FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Yes, it was Dr. Dobrin. Since my interests are quite far from hers, I'm assuming the actual meeting will be with one of the other professors. I still haven't gotten a response, so they're probably done for the evening. Relax and try to focus on something you like doing to get your mind off of it. I know I'm going to take a nice long bubble bath and relax for a minute before attempting to continue working on my thesis. I have been obsessively checking my e-mail and all the application websites for weeks, unable to get my thesis done (oops), and that is no way to live! Fingers crossed tomorrow is your day! And everyone else's for that matter  :)

I wouldn't actually characterize myself as nervous, that was definitely a bit of hyperbole on my part. More like... excited that I've started to see posts about the schools I've applied to (Indiana also). Lucky for me that I'm not actually working on a thesis (my situation is weird).

Oh, and to Tairy.... congratulations. That's awesome.

To those waitlisted, how did you find that out? Did the school contact you, did you ask the department or are you just assuming that? 

I have been waitlisted by three programs, all of which contacted me by e-mail, with delays range from one day to three weeks after they contacted their admits.

Thanks for the congrats, this doesn't feel real at all. The only evidence that I didn't actually hallucinate the whole thing was that my phone has a call from Massachusetts in its history. I just need to like, go to bed or something. 

Thanks for the congrats, this doesn't feel real at all. The only evidence that I didn't actually hallucinate the whole thing was that my phone has a call from Massachusetts in its history. I just need to like, go to bed or something. 

For those of you who have done/are doing campus visits...how many meetings with individual faculty members did you have?  I just got my schedule for my Open House at Yale next week and I'm having individual meetings with nearly 2/3 of the faculty... is this normal?

For those of you who have done/are doing campus visits...how many meetings with individual faculty members did you have?  I just got my schedule for my Open House at Yale next week and I'm having individual meetings with nearly 2/3 of the faculty... is this normal?

Anyone has idea about Georgetown? Their admission is quite random this year.

I wonder if each concentration have their own schedule on it, or they have already sent out their results. Should I e-mail them and ask about their timetable or plan......?

Have you seen the rejection posted today? Holding my breath. At this point I think I will be lucky if I get an offer for the Masters program...

For the poster who mentioned that they received an unofficial email from Georgetown, did you contact them individually, or was it unprompted?

Also, has anyone heard any news from University of Washington? They normally announce this week and I'm wondering if that's still the case.

Warning: Extreme over-analysis. This is more about me needing to get my thoughts out than about actually expecting anyone to have an answer.

Someone posted that they are at the top of UConn's waitlist...seeing as UConn's open house is next weekend, what does this mean for those invited? I thought they would invite the shortlist and then accept or waitlist them after interviews, but since someone got told they were on the waitlist...does this mean they intend to accept all those invited?

I just got an email today from UW saying that I'm being considered for admission and asking if I'm still interested. Soooo no idea if that means I've been admitted, but I think it's a good sign?

Were you contacted by your POI? Or was this the graduate coordinator?

I met with 8 people at Brown, 4 people at NYU, and 5 people at Maryland so it's sort of been all over the place. I don't know how many 2/3 of the Yale faculty is, but don't be intimidated :)

I met individually with 7 faculty members at Michigan, and a few more came to talk to me during other events because I didn't have individual meetings with them. I think they try to talk to you as much as possible because at this stage students aren't necessarily set on what they want to do in their PhD program, so departments want to expose you to everything they have available. Also, if they pay you to go there and all the events are really centered around you (and other prospective students), it would make sense for the department to talk to you as much as possible if they can arrange to do so, given people's schedule and whatnot.

It was a lot of fun, by the way. At first I was really intimidated, but I quickly felt really spoiled by how nice people are and how much they've arranged for us.