FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

I also got an acceptance email from UIUC, I am extremely relieved. It did mention that I will be funded, but nothing about the campus visit. I guess it's because i'm not from the states?

Also got a rejection from Berkeley and that's it for now.

On UCLA (for those of you who didn't care to frequently check their For Prospective Graduate Students page, like me):

(directly copied & pasted from here)

So, there!

Wow, that's a lot of applications! I saw elsewhere on the website that they usually only get about 150 or something...good luck all :)

I've been accepted to UBC's English Language program, but I have my fingers crossed for U of T Linguistics. Has anyone heard anything?

Also, I know from expert sources that SFU is in the process of reviewing applications, there was a meeting yesterday and I don't think anything has been sent out.

I've been accepted to UBC's English Language program, but I have my fingers crossed for U of T Linguistics. Has anyone heard anything?

Also, I know from expert sources that SFU is in the process of reviewing applications, there was a meeting yesterday and I don't think anything has been sent out.

Congrats, lore. Given that the deadline for the PhD application submission to the English Graduate Program was 15th of January, your acceptance seems hella fast!

It was January 20th for the Dept. of Linguistics. I expect to hear back from them by the end of next week or so, judging by the last year's admissions data.

I have zero ideas on Toronto. It seems interesting that you're applying to SFU. Do you mind if I ask who your POI would be?

Congrats, lore. Given that the deadline for the PhD application submission to the English Graduate Program was 15th of January, your acceptance seems hella fast!

It was January 20th for the Dept. of Linguistics. I expect to hear back from them by the end of next week or so, judging by the last year's admissions data.

I have zero ideas on Toronto. It seems interesting that you're applying to SFU. Do you mind if I ask who your POI would be?

I'm looking at the masters program, but it was faster because I applied for SSHRC funding too (which had a December 1st deadline) and they contacted me mid-January saying they had reviewed it and were recommending me for admission (which I officially received on Monday).

And I did my undergrad at SFU. My POI would be Pappas, who has been an incredible reference and help with the whole process. If you have any questions about SFU, feel free to shoot me a message. I know a lot of the professors.

Sitting in Chicago waiting to fly to Providence!! I'm so excited and anxious!! :D

Good Luck!!!!

Now, I have a question for you all! I always assumed one program's rejections would come out all at once. Was I wrong?

Because I saw somebody posted a rej. notification from Upenn recently, so I was wondering where is mine!! Am I crazy for just wanting my straight out rejection email? :rolleyes:  :blink:  :D

I mean, I know I am, but ... I want my Rejection already!! I need to start officially crossing off programs.

Because I saw somebody posted a rej. notification from Upenn recently, so I was wondering where is mine!!

Maybe they liked you a lot and decided to accept you even without any interview!

I was interviewed two weeks ago and got a rejection yesterday. =(

I'm waiting for a smoke signal from CUNY, but it seems that they take a long time to establish any kind of contact (almost two months already!).

Maybe they liked you a lot and decided to accept you even without any interview!

I was interviewed two weeks ago and got a rejection yesterday. =(

I'm waiting for a smoke signal from CUNY, but it seems that they take a long time to establish any kind of contact (almost two months already!).

Oh, I'm sorry! :(

As for they liking me so much, I don't think so. It's probably reasonable to assume they notified those whom they interviewed first.

I don't mean to rub salt in your open wound but... may I ask if you got an official rejection or a personal email from your interviewers? 

As for CUNY, I'm right there with you man!! Their deadline was in December!! :wacko:

may I ask if you got an official rejection or a personal email from your interviewers? 

I got an official rejection email from the Graduate Chair. It said:

Dear XXX,

On behalf of the Graduate Group in Linguistics at the University of Pennsylvania, I am writing to let you know that the admissions committee has decided that we cannot offer you admission at this time. We received more than 150 applications, so we had to made some difficult decisions.

I'm sorry that I don't have better news. We wish you good luck in your future studies.

YYY
Graduate Chair

Interesting. I still haven't heard back from UPenn (acceptance or rejection) and I also never had an interview with them. I did speak/email with a POI back in October, but that's about it. Any ideas? Waitlist maybe?

I'm looking at the masters program, but it was faster because I applied for SSHRC funding too (which had a December 1st deadline) and they contacted me mid-January saying they had reviewed it and were recommending me for admission (which I officially received on Monday).

And I did my undergrad at SFU. My POI would be Pappas, who has been an incredible reference and help with the whole process. If you have any questions about SFU, feel free to shoot me a message. I know a lot of the professors.

Aha! I see. That makes sense.

Will do. Thanks for letting me know!

I also got nothing from Penn, I talked to a POI around November, I believe. I see some people got acceptance or rejection notices. I was basically assuming I got rejected. But time will tell.

Saw that some people got unofficial news of acceptance to NYU today. Congratulations to them!

So if I didn't get an email like that.... should I assume I'm out?

oi, congrats for your acceptance to cornell! :D

Saw that some people got unofficial news of acceptance to NYU today. Congratulations to them!

So if I didn't get an email like that.... should I assume I'm out?

Did you have an interview? If no, then you can safely assume that. If yes, don't assume anything for now =) THE meeting happened today, the faculty have made their decisions, and the POIs will be sending out the (unofficial) news in the next few days.

P.S. Oh, I've just seen in your signature that you did have an interview. So stay alert for a couple of days =)

Edited by onzeheures30

Thank you for the encouragement! I actually just did get the email saying I'm in, so I'm gonna shut up and just be over here freaking out until further notice.

Oh, excellent! Congrats!!! Hope you'll come for the Open House in March. And sure enough, feel free to PM me with any questions about our dept in the meantime.

oi, congrats for your acceptance to cornell! :D

Oh, excellent! Congrats!!! Hope you'll come for the Open House in March. And sure enough, feel free to PM me with any questions about our dept in the meantime.

Thank you so much!! I had 3 interviews with them (my POIs weren't able to coordinate for one) and I felt that I really bombed the first one, so this was pretty unexpected for me. 

As for not hearing from UPenn (or Maryland for that matter), I am just going to assume I didn't get in, and try to move on with my life. It does make me upset that some departments just don't bother to inform some applicants until months later that, oh hey, in case you somehow didn't get it, you're not in. We all put so much time and effort into the applications that we send to these places that it seems like the least they could do is send us notification of acceptance or rejection in a timely manner.

It does make me upset that some departments just don't bother to inform some applicants until months later that, oh hey, in case you somehow didn't get it, you're not in. We all put so much time and effort into the applications that we send to these places that it seems like the least they could do is send us notification of acceptance or rejection in a timely manner.

Agreed.