FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

...the current trend suggests an overwhelming # of women, especially married women, in graduate school.

Another current trend suggests an overwhelming # of misogynists, especially ones who deny that they are sexist, like to point out the number of women in different professions as a way to devalue them.

How can someone with the name gendertreachery be a sexist? That assumption is simple-minded. The truth is that a lot of talented young men out there have no source of monetary support and are left with crippling amounts of debt. It's irresponsible for universities and their professors to encourage young people to matriculate in their graduate programs without 100% funding. As an academic, I would be appalled.

How can someone with the name gendertreachery be a sexist? That assumption is simple-minded. The truth is that a lot of talented young men out there have no source of monetary support and are left with crippling amounts of debt. It's irresponsible for universities and their professors to encourage young people to matriculate in their graduate programs without 100% funding. As an academic, I would be appalled.

I'll bite one last time because having a debate with a troll is not exactly the best use of my time. Good linguistics programs (like the ones people on this board are applying to) offer full funding for their students, including a tuition remission and a decent stipend. Go spread your negativity where it is relevant (=not here), and leave the misogynist remarks out of it if you want to be taken seriously. 

Two years ago David Harrison, a prominent linguist and co-founder of Living Tongues mentioned at a conference that he felt terrible writing letters of recommendations because there is just so little funding nowadays. And the only sexists out there are those who assume I'm a man. I said nothing about women, just married women. And I bet all of you are married, right? Lol

Good luck everyone. Funding is essential. Don't take that lightly.

I'm not sure how much luck I'll need given that I already have 5-year funding packages from multiple universities. Goodbye! :) 

And unfortunately I think Linguistics is still dominated by a few male names who care only for their own ideas. I think it's great there are so many women, but my guess is they also have a financially solvent male figure in the equation.

To be fair, I DID choose the program that I did because of the impressive placement rate of their graduates in both academia and industry, the emphasis they place on finishing students within 5 years, and the overall generous funding package in addition making every attempt to provide students with summer funding...

I don't think every "fully funded" program necessarily has those characteristics and they're good things to consider...

So Guys -since I don't really have interest in troll-induced conversations- how are you doing?

Do you think the interview period to be over? If so, all we have left is the waiting  :wacko:

Personally, I am counting UMD, Upenn and NYU (sigh) as lost. But I wonder about Yale: do you think NOT being invited to the Open House is a no (I guess so, but ...)?

Edited by Garyon

Hey Garyon! 

I think the interview period is definitely coming to a close (in the next two weeks ish?)  but I still have two schools that haven't contacted anyone, as far as I know.. so not totally over yet!

I'm also counting UMD as lost (also UCSD and Michigan) because I didn't get invited to the open house.  

About Yale - I don't really know about chances without an invitation, but here's some of the text from the email I was sent: "The Open House is a chance for us to learn more about your interests in linguistics, as just as importantly, for you to meet and talk with faculty members, to see Yale, and to meet the other shortlisted candidates (your potential new colleagues)."

So I don't know if that means that everyone who was shortlisted was invited or not.  Also, even if it does, there's a chance that everyone at the Open House will be crazy or royally screw up in interviews, in which case, they'll contact others. I should note, however, that as one of the invited, I really hope they don't deem us *all* crazy :P'

In the meantime, you and I can both sit and freak out over UMass together!  In the past their interviews/admissions have been really erratic so I have no idea when I should expect to hear anything from them.

About Yale - I don't really know about chances without an invitation, but here's some of the text from the email I was sent: "The Open House is a chance for us to learn more about your interests in linguistics, as just as importantly, for you to meet and talk with faculty members, to see Yale, and to meet the other shortlisted candidates (your potential new colleagues)."

Thank you for sharing this with me! I really appreciate it.  I think it is pretty clear. I guess I'll better start counting Yale as lost too. 

So I don't know if that means that everyone who was shortlisted was invited or not.  Also, even if it does, there's a chance that everyone at the Open House will be crazy or royally screw up in interviews, in which case, they'll contact others. I should note, however, that as one of the invited, I really hope they don't deem us *all* crazy :P'

In the meantime, you and I can both sit and freak out over UMass together!  In the past their interviews/admissions have been really erratic so I have no idea when I should expect to hear anything from them.

Ahahaha. I'm sure you'll do just fine! Good luck!

And yes: UMass Committee, please just let us know!! :D  :D

Should we be waiting for interview invites from them? I know I asked this already and I recall onze was kind enough to provide some kind of info over this, but I'm writing from my phone right now and I just can't find the post! :rolleyes:

Also Chiki, you are currently at Umass, aren't you? Can you provide us with some info on how the process is going?

Edited by Garyon

Do you think the interview period to be over? If so, all we have left is the waiting  :wacko:

Personally, I am counting UMD, Upenn and NYU (sigh) as lost. But I wonder about Yale: do you think NOT being invited to the Open House is a no (I guess so, but ...)?

I have to say, at this point in my application cycle I think I had only heard back from one school. There are still quite a few schools that will take another few weeks to finalize their decisions. 

Re: interviews/open house visits, it depends on the school and situation. If you know the school interviews all its candidates pre-acceptance (I believe Stanford and Harvard might be good examples, though my information is somewhat outdated), then not getting an interview invitation probably means you are out of luck. Some schools only interview people unofficially to follow up on anything that wasn't clear in the application, so the interview is not an integral part of the process and not getting one doesn't necessarily mean anything. Same for campus visits; I think some schools have funding issues and may not invite people from very far away, but I imagine that in that case they may want to talk on Skype. It's probably not a good sign if you know invitations have been sent out and you didn't get one. However, hard as it is, at this point you have to keep the hope alive, until you know otherwise.

However, hard as it is, at this point you have to keep the hope alive, until you know otherwise.

Thank you, you are right!

To be fair, I am really excited and grateful about Stony Brook (No matter what, I will do a Ph.D. in linguistics! I've been dreaming about this for almost two years!).

It's just hard not knowing about the others.

Looks like Georgetown is sending out their admission this week.

Just saw one from the result page

carmen7077 I've also seen it! What's your concentration? I'm also wondering about the concentration of other two people who have been accepted.

Edited by magnoliaman

carmen7077 I've also seen it! What's your concentration? I'm also wondering about the concentration of other two people who have been accepted.

Hi, I'm in the applied strand. Heard that both socio and computational people have got their admission. Feel stressed out....

Hi, I'm in the applied strand. Heard that both socio and computational people have got their admission. Feel stressed out....

I'm in socio and haven't heard back from Georgetown yet. Assuming the worst,  looks like Michigan, UPenn and Georgetown are all out :(