be licensed even if they are indoor pets.

Sorry if this question was already brought up in this thread (I don't have time to read through all of it and I'm also lazy).

I really want to adopt a cat but I'm worried that in 4 years after I'm finished my PhD I will have to move across the country and I'm not sure how a cat would deal with that or if it would even be feasible to bring it with me. I feel shitty about getting a cat when I'm uncertain about my living situation. I rent, so I could have to get up and move at any point in time and I know cats don't like being moved around since they are very territorial creatures. Anyone have any experience with this, and what are other people's thoughts on these issues? Thanks.

Sorry if this question was already brought up in this thread (I don't have time to read through all of it and I'm also lazy).

I really want to adopt a cat but I'm worried that in 4 years after I'm finished my PhD I will have to move across the country and I'm not sure how a cat would deal with that or if it would even be feasible to bring it with me. I feel shitty about getting a cat when I'm uncertain about my living situation. I rent, so I could have to get up and move at any point in time and I know cats don't like being moved around since they are very territorial creatures. Anyone have any experience with this, and what are other people's thoughts on these issues? Thanks.

My parents moved cross country and to TWO other countries on two different occasions with our cats in tow. The worst was when one country had our cats in quarantine for 6 months. We had to go visit them all the time and one poor baby rubbed away her ear fur on her kennel door. 

It's doable, to say the least. Sometimes cats get upset with changes in their locale -- other times your cat might be okay with it. My mom used to put butter on our cats paws after a move -- so they'd get distracted licking it off instead of freaking out about the new space. 

Cats tend to have widely varied reactions to these kinds of things, although usually the "upset" phase doesn't last especially if you reconstruct a comforting and scent-familiar environment. 

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, nikulas said:

Guys, has anyone used Cat Bubble Backpacks ? Soon I have vacation and I think how am I going to do with your pet. I could ask a friend to watch him, but I found a video -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mS-F4k4TnY and now I think, can go on a trip with a cat ?

How are you getting to your vacation destination? If you are flying, you might want to check the rules and requirements for traveling with a cat. If you are going on a train, they might have requirements as well. However, if you are more concerned about what to do with your cat while you are out and about during your vacation and want to bring your cat with you when you explore, I would think the cat bubble backpack might work. However, you want to make sure your cat will be happy with all of this sudden change. I know some pets love traveling while others do not. You could try out the backpack and see how your cat likes it and if they don't then return it.

• 1 month later...

Cats are all different. While, they're generally more low maintenance than dogs, the amount of attention they need/want is not really generalizable. My current cat requires more attention than any other I've had or known. I usually pop home to check on her midday because she will want some affection and a fresh snack. When I get home she comes running to the door mewing. She's very people-oriented and bonded really closely to me, but is equally happy if I get a friend or my bf to check on her once in a while. My old cat I could leave with food, water, and I'd have to go looking for her fairly often when I got home. She was cuddly, but more quiet and didn't care much for anyone but me and would often hide if other people came around. Some of this is breed-specific, I think. My outgoing cat is a ragdoll and they're known to be people-oriented. I recommend meeting a bunch at a rescue and asking questions and finding a kit that matches the amount of time/energy you have. 

Edit: I just now realized how old this thread is. Carry on.

Edited by CiaraMeow