Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

I know some of my programs have interview dates posted already and some don't, but does anyone know about how long in advance programs contact with interview offers? I'm just curious about how much warning I'll have to set my affairs in order.

For social, it seems interview invites go out throughout December and January mostly, for January and February interview weekends. I'm not sure about clinical though. You could check the results search at the top of the page and go back to last year's dates to see when different programs let students know about invites, keeping in mind that things can always change from year to year.

I know some of my programs have interview dates posted already and some don't, but does anyone know about how long in advance programs contact with interview offers? I'm just curious about how much warning I'll have to set my affairs in order.

Depending on the application deadline and program it varies. Even within the program it varies from POI to POI, and all depends on when they sit down to look at applications. Generally, however, I don't think some places look at apps until after the holidays, send out invites mid-late January for interview weekends in February. Hope that helps. 

I think I mentioned this earlier but one way to gauge and tell if you have a "soft rejection" (you deduce from activity here, results page, etc. that you likely did not get an interview) when, for the schools who have their interview weekends posted, the interview is in a week or two and you haven't gotten an invite. 

I just realized there are 2 errors in an already submitted letter. Cited a poster presentation as "to be presented", but I mentioned earlier it has been presented at blabla place..., and I mentioned a prof as Dr. firstname lastname, even though I introduced him as such before and used Dr. Lastname afterwards. Omg the next 3 months of waiting will be fun.

I just realized there are 2 errors in an already submitted letter. Cited a poster presentation as "to be presented", but I mentioned earlier it has been presented at blabla place..., and I mentioned a prof as Dr. firstname lastname, even though I introduced him as such before and used Dr. Lastname afterwards. Omg the next 3 months of waiting will be fun.

I'm not sure how much they will scrutinize the letter. You'll probably be fine though. Most likely they've seen worse.

I see you applied to U of T's psychology program. Maybe we'll see each other at the recruitment weekend (if we both get invited, of course). Do you have a POI in mind there?

I'm not sure how much they will scrutinize the letter. You'll probably be fine though. Most likely they've seen worse.

I see you applied to U of T's psychology program. Maybe we'll see each other at the recruitment weekend (if we both get invited, of course). Do you have a POI in mind there?

Thanks for the reassurance haha. I really hope so! That'd be really nice. I'll pm you about my POI :)  ...

Hahaha, it won't make that much of a difference. 

I don't even know if any of my programs interview. I only remember reading that the clinical program interviews at my top choice. The rest, I have no idea! Hm

I don't even know if any of my programs interview. I only remember reading that the clinical program interviews at my top choice. The rest, I have no idea! Hm

Most social places interview! Where all are you applying?

Most of the places I am applying do not interview. Since my earliest application cutoffs just elapsed a few days ago I can't imagine any interview invites have already been sent out. The joy of waiting.

Hi everyone,

I am new to the gradcafe and am glad I found this thread! I am a Social Psychology PhD applicant, currently an undergrad student.

Just to keep going with what you guys were talking about, I am pretty sure that most of the social programs DO conduct interviews, and they typically send out interview invitations around mid-January. I know only one of the schools that I applied to do not do any interview (Ohio State), but others will send out invitations soon, and hopefully I receive them too!!!

Just found out the my top POI on my entire list is no longer taking students. He said that could change, but he doubts it will. There are other faculty in that program I match with enough so I"m still applying.

Should I still mention this POI in my SOP? I really like his research and my SOP is quite tailored towards those topics. An adcom might think I'm clueless if I don't mention him, but if I do, and he's not taking students, does that look bad?

That's the worst. I had that happen after ordering transcripts. Mine retired. I was early enough in the process that I researched and found there wasn't anyone else doing that same research, so I didn't apply. What did you decide?

That's the worst. I had that happen after ordering transcripts. Mine retired. I was early enough in the process that I researched and found there wasn't anyone else doing that same research, so I didn't apply. What did you decide?

I applied because the program is perfect for my interests. And I mentioned this POI after discussing in more detail how another one was a good fit. Something like, Professor X's research on Y is also of high interest to me.

For those of you who have dealt, or are currently dealing, with slow recommenders, did you email the school beforehand to let them know that one letter might be late? I have a professor who is sick with bronchitis, so she'll likely be late on sending these letters. My first applications are due on December 15th, with the rest after the break in January. I hope she doesn't submit them too late, but I don't know how late is too late. Any insight?

For those of you who have dealt, or are currently dealing, with slow recommenders, did you email the school beforehand to let them know that one letter might be late? I have a professor who is sick with bronchitis, so she'll likely be late on sending these letters. My first applications are due on December 15th, with the rest after the break in January. I hope she doesn't submit them too late, but I don't know how late is too late. Any insight?

I was in the same boat and did email the school to let them know. I was told it would not be an issue as long as everything else is in. I am sure it differs across schools on how late recommenders can be, so I would definitely email the school to let them know and see what they say. From what I've heard it is not uncommon for recommenders to be 1-2 weeks late - although obviously this is not ideal- but 2.5-3+ weeks is pushing it. I'd ask the prof around what date she thinks she will be submitting/how late she will be since "the school wants to know" or something. Then I'd make sure I contacted her right after that date if she did not have it submitted by the time she told you.

If it makes you feel better, my roommate last year had one of her recommenders send in a letter a week late, and still got in. I also had an adviser tell me that many committees do not even meet to seriously review applications until after the New Year even though applications are due in mid-December, and that they purposely set the deadlines early to ensure that any late materials (like letters) are in by the time they begin reviewing. 

I hope this helps!

Tl;dr: I've heard: don't freak if a recommender is late because it probably won't affect your application. But do contact the school and keep track of your recommenders.

Yes, and they were of no help. They just told me that after December 5th the application closes and my recommender would not be able to send in the letter. I don't know if it's because they can't do anything about it or what, but I've contacted the administration before and I've gotten bad vibes from them. The POI reassured me that not everyone in the department is like that. I hope he is right.

I'm amazed to see such early notices from UC-Riverside. High-end school with a Dec 1 deadline, and they're accepting students a week and a half later? Crazy. Based on last year's results, I can't expect to hear much of anything until mid-January.

Anyone else apply to UConn and still getting an incomplete application notice? All of my supporting documents have been received (including official transcripts), and it doesn't appear based on the materials checklist that the application is incomplete. I sent an email to the psych grad admissions coordinator, but being the neurotic ball of anxiety that I am, I had to come on here and ask if anyone is having the same issue.

Anyone else apply to UConn and still getting an incomplete application notice? All of my supporting documents have been received (including official transcripts), and it doesn't appear based on the materials checklist that the application is incomplete. I sent an email to the psych grad admissions coordinator, but being the neurotic ball of anxiety that I am, I had to come on here and ask if anyone is having the same issue.

Sorry this won't help but mine isn't saying that. The admissions coordinator is nice, I'm sure she'll get back to you soon :)