FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

So I asked a school to remove me off their waiting list a while ago, since I've already made my decision to accept an offer. Today I got an email from the school linking me to the website, which says I have not been admitted. I was like... no, actually I rejected you first.

But it was all super impersonal and from the graduate admissions people rather than the department, so it might have just been some official thing.

After 4 rejections and a countless number of sleepless nights with my name on a waitlist, now at the dawn of the week of April 15th,

I must have been on the edge because I was still accessible to admissions operations – and I'm accepted to and will be attending UCLA.

After 4 rejections and a countless number of sleepless nights with my name on a waitlist, now at the dawn of the week of April 15th,

I must have been on the edge because I was still accessible to admissions operations – and I'm accepted to and will be attending UCLA.

That is awesome!!! Congratulations!!

Congratulations!!!

I just made my final admissions decision, choosing a less prestigious program that's an *amazing* research match over a couple of "better" programs (after being reassured by all three of my previous advisors that I was making the right choice), and I feel so relieved and happy!

...or at least I did, until one of the professors at one of the more prestigious programs sent me an email saying he doesn't accept my choice, and basically telling me that I was dooming myself to mediocrity. And now I'm a) feeling guilty for turning his program down, and 2) back to freaking out about my future... again...

Edited by skhaao

That's awesome news, congrats!!

I saw your acceptance in the results page - and it made me really happy, cause I know how depressing it can be not to be accepted anywhere, really cool!

That is awesome!!! Congratulations!!

Thank you guys! I feel very much encouraged.

Congratulations!!!

I just made my final admissions decision, choosing a less prestigious program that's an *amazing* research match over a couple of "better" programs (after being reassured by all three of my previous advisors that I was making the right choice), and I feel so relieved and happy!

...or at least I did, until one of the professors at one of the more prestigious programs sent me an email saying he doesn't accept my choice, and basically telling me that I was dooming myself to mediocrity. And now I'm a) feeling guilty for turning his program down, and 2) back to freaking out about my future... again...

Thank you. Although I've never been in your position, that you are feeling happy must be a sign that you have made a right decision regardless of what others might say. Congratulations on making your final decision!

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!

CONGRATS! :)

Congratulations!!!

Congratulations! I also had a similar situation but I am happy I made the choice to a program with a better research fit. Anyways, good luck in September!

• 1 month later...

I don't know if many here are attending schools outside of the USA, (I've seen mainly posts about American schools,) but I'll be going to the University Glasgow this fall for their English Language & English Linguistics MSc.

Edited by Aliciaftw

I don't know if many here are attending schools outside of the USA, (I've seen mainly posts about American schools,) but I'll be going to the University Glasgow this fall for their English Language & English Linguistics MSc.

Congrats!

I'm headed to London for an MA in Linguistics and Language.

Hi everybody,

I was rejected from the three Phd Programs (CUNY, NYU, RUTGERS) for which I had applied. My interest is directed toward Spanish Linguistics (more precisely Sociolinguistics).

I would like to work on strengthening my application in order to reapply next year, therefore I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to become better qualified. 

I would appreciate any suggestions/personal experiences.

Thank you so much!

Hi everybody,

I was rejected from the three Phd Programs (CUNY, NYU, RUTGERS) for which I had applied. My interest is directed toward Spanish Linguistics (more precisely Sociolinguistics).

I would like to work on strengthening my application in order to reapply next year, therefore I was wondering if you could give me some advice on how to become better qualified. 

Thank you so much!

For starters I think it would be a good idea to apply to more programs next year. There are programs specifically in Spanish/Hispanic Linguistics (or at least something like an official track in a Linguistics program for Spanish Linguistics), so you might want to look into those. I personally don't know much about them because it's not my speciality, but a quick google search would give you lots of results.

Hi fenicia, There's been several of us around GC this season who applied to Linguistics through the Spanish Dept. My comments are in respect to Spanish departments, so might not be exactly in line with your interests. As rainbowpink says, consider applying to more programs. I applied to 9 programs and got 4 acceptances. I am super-nontraditional and consider the result to represent victory. I took 6 months preparing my apps and wish I had had a year. You really need to think about what it is about you that makes you unique and then make a simple yet original and hopefully interesting presentation that ties across all your important material (SOP, LORs, Writing Samples). If I can do it, I guarantee you that you can do it. Message me if you want to talk more.

Hi everybody,

Thank you so much!

Off the top of my head, you should probably look into UIUC, Indiana and OSU as well

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

it's been a while but now that we are approaching the Beginning (I just received my TA assignment for next Fall! :)) I just wanted to Thank you all for the support and company you all provided during the crazy months known as "application season". :)

Seriously, my mental health owes you big time!

Hey Garyon, good to hear back from some of the 2015 applicants. The Spanish thread completely croaked. 

Hey eyepod! Probably we are all overloaded by the stuff to do before August!

I'm so excited I can hardly focus, I really can't wait to start!

What about you? How are things going?

I'm so excited to start in the fall. I'm definitely enjoying the free time right now, although I also have some research work to keep me feeling productive.

The whole application feels so far away now, but I can still remember I was feeling throughout those months. I hope I'll be able to be helpful to those applying this fall.

I oscillate between really excited and really panicked. But definitely looking forward to this major life change!

rainbowpink is so right, the application feels like a distant memory now. Those were crazy ups and downs!

I'm super excited and ready to start.  But my program doesn't start until late September, so I have a little while to wait :( .  I'll be busy until then though, which should help.

Hi everybody, I'm really new to this forum. Is anybody applying for 2016 fall?

I'm sure there are plenty of people gearing up for Fall 2016!! This is the 2015 thread though. It looks like a 2016 thread hasn't been started -- go ahead and start one if you like, although there might not be too much activity before August probably.