FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

I just got an email from Stony Brook: I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

So excited!

(ps. since I saw there are other SB admitted up here, feel free to PM me! does any how you plan to attend the open house?) 

Yay!!!! Congrats!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!!! :)

Everyone in the department is really, really lovely... feel free to ask me questions as well (especially if they pertain to the p-side of things, socio, or historical linguistics... I've actually taken most of the graduate courses in those areas, and know all of the professors and grad students who specialize in them very well!)

Got another email from a professor saying she's looking forward to meeting me (at around 6am EST on a Saturday...?). They are so nice. ^_^

I just got an email from Stony Brook: I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!

So excited!

(ps. since I saw there are other SB admitted up here, feel free to PM me! does any how you plan to attend the open house?) 

Congratulations!!!  :D

Guys, I want to write an email to my interviewer at SB (well, also my POI) to thank him for his support and for the kindness he showed during the interview.

Do you think it would be inappopriate?

I got invited to Michigan :o.

Me too!!

Hey, I'm a current grad student at Michigan- congrats on the invites! Chiki, the department is very understanding of students who can't make it. The faculty are great and are really excited about the group they have invited this year. I'm sure your skype interview will go great! Rainbowpink, looking forward to meeting you next month! 

If there is already an on-site interview, normally they won't give extra offers but will put people on a waiting list instead. At least that's what happened to the two open house with interviews I went to. And in both cases, the admission rates after the open houses were something like 1 in 3.

Oh I see! That makes sense. I wouldn't be surprised if I got waitlisted at Maryland, I have very very good fit with my POI but my fit with the department as a whole is just so-so.

Guys, I want to write an email to my interviewer at SB (well, also my POI) to thank him for his support and for the kindness he showed during the interview.

Do you think it would be inappopriate?

I think that would be very appropriate and also nice =)

I think that would be very appropriate and also nice =)

Thanks!

I wrote him a few lines. I also told him that I'll do my best to attend the open house, and - for the sake of full disclosure- that although I am very excited about the department I'll wait to hear back from the other schools before making a final decision.

Yeah another program told me I'm invited to the open house but isn't sending out official invites for a few days (long story, involving deadlines for an additional certificate program...) and just said it would be at the "end of February." I'm worried it will conflict with Maryland, which means I might have to pick one to reschedule. Should I accept UMD, since they gave the official dates first? Would I be overstepping my bounds to ask the other school for more specific dates, explaining that I need to see if there's a conflict? It would make more sense for me to reschedule UMD, since I'm so close to them, but I don't want to wait around for the other offer before replying to the UMD people. The UMD open house also sounds like a lot of fun!

(Sorry, my brain is exploding a little with all this good news!)

Oh hey, so if you were still thinking of trying to go to Maryland on a different day, Jeff Lidz told me that there's another prospective student who can't make it and is going Wednesday, Feb 18th. I'm going to try to go that day as well, so if you wanted to do that there could be three of us :)

Oh hey, so if you were still thinking of trying to go to Maryland on a different day, Jeff Lidz told me that there's another prospective student who can't make it and is going Wednesday, Feb 18th. I'm going to try to go that day as well, so if you wanted to do that there could be three of us :)

Awesome!! I sent him an email today explaining my situation, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I could definitely make that day (no Wednesday classes!), so this should work out.  I'll PM you if I end up going the 18th as well--it would be great to meet you (and to not be the only one there haha)!

Isn't this a dying field already? There's no funding. Don't attend UAF-Fairbanks. There are some powerful, evil people on their faculty who don't know what honesty means.

I don't know anything about UAF-Fairbanks, but I don't think linguistics is a dying field. I mean, it's never had much funding to begin with, so this is nothing new. It also depends what subfield you're in. Many of the departments I'm applying to have plenty of money (granted, many of them are cog sci or psych departments, but still).

Awesome!! I sent him an email today explaining my situation, but he hasn't gotten back to me yet. I could definitely make that day (no Wednesday classes!), so this should work out.  I'll PM you if I end up going the 18th as well--it would be great to meet you (and to not be the only one there haha)!

Awesome! :D

Care to be more specific? It's one of the programs I'm considering.

I don't know anything about UAF-Fairbanks, but I don't think linguistics is a dying field. I mean, it's never had much funding to begin with, so this is nothing new. It also depends what subfield you're in. Many of the departments I'm applying to have plenty of money (granted, many of them are cog sci or psych departments, but still).

Well if there's no funding and a surplus of unemployed linguists out there, it's not worth it. Study in Norway or Germany. Tuition free. Edited by gendertreachery

Well if there's no funding and a surplus of unemployed linguists out there, it's not worth it. Study in Norway or Germany. Tuition free.

Well taking a PhD offer with no funding makes absolutely no sense! I thought you were referring to grant funding, not funding for PhD programs...

And I more or less mean it's a dying field because there is no funding. Sooner or later people will stop attending graduate school in the humanities and arts. Unless they are a married housewife. ;)

I am rather confused by your last few posts. What do you mean exactly by funding? If you are talking about funding as a graduate student: the top programs in Linguistics all fund their PhD students, that means covering full tuition, insurance, etc. and giving them a stipend in addition.

If you are talking about funding after graduation, that is to say, finding a job, then yeah the job market is pretty bleak. But that is the case for solid academic jobs (i.e. tenure track) in all fields actually. If you are interested in this, every couple of months, there's a piece in the Chronicle of Higher Education about the tenure system, what universities are prioritizing over supporting their faculty, etc. 

If you are talking about funding from organizations like the NSF, then yeah, the non-STEM fields are at a disadvantage. But I think (among other things) that this is a matter of better communication between, e.g. linguists and the public about what Linguistics is as a field and why people should care about what we discover in our research. 

Point is, there are a lot of complicating factors concerning funding at these different levels, but you seem to either be conflating them or not providing us enough information to disambiguate what you mean. And I definitely don't get why you refer to "married housewives"? Every way I've tried to interpret it, I am left thinking that it is offensive. 

And I more or less mean it's a dying field because there is no funding. Sooner or later people will stop attending graduate school in the humanities and arts. Unless they are a married housewife. ;)

Please take your negativity and sexism elsewhere. We're here to support each other. Thanks.

46 years ago we put a man on the moon, yet we're still feeding forum trolls...

Well at first I thought they were just confused, then it became clear they were just trolling...

For my part, I regret asking my question in this thread, which is clearly not an appropriate place to discuss the pros and cons of specific programs. I should have taken it to PM immediately. Sorry.

Edited by ImberNoctis

I'm not a sexist by any means. But the current trend suggests an overwhelming # of women, especially married women, in graduate school. I hope my negativity will enlighten some out there who are headed for a lifetime of debt. That is the reality of Linguistics programs. By no funding, I simply mean there's no funding. What about that is not clear?

Edited by gendertreachery