NELC/Middle Eastern Studies Fall 2015

That's awful. I'm sorry. I wonder how many other people applied who didn't realize they'd just be 'making a donation' to the school. I wouldn't have known myself if I hadn't seen the facebook drama. 

Where else did you apply?

Did anyone get an invite to the Princeton NES interview weekend thing? For what its worth, I did this a few years ago and it was one of the most miserable weekends of my life.

Did anyone get an invite to the Princeton NES interview weekend thing? For what its worth, I did this a few years ago and it was one of the most miserable weekends of my life.

YES!  Okay, I've gotten through this entire application process as a lurker, but I had to make an account to respond to this because I got an invite, and ever since, people have been telling me the most INCREDIBLE horror stories about what to expect.  It sounds like the honest to goodness Hunger Games.  What was it like for you??

YES!  Okay, I've gotten through this entire application process as a lurker, but I had to make an account to respond to this because I got an invite, and ever since, people have been telling me the most INCREDIBLE horror stories about what to expect.  It sounds like the honest to goodness Hunger Games.  What was it like for you??

Its really terrible. To be honest it made me hate the department. It wasn't just the stress of the weekend, its that I sort of think the idea of it is incredibly insulting and arrogant in the first place. PM me for more info.

Edited by bob123

Ok, so I got my official admissions letter today from Indiana University-Bloomington, but I have not heard any information about fellowship decisions. Is there anyone else on this forum who has been admitted to IU-B and nominated for a fellowship of some kind? If so, have you received a decision on the fellowship?

No word from Chicago on my end, Vive2.  Did hear back from NYU tonight, though -- accepted to the M.A. program in Near Eastern Studies!  Now, the wait for funding news begins... anyone else considering NYU?

Cheers,

Jebreel

Edited by Jebreel

A post on the results page on 2/13 claimed acceptance to NELC at UCLA via email on 2/8, spelling out both "University of Los Angeles California" and "Near Eastern Languages and Cultures" (so you can't find it if you just search for UCLA NELC). Can anyone claim that or has anyone heard of any other acceptances to the department?

A post on the results page on 2/13 claimed acceptance to NELC at UCLA via email on 2/8, spelling out both "University of Los Angeles California" and "Near Eastern Languages and Cultures" (so you can't find it if you just search for UCLA NELC). Can anyone claim that or has anyone heard of any other acceptances to the department?

I am not the one who posted that but I can assure you that UCLA NELC does not normally send official offers until the end of February/beginning of March. That acceptance might not have been an official offer but an email from a POI.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone heard from UChicago's Center for Middle Eastern Studies (Humanities Divison)? Thanks

I just received my acceptance with 50% tuition scholarship this morning. I applied through the Social Sciences Division though so that might be a factor in it.

Hey everyone, NELC Fall 2016er here interested in Old South Arabian and Hebrew Bible parallels. I'm currently trying to gauge my standing 9 months out from applying to PHD programs to see if there are any skills I need to sharpen. Would any of you 2015ers that got accepted mind posting an abbreviated version of your CV, a list of schools that you got accepted into, and the funding percentage you've been promised? It might help all of us anxious topic lurkers better assess our situation. 

Edited by Almaqah Thwn

Same here! Congrats! Are you thinking of attending?

I'm not sure yet, Vive... I still have to hear back from Gtown and Princeton and especially other offers of funding from the schools I'm considering... but it would be a wonderful institution to be a part of for a couple years!  It's definitely high on my list.  And I imagine that the amount of aid we've received at Chicago's CMES bodes well for full tuition remission in the second year  :)

Almaqah, for what it's worth, posting my CV would be meaningless because my CV has got almost nothing to do with Middle Eastern studies -- except for the MA program where I did really well, got great recs and connections, and made enough PhD candidate friends to slowly figure out what my SOP should look like.  What got me into the MA program, God knows -- except possibly my writing sample, which was in a totally different field.  My undergrad transcript is in a different field and covered in withdraws with a stint on academic probation.  What I'm trying to say is: 1) there is no one size fits all candidate,  2) good writing will shine through many sins, and 3) the single best thing you can do to get into a PhD program is a related MA.  The BA>PhD route is narrowing more and more every year.  Plus, an MA gives you a chance to figure out if this is really the field for you -- many of my friends decided not to pursue their original PhD plans after the MA program, and that is incredibly valuable information to have. 

