One month until moving, last minute tips??

oceanlover

I've found a place to stay, completed required paperwork, and am now a month away from moving for grad school! Time has been passing painstakingly slow, any tips for surviving this last month? What are you guys doing to prepare in these last couple weeks? I'm getting super bored sitting at home and really anxious to start school!

I'd relax, too. You seem to have everything under control, so take some time for yourself. Do something fun with your family or friends, it may be the last time you see them in a while. Hike around your environment, go camping, take pictures and make some memories to take with you.

Relax as much as possible.  I don't know how far your move is, but mine was a pain in the ass.  30% due to moving across country 70% due to moving across country with cats. 

I'm moving down with cats, too! And am not really looking forward to it.  :blink:

Relax as much as possible.  I don't know how far your move is, but mine was a pain in the ass.  30% due to moving across country 70% due to moving across country with cats. 

I'm only moving 6 hours across my home state, but I am dreading the car ride with my cat so much. I've taken her on short trips (under 2 hours) and they have been hell. I was stupid enough during my last trip to let her roam the car freely. She ended up crawling under my driver's seat and screaming/crying the entire time.  Getting her out from under there was an utter nightmare and I almost crushed her moving my seat forward. It was horrible. I'm currently looking into "natural" calming agents (and actually putting her in her carrier!), and in a worst case scenario, I'll be talking to her vet about dosing her for some children's benadryl.

Beyond the important stuff, like relaxing and enjoying time with friends & family, this can be a good time to get organized and get excited about your new adventure! Plan your schedule, make a budget, research your new town, etc. Getting organized with packing will also pay dividends; my suggestion is to make a master list of what's in each (labelled) box.

Label your boxes (room name, numbered, by type of stuff) and have a "master packing list" (what's in what box). Even if you have a perfect system, it's always possible that you'll get to your new place and boxes will be piled in a corner of one room (or shoved into a closet) and this can help you get unpacked efficiently.

Other than that, get a sense of where you'll be living. Shopping areas, restaurants, museums (and other entertainment sources) and spend some time on google maps street view. It's much easier to get used to a new place if you can "explore" a bit first.

• 3 months later...

I see a lot of advices on taking it easy, but are your belongings packed? Unless you're hiring a moving company to do all the packing, you better get started as soon as possible.

As far as last minute tips go, I'd suggest to write down all you meter reading. Also leave a list of numbers of all your utility companies. The new tenants will appreciate it. I read the last moving tip on this checklist. I'm moving to Fulham soon and I'll definitely leave such a list at my, soon to be, old house.

Did you update your social media status? I think that is also a good idea :)

Be glad you have so much time left doing... well, almost nothing. Take time to make memories to take with you, as alaskagirls said.

We've had less than a month to pack, organize the move, move everything then start unpacking. With 2 kids and all their school and personal stuff, plus my school stuff (that is a lot!), believe me, the time was really short. It practically was around 3 weeks if I remember correctly. And no movers, only our close few friends (many other friends were vacationing here and there) and we. I know our move was closer, only one county and a few cities away, but painful nevertheless.