FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

onzeheures, when you were unable to attend the open house, you skyped with more people in the department, right?

Right. In general they were very accommodating even at a distance. Later on they even offered to organize a Skype session for me with someone from Gallaudet, since I am interested in sign languages and students from Maryland can attend classes at Gallaudet (which was very nice, but by that time I'd already decided to go to NYU).

FYI for Michigan applicants- the admissions committee is meeting by the end of this week to make decisions on who to invite for screening week. :) So no need to refresh like crazy till Friday at the very least! 

Also, question- what do we think about chances of admissions without an interview to schools including UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Stanford? I saw one person mention the UCSD open house in the admissions log, but no one else. Has anyone heard back from any of these schools in terms of open house/interviews?

Edited by wug

FYI for Michigan applicants- the admissions committee is meeting by the end of this week to make decisions on who to invite for screening week. :) So no need to refresh like crazy till Friday at the very least! 

Thanks for the update!  I've been going kind of crazy because in previous years they've sent out invites the last week in January.  I'll try to calm down now :)

Also, question- what do we think about chances of admissions without an interview to schools including UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Stanford? 

I don't have any *real* information here, but here's what I've been guessing so far.  I don't know much about UCLA or Stanford because those aren't on my list, but I have been following UCSD and Berkeley.  

UCSD - I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but it seems like it's unlikely to get an admissions offer here without having been invited to the Open House.  They didn't really do any other kinds of interviews, so I think the Open House invites are the short-list.  I haven't talked to anyone at UCSD about this or anything though, so feel free to correct me.

Berkeley - I think there is absolutely a chance for admission without interviews.  Once again, I didn't interview with them, but most everyone who did seemed to have the same question being asked to them related to trying to figure out their research goals.  In my case, I know that I presented a very unified research goal, so I'm not surprised that I wasn't interviewed, if that was the purpose.  So in this case, being interviewed means they are still seriously considering you, but not being interviewed probably doesn't mean you're out.  Again, this is entirely speculative so please correct me if I'm mistaken

Haha yeah, no need to worry. I'm 100% certain they have yet to meet and make a shortlist. I'm currently attending and was just speaking with admissions committee members.

UCSD - I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but it seems like it's unlikely to get an admissions offer here without having been invited to the Open House.  They didn't really do any other kinds of interviews, so I think the Open House invites are the short-list.  I haven't talked to anyone at UCSD about this or anything though, so feel free to correct me.

Berkeley - I think there is absolutely a chance for admission without interviews.  Once again, I didn't interview with them, but most everyone who did seemed to have the same question being asked to them related to trying to figure out their research goals.  In my case, I know that I presented a very unified research goal, so I'm not surprised that I wasn't interviewed, if that was the purpose.  So in this case, being interviewed means they are still seriously considering you, but not being interviewed probably doesn't mean you're out.  Again, this is entirely speculative so please correct me if I'm mistaken

Yeah, gonna have to write off UCSD too I think. Though I have to say it'd be really nice for them to just let the rejection letters out if they've officially sent out their shortlist invites. 

As for Berkeley, THANKS. I wasn't sure what those interviews were all about so I was totally freaking out haha. I also presented specific research goals and POIs. Good to know I can still be positive about a few. ;P

I'm told that you never necessarily know whether a department is doing interviews with people at the top, bottom, or middle of the list, so you never exactly know whether being interviewed or not means your chances are good or not so good, though I think it's valid to assume that if they bother to interview you at all, they at least think you have potential.

I'm an undergrad at UCSD. The department only invites people they are planning to offer admission to (basically the purpose of open house is to make sure that the people they're planning to admit aren't totally insane before they commit to them). And the Open House here is next Friday, so I'm pretty sure they're done sending out invites.

About Berkeley, I have no idea, but my impression of my interview was that they wanted to clear up why my writing sample isn't connected to the research I want to do in grad school. So, I don't think it's necessarily the case that you had to get an interview in order to get accepted. Also, when they gave me possible interview dates, the absolute last one was Jan 27, so I think that since that's passed they're close to making final decisions!! 

