Guest guest

St. Louis, MO

What does everyone think about their PHD program? Likes/dislikes, favorite professors, least favorite professors?

Attractiveness of the city?

A friend of mine finished her PhD there about two years ago. She only had nice things to say about the program- and William Wallace is top notch.

What does everyone think about their PHD program? Likes/dislikes, favorite professors, least favorite professors?

Attractiveness of the city?

My two cents on the faculty would be: Miller is very easy to know and very helpful, DeRoo was stressed out all the time and scared all my friends away, Wallace loves talking about fig leafs and penises and tended to meander in class, Rotroff is a nerd's nerd and Klein and Childs are married and are both giants. Eckmann is very serious but available and Koepnick is a great lecturer. Miller and Koepnick were my favorites but I'm also a modernist so I'm biased. I loved St. Louis as it's easy to know and big enough to stay interesting. Wash U has tons of money and the Pulitzer and St. Louis Art Museum aren't to be scoffed at. I would go back in a heart beat but my interests don't align with the faculty.

Can anyone tell me a bit more about Central West End (and more specifically, about crime)?

The Central West End is an ideal place to live if you'll be working on the medical campus. There are a lot of great places to live, and it's a very friendly, "hip" community (as hip as medical and graduate students can be, at least). It's a bit on the pricier end, but it's possible to get a reasonable 1-bedroom for $700 (everything except cable/internet).

As for crime, the big issue in St. Louis is with car break-ins. If you do have a car, I would highly recommend garage parking or at least a gated lot. Don't ever leave any valuables in sight. I've never personally had my car broken into (not that there's anything they could steal anyway, though it is a nice newer car), but it's happened to at least 2 people I know in the 1 year I've been here.

I've never heard of anybody getting mugged or anything like that. I feel safe walking home at night; however, I am a 6'2" guy. I'd probably feel less safe as a girl. The police on campus have a system where you can call them if you feel unsafe walking home and they'll give you a ride anywhere in the CWE at any time of the night. Sometimes people just use it when they don't feel like walking back after a long night of studying :P.

As for the queer-friendly comment...it's not San Francisco, but it's about as queer-friendly as you're going to find in the midwest. It's a typical liberal university community. I have never seen any sort of gay bashing. It's not like Missouri is the Deep South :)

So, who's moving to St Louis? I am pretty sure that's where I'll be next year (although not 100%)

Also, I was wondering: downtown is a REALLY bad area, right? Because I was considering living in one of the apartment complexes, but most of them are downtown (east downtown).

Edited by adinutzyc

So, who's moving to St Louis?

I am. I accepted an offer for the Philosophy-neuroscience-psychology PhD at Wash U. Im moving with my fiancee and we are looking to move near the Danforth campus either in Clayton (DeMun area), CWE (skinker/DeBaliviere), and U-City loop. Anyone know if I should stay away from off-campus Quadrangle housing or stick with craigslist? Quadrangle seems to have the best locations (proximity), but Ive heard bad things about the buildings, repairs, and management. Anyone rent from Barron Realty?

I really wanted to live in a cooler apartment than the University owned ones, but I will probably decide to go with one of them for my first year. I was looking for an apartment that was furnished, somewhere maybe in the Clayton area, but I am in NY state right now, and it would be difficult to look for apartments/visit etc..

Hello fellow wannabes.

I just received email notification that I was waitlisted by the school that would've made my girlish dreams come true. My top school. My dream school. THAT school.

While I'm glad I know something definite -- the waiting was killing me -- I really don't know what this means. When I clear my head a little bit, I'm going to craft an email to the DGS, ask about my 'rank' and explain my continued interest in the program or whatever (anything else I should add?). But for right now, I just want to wallow a little bit.

Can you help me by telling me your success stories about being accepted from the waitlist? I want to know that all is not over. That's not the fat lady singing in the corner, it's just the TV. RIGHT?

I lived in St. Louis for 6 years in a variety of places, including Quadrangle. I LOVEEED IT. The most affordable city with so many parks and free cultural events.

