Fall 2015 Applicant Thread

Gvh

I'm applying for Fall 2015 too, hopefully for Education Psych, School Psych, Counselling. 

I did my GRE two days ago and ended with 155 for both verbal and quantitative. Do you think I should retake it? 

Might be to late to re-take the GRE at this point, but it would probably be a good idea if you need to do future application cycles after this one. GRE scores can mean a lot in how they will initially view your application, and it's a test that you can study for if you dedicate yourself towards it and stay organized. I'd say a nice goal would be to push one of your scores into the 160's (I went from a 156/156/4.0 to a 164V/158Q/5.0 after a summer of studying)

Someone from Cambridge, MA viewed my academia.edu profile!!! *starts hyperventilating*

I didn't make that connection when I got an email update (btw, how do you tell the state? Mine just shows the country). I just thought it was one of my undergrad students looking it up (also a shocker-- my students have searched out and read my thesis). 

isilya, hope you get good news soon!

I HATE HIM TOO. Not going into animal behavior as of now (looks like something else in neuroscience, maybe epilepsy, but I'm only a sophomore!), but I train and compete in a dog sport pretty competitively. People always ask if I'm the new dog whisperer as a joke and I'm always just like, "He is stupid. No, I actually looked into the science of dog training before claiming to be an expert." People are taken aback. Seriously one of my pet peeves. Got into a fight on reddit about it too. I never even comment on reddit, lol. JAKABSHJAHAVAB DONT WATCH THAT STUPID SHOW GUYS!!!!!

Gahh not going into animal behavior either, but it's a special interest of mine and I hate that guy. My mom practically worships the ground he walks on and now she wants to be a dog trainer based off his methods. It makes me feel sick.

I'm glad that people share the same sediment.

I'm starting to think that I might not be able to afford to apply for uWaterloo if I have to pay for the hotel at Toronto. With the way things are panning out, I may be only be finishing applications for U of T. Not ideal, but I kind of figured that would happen. If I get rejected to both programs, I'll have to find an alternative and apply again next year. Not sure how I feel about it.

I didn't make that connection when I got an email update (btw, how do you tell the state? Mine just shows the country). I just thought it was one of my undergrad students looking it up (also a shocker-- my students have searched out and read my thesis).

isilya, hope you get good news soon!

On the mobile site it only shows the country but on the full site it shows the city. And thanks, I did end up getting the good news!! :D

Ugh I'm not looking forward to that at Christmas. People that aren't involved just don't get it. I'm tired enough of hearing "What'd you major in? Psychology? You'll have plenty of patients right here!" without grad school questions too.

That line makes a lot more sense when you're actually in clinical. Unfortunately, you hear it just as often in research. 

"Sorry, I have no interest in helping people, and I definitely don't want to hear about your problems"

That line makes a lot more sense when you're actually in clinical. Unfortunately, you hear it just as often in research.

"Sorry, I have no interest in helping people, and I definitely don't want to hear about your problems"

I've come to realize most people simply didn't know that psychology majors go to grad school for reasons other than to practice. The looks on people's faces are always like "Research? She's making this shit up" Edited by VulpesZerda

The worst are the folks who are surprised I don't want to listen to their problems for free ... 'But you're a psychologist!!! Don't you want to help people?"

On an unrelated note: how are folks coping with the waiting anxiety?

Compulsively checking this forum, the results section, and refreshing my Outlook to make sure there are no send/receive errors. Yeah, I'd say I'm coping pretty well!

That said, my work is based on the computer and I work from home, and I've been absolutely overloaded the last few weeks, so basically at my computer 24/7. Not exactly a formula for adaptive coping (though I think I'm going to go play some basketball tonight!)

The worst are the folks who are surprised I don't want to listen to their problems for free ... 'But you're a psychologist!!! Don't you want to help people?"

There's not much for me to be waiting for (besides for some reference letters for UBC's app). The freak-outs and rational moments come in cycles. Right now I'm feeling pretty rational.

Just keeping myself occupied (mostly drawing). I also have a January course that will keep me busy before my interview. That also means I get to socialize with our lab rats. That always makes me feel better.

Coping with the anxiety of waiting is always a related note ;) to every conversation and thought.

I work and listen to pandora during work, meaning I push refresh on my email almost as often as I change my station. I got a new dresser (and am currently working to get everything to fit into it-- actually watched how to fold on YouTube) and on the actual fun side I spend lots of time with my 2 year old nephew. This evening coming home I got the mail and squinted at each letter praying it wasn't from a school because it would be a rejection... *sigh* how about you constant_wanderer?

Getting into the whole holidays thing has occupied some time; I'm watching plenty of Netflix and working a lot; I plan to learn how to knit and join an indoor soccer league after the holidays. I'm also going to be spending a lot of time getting my thesis polished and published. I'm not letting myself get too worried yet. There have been a ton of results on that page but not a peep from my ten programs!

Obsessively checking this forum, SDN, and my email. I went to stay with my SO last night and forced myself to leave my laptop at home so that I couldn't check anything. Be lying if I said I didn't think about getting my phone out for just a minute. The holidays should be helping because I know I'm not going to hear anything until they're over, but they're really not. Also a lot of Netflix.

Got another one of those annoying Happy Holidays emails, this time from NYU.

You want to give me a happy holidays? Well, then give me an interview invite!

I know!! They send so many pointless emails...

The schools I applied to have only sent pointy emails so far, like don't forget to do financial aid paperwork, etc.

Mine only sent one email regarding applying for graduate housing. I kind of like that they don't spam my inbox..

I know it is way early to start thinking about this, but does anyone have a plan to gift their recommenders after all the process is over? I'm thinking of a hand-written card with a small gift.

It's not too early (imo) as long as their letters are in. I want to thank them regardless of whether or not I get in! I wanted to do it before Christmas since all my writers celebrate, but I didn't get their stuff in time. I plan to send gift cards or chocolates next week sometime :)

I already sent a thank you with small gift to recommenders since it is unrelated to acceptance. 2 of them I sent a mix of cookies from Cheryl's and the other I know very well and his obsession with spicy food so I sent him a small hot spices gift basket. All were appreciative of gesture so I am sure whatever you do will be nice.

I know it is way early to start thinking about this, but does anyone have a plan to gift their recommenders after all the process is over? I'm thinking of a hand-written card with a small gift.

Last year I sent a card and a gift. Then I didn't get in. This year, I'll send a card but no gift.