I'm an undergrad at UCSD. The department only invites people they are planning to offer admission to (basically the purpose of open house is to make sure that the people they're planning to admit aren't totally insane before they commit to them). And the Open House here is next Friday, so I'm pretty sure they're done sending out invites.

About Berkeley, I have no idea, but my impression of my interview was that they wanted to clear up why my writing sample isn't connected to the research I want to do in grad school. So, I don't think it's necessarily the case that you had to get an interview in order to get accepted. Also, when they gave me possible interview dates, the absolute last one was Jan 27, so I think that since that's passed they're close to making final decisions!! 

Thanks!! It's nice to be able to cross things off the list to mentally move on haha. And many thanks for the further clarification on the Berkeley interview front! 

No problem! I'm under the impression that the department can't take a many students for next year because this year's cohort is pretty big...

Yeah I definitely don't think you need to worry too much about Berkeley -- all the people who were interviewed got the same email, and it was specifically about the writing sample. Good luck!! :)

Also, question- what do we think about chances of admissions without an interview to schools including UCSD, UC Berkeley, UCLA, and Stanford?

I only know for sure that one can get waitlisted at UCLA without an interview. Don't know about direct admissions.

And yeah, I'll second what other people have said about UCSD (based on my best friend's experience). They invite the shortlisted candidates to an open house; if one cannot make it, they can do a Skype interview (and maybe even a virtual lab tour =)).

Haha yeah, no need to worry. I'm 100% certain they have yet to meet and make a shortlist. I'm currently attending and was just speaking with admissions committee members.

Wait, did you mean you're attending at Michigan? (If so, hi from a 2014 alumn!)

For Berkeley, they didn't actually ask about my writing sample at all, despite what the email said- the one research-related question they had was about the experiment I'm currently running.  I think they likely wanted to be 100% sure my current research fit with their interests, so I'd say that doesn't reduce the chance that they'll admit candidates they didn't interview!

And, when I asked, one of my former professors said she wasn't aware of UCLA doing interviews in the past... and she's been doing this for a while, so I think it's safe to assume we shouldn't worry about no interviews from them.

Edited by skhaao

Wait, did you mean you're attending at Michigan? (If so, hi from a 2014 alumn!)

Yes! :) Graduating this May. Hey, there! haha. If you graduated W14, I might've seen you in Capstone. 

Yes! :) Graduating this May. Hey, there! haha. If you graduated W14, I might've seen you in Capstone. 

I graduated last May, so W2014! I took the capstone seminar fall semester of my junior year, though, so probably not... haha

It says you're applying to Michigan... Linguistics, or another department? If it's Linguistics, super envious (I miss it so!!)

I graduated last May, so W2014! I took the capstone seminar fall semester of my junior year, though, so probably not... haha

It says you're applying to Michigan... Linguistics, or another department? If it's Linguistics, super envious (I miss it so!!)

Yeah! Mich Ling. :) I'm trying for the impossible self-matriculation at UofM haha.

Oh yeah, so I heard from a current UCLA grad student, they said that the admissions committee isn't even meeting until early February so looks like we have a couple weeks at least...

I just got into Berkeley I can't even process what's happening now ahhh what?! I don't even know how to react I was totally not expecting this!!

Congratulations!!!!!  Seriously, that's amazing.  

On a selfish note, did you find out by email or did they post something online?

Congratulations!!!!! Seriously, that's amazing.

On a selfish note, did you find out by email or did they post something online?

Totally not selfish! I'd want to know too. It was an email, in fact I just looked at my application status online and it still just says submitted :P

Congrats!!!

Thanks chiki!!

Congrats!!! Totally can imagine that moment lol

Thanks!! Yeah it was the funniest moment, I was in the middle of chewing a piece of food while checking my email and then I just started freaking out lol

btw, does anyone have any idea about the UIUC(Urbana Champaign of IL) Ling department?

Checked the history but it seems that they did not send out interviews/open house invitations.

Hiya! I visited there earlier this month (not on an official invite; I was just in the area) and they told me to expect to hear from them early/mid-Feb.