FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

I'm supposed to visit Maryland tomorrow but I'm starting to get worried....I'm flying from San Diego to Boston to DC, I hope neither of my flights get canceled because of the crazy weather in Boston!!!

Yeah we're expecting 6-10 inches of snow in DC :/ Good luck, I really hope you can make it!!

I'm happy to see that results are coming in slowly but steadily! Congratulations to everyone who already got an offer or offers, and the best of luck to those still waiting for a YES! 

So, has anyone heard from University of Pittsburgh? Their deadline was two months ago and I haven't heard back from them, which I feel isn't a good sign. Although based on the results from the past couple of years they probably aren't going to be able to provide funding, and that would make it an automatic no for me. But still, I'd like to start crossing off schools. I can't handle the stress of not knowing!  :-P

So, has anyone heard from University of Pittsburgh? Their deadline was two months ago and I haven't heard back from them, which I feel isn't a good sign. Although based on the results from the past couple of years they probably aren't going to be able to provide funding, and that would make it an automatic no for me. But still, I'd like to start crossing off schools. I can't handle the stress of not knowing!  :-P

I haven't heard from them regarding a decision, but my POI contacted me last month to notify me that the dept had nominated me to apply for a Mellon Fellowship (for which I essentially had to submit a dissertation proposal, which was daunting to say the least). I haven't heard back since I submitted that on Jan 21. Like you said though, based on the results boards, funding seems limited so I'm wondering if my acceptance is purely contingent on receiving the mellon. :?

Also, to those who were accepted into Chicago: were you asked to fill out the FLAS? I also was contacted by them for a funding opportunity, yet have not heard back regarding any kind of decision.

I haven't heard from them regarding a decision, but my POI contacted me last month to notify me that the dept had nominated me to apply for a Mellon Fellowship (for which I essentially had to submit a dissertation proposal, which was daunting to say the least). I haven't heard back since I submitted that on Jan 21. Like you said though, based on the results boards, funding seems limited so I'm wondering if my acceptance is purely contingent on receiving the mellon. :?

Also, to those who were accepted into Chicago: were you asked to fill out the FLAS? I also was contacted by them for a funding opportunity, yet have not heard back regarding any kind of decision.

Thanks for sharing that! I emailed the department to confirm, but I think it's going to be a rejection for me since they have obviously been going through the applications and I haven't gotten anything. It's ok though because I have a fully funded offer on the table that I'm probably going to take since the program is a great fit for me.

good luck! I hope you get some good news soon!

I got accepted into Chicago and I got the email about the FLAS a while back too. Since it's applicable to more than linguistics, I just assumed they sent it to people that fulfill certain requirements or something (like those that have a certain GPA).

I got accepted into Chicago and I got the email about the FLAS a while back too. Since it's applicable to more than linguistics, I just assumed they sent it to people that fulfill certain requirements or something (like those that have a certain GPA).

Congratulations! I'm not sure to be honest because I also applied to Chicago last year (obviously didn't get in) and never received an email for the FLAS. While my application improved in the meanwhile (more research experience, presentations), nothing statistical like GPA or GRE had changed. Hmm. 

Woo Rutgers!

Are you admitted to Rutgers? If so, congrats!

I'm a current student there. If anyone has any questions about the program, feel free to ask me. I received a lot of help from people in this forum when I applied two years ago. And now I have my two cents ready!

I am admitted "unofficially". Feel free to give your cents, because I'm not sure I'll be able to actually visit. Rutgers isn't at the top of my list, because it has less faculty who's work I'm interested in relative to some other schools I'm admitted to. Specifically, only Mark Baker and Ken Safir are really of interest to me, as a morphosyntaxy person, perhaps also Veneeta Dayal but she seems more on the syntax-semantics side. I could be swayed, though, since Rutgers seems to have a pretty solid job placement rate. An advisor of mine suggested that I should apply there because the culture is more "language-y" in the sense of doing fun things with lots of languages, which suits me more rather than worrying about nitty-gritty theory internal details based on data from English or whatever. I'd also be interested to know to what extent the program facilitates doing fieldwork, since that's a thing I care about a lot, and some other programs I'm considering are pretty big on that, which attracts me.

