When can I start applying for fall '15?

MJA87

I'll be applying for Fall 2015, and I'm getting very antsy to start the application process. I've been checking my online applications (probably too often) and my only options to apply for are still 2014 semesters. I've got a really good offer for a letter of recommendation that I don't really want to sit on for too long and another one of my letters has to come from a professor that I haven't spoken to in ~4 years, so I'd like to get those balls rolling sooner rather than later.

My question to you is, when does the fall semester typically open up for application? Am I just too early?

Thanks all.

If you're worried about your letters of recommendation, start asking your recomenders now and let them know what schools you will be applying for.  If they choose, they can start drafting their letters early, or they can simply have the information and wait until it is closer. 

Professors understand the application process, so they should be (in my experience anyway) okay being asked now and simplyv waiting until the season opens back up. 

I'm reapplying this coming year, for example,  and I've already spoken to two of my recommendation writers for next year. 

Best of luck!

If you're worried about your letters of recommendation, start asking your recomenders now and let them know what schools you will be applying for.  If they choose, they can start drafting their letters early, or they can simply have the information and wait until it is closer. 

Professors understand the application process, so they should be (in my experience anyway) okay being asked now and simplyv waiting until the season opens back up. 

I'm reapplying this coming year, for example,  and I've already spoken to two of my recommendation writers for next year. 

Best of luck!

Thanks, I guess I've been putting off contacting my old professor because I'm afraid of him saying no because It's been so long. Do you think it would be okay to email him my plans and request for a letter, including the option to discuss in person, or should I just go to his office hours to begin with?

Depends on your relationship with that professor. 

If you've not spoken to him in years, perhaps a polite, professional email would be a good starting point.

It might not even be a bad idea to include in the body of your email the class(es) you completed with him.  If you've not v seen him in years, and haven't kept in contact, remind him why you would want him to write you a letter. Did you connect especially with him? Did your research mesh with his? Did he serve as a supervisor for you lab wise or teaching wise.  It's important to reconnect!

Agreed. I asked an old professor of mine whom I haven't seen in four years, but he was my BA advisor and also wrote a letter of recommendation for me for an earlier fellowship/ job a few years ago, so I felt more comfortable asking him for this since I'd done it before and he had something else to go on other than just his memories of me.

As others have said, there is no reason not to start talking to your letter writers about the process.  You can also start working on your personal statement.  Having this prepped, or at least drafted, can help your letter writers - especially ones who may not be as aware of what you've been up to in recent years.

Also, on your original question, applications generally become available in September. If I recall correctly, the Harvard Kennedy School was the first one on my list that made its application available, and that one for Fall 2014 came out on September 12, 2013 last year (and was due December 5). The other applications came out shortly thereafter.

In addition to securing letters of rec in advance, you can also start working on a personal statement, or at least an outline for one. All the schools (or at least the ones to which I applied) require a general personal statement of anywhere between 400 words (Columbia, I think) and 700 words (Georgetown, if I recall correctly). I had a pretty good outline ready in June-ish, so when apps came out in September, I was ready to quickly flesh out my outline. It made things a lot less stressful on me.

Good luck!

Also, on your original question, applications generally become available in September. If I recall correctly, the Harvard Kennedy School was the first one on my list that made its application available, and that one for Fall 2014 came out on September 12, 2013 last year (and was due December 5). The other applications came out shortly thereafter.

In addition to securing letters of rec in advance, you can also start working on a personal statement, or at least an outline for one. All the schools (or at least the ones to which I applied) require a general personal statement of anywhere between 400 words (Columbia, I think) and 700 words (Georgetown, if I recall correctly). I had a pretty good outline ready in June-ish, so when apps came out in September, I was ready to quickly flesh out my outline. It made things a lot less stressful on me.

Good luck!

Very helpful, thanks a lot!

I love the original poster's enthusiasm! That's how I feel every year waiting for the essay prompts to be released.

There is a lot you can be doing right now to work on your candidacy / application before the official applications are out. Here's a list of a few actions you can take while you wait:

• overhaul your resume. Make sure the formatting is top-notch and that every accomplishment is clearly explained, quantified, and free of jargon. Create several versions of your resume such as a one-page resume and a 2+ page resume for schools (like HKS) that allow for longer resumes / CVs
  • work on weaknesses in your candidacy. If you have a low GPA (under 3.6), you're going to want a stellar GRE score and you may want to consider taking supplementary coursework such as calculus, statistics, and microeconomics.
  • make sure you're set on community service. Even if you work in a public service field, you want to make sure that you have plenty of volunteerism and community service work to put on your CV and discuss in your essays.

You could even start drafting essays based on last year's prompts, but that's risky since they could change. Your efforts wouldn't necessarily be wasted, though, since you could rework the drafts into the prompts once they come out.

Best of luck!

• 1 month later...

I love the original poster's enthusiasm! That's how I feel every year waiting for the essay prompts to be released.

There is a lot you can be doing right now to work on your candidacy / application before the official applications are out. Here's a list of a few actions you can take while you wait:

• overhaul your resume. Make sure the formatting is top-notch and that every accomplishment is clearly explained, quantified, and free of jargon. Create several versions of your resume such as a one-page resume and a 2+ page resume for schools (like HKS) that allow for longer resumes / CVs
  • work on weaknesses in your candidacy. If you have a low GPA (under 3.6), you're going to want a stellar GRE score and you may want to consider taking supplementary coursework such as calculus, statistics, and microeconomics.
  • make sure you're set on community service. Even if you work in a public service field, you want to make sure that you have plenty of volunteerism and community service work to put on your CV and discuss in your essays.

You could even start drafting essays based on last year's prompts, but that's risky since they could change. Your efforts wouldn't necessarily be wasted, though, since you could rework the drafts into the prompts once they come out.

Best of luck!

Thanks for your insight, Kaneisha. I write for Forbes and I've studied/covered International Affairs a bit. I've also got good GRE/GPA but the service element was lacking in my CV and I'm going to begin volunteering on weekends.

A question: Is there any advantage to applying to schools early? I've got enough time to finish my application so that I can submit it the day applications open. Is this advisable? 

Thanks for your insight, Kaneisha. I write for Forbes and I've studied/covered International Affairs a bit. I've also got good GRE/GPA but the service element was lacking in my CV and I'm going to begin volunteering on weekends.

A question: Is there any advantage to applying to schools early? I've got enough time to finish my application so that I can submit it the day applications open. Is this advisable? 

From what I understand, while this is slightly dependent on the culture of the school, applying 4 months or 1 week before the deadline doesn't really make a difference (assuming all the material and letters, etc are in). They will start reviewing apps after the deadline. The only exception is if your program has rolling admissions. Then it can make a difference. 

• 5 months later...