I realize it's not financially feasable for everyone to do a terminal MA, and I realize you want to apply for PhDs this year, but it was probably the number one reason for my success.  Unfortunate but true.

My results: accepted UChicago, UMichigan, Indiana; waitlisted Harvard; shortlisted Princeton (finding out those results this week).  All fully funded except Indiana, which is only mostly funded.

also, Jebreel: to the best of my knowledge the last time one person did NOT get full tuition the second year at CMES was in 2011.  If you've got half-tuition your first year (and especially if you get a FLAS second year) UChicago is going to give good bang for your buck.

I just saw someone posted for today an acceptance to Harvard NELC with the note "Unofficial email from POI. Letter on its way." Congratulations! Does anyone want to claim this and would you mind saying which sub-field?

Almaqah, for what it's worth, posting my CV would be meaningless because my CV has got almost nothing to do with Middle Eastern studies -- except for the MA program where I did really well, got great recs and connections, and made enough PhD candidate friends to slowly figure out what my SOP should look like.  What got me into the MA program, God knows -- except possibly my writing sample, which was in a totally different field.  My undergrad transcript is in a different field and covered in withdraws with a stint on academic probation.  What I'm trying to say is: 1) there is no one size fits all candidate,  2) good writing will shine through many sins, and 3) the single best thing you can do to get into a PhD program is a related MA.  The BA>PhD route is narrowing more and more every year.  Plus, an MA gives you a chance to figure out if this is really the field for you -- many of my friends decided not to pursue their original PhD plans after the MA program, and that is incredibly valuable information to have. 

I realize it's not financially feasable for everyone to do a terminal MA, and I realize you want to apply for PhDs this year, but it was probably the number one reason for my success.  Unfortunate but true.

My results: accepted UChicago, UMichigan, Indiana; waitlisted Harvard; shortlisted Princeton (finding out those results this week).  All fully funded except Indiana, which is only mostly funded.

also, Jebreel: to the best of my knowledge the last time one person did NOT get full tuition the second year at CMES was in 2011.  If you've got half-tuition your first year (and especially if you get a FLAS second year) UChicago is going to give good bang for your buck.

Thanks for answering, Babur! I'm actually an MDiv student right now. But my undergrad was at a meager state school in a somewhat related subject, so it is reassuring that one can recover from an unimpressive undergrad. 

Almaqah, I shouldn't have assumed you weren't already getting a Masters!  Sorry about that.  In my experience and from what I've heard, the MA or MDiv more or less erases the BA.  I doubt it will have any effect on your application.

Hi all!

New to the forums.

So I also was accepted to the MA  in Middle Eastern studies at UChicago with a half tuition scholarship.

Long-term goal is a PhD in ANE/Hebrew Bible. Currently finishing my undergraduate degree at a small, private, not well-known school.

So I'll be coming out of my undergrad debt-free and don't actually have any formal background in Near Eastern studies. I realize that the typical advice is "if you have to pay for grad school, don't go." But I was wondering if that really applied to my situation?

I only have a bachelor's degree (or will in 2 months) and I haven't actually "gotten my feet wet" in ANE studies (undergrad is in a related field however). It's pretty unrealistic to expect a PhD offer with my current academic background. Is it wise for me to go ahead and accept the offer to Chicago? I figure if I end up with just a bachelor's and master's degree from Chicago with some debt, that can't be all bad? And at the same time I THINK (correct me if I'm wrong) that there aren't many better schools than Chicago that one can attend to make them a competitive PhD applicant in ANE studies?

Also, to others who were accepted to the MA in Middle Eastern Studies at Chicago: on the site they mention that many students receive full-tuition scholarships for the second year. Does anyone know how frequent this is, or if this is the typical and generic "scholarships are available!" empty promise that schools use to reel in first year students?

Look forward to (hopefully) studying with some of you!

Edited by zhartley