Quadrangle Housing is convenient but you can do much better with a little research. I lived on Demun, Clayton above a coffeeshop, 20 minute pleasant walk, 10 minutes biking. 2 bedroom was $750/month. I walked 20 minutes to the grocery store too regularly. I briefly lived on the outskirts of CWE in a studio sublet for $300/month and I needed my car. After I started working at the Medical campus I moved to South City above another coffeeshop into an enormous 2 bedroom/2 master bath/wifi/laundry in unit/modern kitchen for $800/month. I alternated taking a bus/Metro combo and driving. I never had any problems.

Wonderful parks: Forest Park, Tower Grove Park, Shaw Park.

(I'm 28, white male, and I have lived in St. Louis most of my life. I have also lived in Columbia MO and Beijing PRC.)

A few things about St. Louis:

Good Luck.

You wouldn't have by chance studied abroad in Beijing with the TBC program through SLU, would you???

So, who's moving to St Louis? I am pretty sure that's where I'll be next year (although not 100%)

Also, I was wondering: downtown is a REALLY bad area, right? Because I was considering living in one of the apartment complexes, but most of them are downtown (east downtown).

Where are you considering to live in downtown? Downtown StL is not "REALLY bad," but you might have to adjust to sirens throughout the night. I lived on-campus when I attended SLU, and I felt safe on campus. A few blocks outside of campus though, I definitely would not suggest you venture out to, especially after dark. St. Louis was named "Most Dangerous City" because of East St. Louis, so anyplace in that direction is a bad idea. There is a lot of nightlife in the heart of downtown St. Louis, so generally not too dangerous as well. If you get a chance to visit before you move, it's pretty obvious when you drive around what's safe/not (drive around after dark too. With your windows up. With another person).

Edited by leica818

My wife and I have lived downtown for the last two years and it's been pretty cool. We have a loft about 2 miles from SLU's campus. I happen to attend the graduate program at UMSL so I just walk down to the Metro and ride out to campus. It's been great. I hardly ever drive my car because of the convenience of the Metro. I've never felt unsafe here (and I ride the metro 3-5 days a week sometimes at night). There's security at most of the Metro stations. Most of the crime involves car-break-ins. At least once a month during the summer someone's car gets broken into on our street. We keep our car in a gated parking lot and we've had no trouble at all. There are plenty of affordable lofts/apartments/condos downtown if that's your thing and many are close to the metro.

A classmate of mine and I have not heard back from WUSTL yet, and we noticed that there have been accepts, rejects, and wait lists on the results feed. Additionally, we e-mailed them two weeks ago (since we assumed we were implicit rejected, and we wanted to know), and no response.

Has anyone else had similar problems with them?

Exact same thing for me. I e-mailed them on Friday morning because I already have a funded offer elsewhere, but nothing back yet.

I got PhD offers from WUSTL and Rice. They have same major ranks. And both provide the same amount of stipend. <BR>My field is mainly on theory, so after graduation, I may have very little opportunity to work in industry. <BR>Which school do you think is a better choice? Thanks

Edited by geo1115

Hi guys! Any hotel recommendations in STL? Conditions: cheap, clean, and safe? I need to head over there in May/June to look for apartments, and I'll need a place to stay...

I just went to St. Louis about 2 weeks ago to visit UMSL. I stayed at the Ramada Inn up near the airport. It was a dump. Damn cheap ($90 for room and rental car from expedia), but it was disgusting. I'd spring the $$ for something much nicer. I wanted to stay at the Marriott, but they weren't accepting my rewards points. Sorry I can't recommend anything, but avoid the Ramada at all costs.

On a side note....I'm still considering UMSL. I visited campus, but I wasn't in the city for more than 30 hours. How safe is it? I would likely live on campus in their grad apartments. I assume a car is almost necessary in SL.

I did like the University, but wasn't keen on the city. Deciding between there and Long Beach, CA.