What is this 'Applied for PhD but admitted for MA' thing? I saw several people writing this and I was wondering what it means

It means they applied for the PhD program but the department admitted them to the MA instead. I'm guessing it's either a funding issue (since MA programs aren't funded in most places) or they don't think you have enough prerequisites for the Ph.D program but seem overall promising enough.

I'm heading to Ann Arbor this afternoon for my first campus visit!!  :) Packed my best winter gear for the extreme cold...

It means they applied for the PhD program but the department admitted them to the MA instead. I'm guessing it's either a funding issue (since MA programs aren't funded in most places) or they don't think you have enough prerequisites for the Ph.D program but seem overall promising enough.

I'm heading to Ann Arbor this afternoon for my first campus visit!!  :) Packed my best winter gear for the extreme cold...

Thank you for the reply :)

Have a nice visit! :)

I was admitted to the MA program at both schools that accepted me, although I applied for the PhD and already have an MA. They both told me it's because they have very strict and specific requirements for the MA and I'll have to meet those before I can start the PhD program.

Have fun in the mitten!! You may even be there soon enough after Fat Tuesday that they still have paczkis  :D

I'm a long-time lurker and refrained from posting simply by virtue of the fact that programs I've applied to haven't been brought into the discussions. But I just saw on the results page that someone got an interview with UVA. If this person reads this, mind sharing details? 

Also, I saw that in past years Oregon usually contacts people mid-February regarding MA admissions but I haven't a word about them yet. Anybody have any idea what's going on in Eugene? Thanks.

I'm a long-time lurker and refrained from posting simply by virtue of the fact that programs I've applied to haven't been brought into the discussions. But I just saw on the results page that someone got an interview with UVA. If this person reads this, mind sharing details? 

Also, I saw that in past years Oregon usually contacts people mid-February regarding MA admissions but I haven't a word about them yet. Anybody have any idea what's going on in Eugene? Thanks.

Hey d-rex! I'm the person who was contacted by UVA. I received an e-mail from the program director asking to arrange a phone meeting regarding my application - unless I had already accepted elsewhere. Since I haven't accepted an offer yet, I of course wrote back to schedule the meeting. Haven't received a response yet but will keep you posted once I hear back. 

Danica,

Congrats. I assume it was Dr. Dobrin who contacted you? I read quite bit of her work a few years ago and really admire her plus I have close friends in Charlottesville, so I would be excited to go to UVA. Now I'm nervous about my own prospects and doing the over-zealous refreshing like crazy move (and neglecting a phonology project in the process).

Thanks for the details and best of luck. I guess now that I'm going to start posting, I should probably create a signature block.

Edited by d-rex

Danica,

Congrats. I assume it was Dr. Dobrin who contacted you? I read quite bit of her work a few years ago and really admire her plus I have close friends in Charlottesville, so I would be excited to go to UVA. Now I'm nervous about my own prospects and doing the over-zealous refreshing like crazy move (and neglecting a phonology project in the process).

Thanks for the details and best of luck. I guess now that I'm going to start posting, I should probably create a signature block.

Yes, it was Dr. Dobrin. Since my interests are quite far from hers, I'm assuming the actual meeting will be with one of the other professors. I still haven't gotten a response, so they're probably done for the evening. Relax and try to focus on something you like doing to get your mind off of it. I know I'm going to take a nice long bubble bath and relax for a minute before attempting to continue working on my thesis. I have been obsessively checking my e-mail and all the application websites for weeks, unable to get my thesis done (oops), and that is no way to live! Fingers crossed tomorrow is your day! And everyone else's for that matter  :)

If you're looking at PhD programs in theoretical linguistics, I think you're probably out of luck without much margin of error, as far as US programs are concerned. Looking at the level of programs that you have applied for admissions, I doubt you would be interested in earning a degree at unknown places which *might* still be accepting applications. I don't know much about Canadian programs.

However, I have always thought that Leiden has a great program. Well, it depends on your interest, of course, but I don't think I would be worried if I were in your position.

Yes, you are right... Of course, I wouldn't be interested in unknown universities, but maybe there were some interesting programs still available! =)

Leiden is a great place with a great program in linguistics, so I think I will be going there! Thanks!