NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious... what exactly would happen if someone was awarded the fellowship but wasn't accepted to any schools? Obviously you can't receive it if you aren't enrolled anywhere, but really, what would someone do? Call up the programs he/she was rejected from and ask them to reconsider due to the funding? I feel like this isn't likely to happen, but it's a possibility.

I'm curious... what exactly would happen if someone was awarded the fellowship but wasn't accepted to any schools? Obviously you can't receive it if you aren't enrolled anywhere, but really, what would someone do? Call up the programs he/she was rejected from and ask them to reconsider due to the funding? I feel like this isn't likely to happen, but it's a possibility.

That's exactly what you should do. I'd be shocked if someone won the GRF  but couldn't find a home AFTER getting the award. The biggest reason for a candidate getting rejected is funding,minimum standards are actually really low relatively. 

I actually know at least one person that this happened to. He only applied to a few top tier schools and got rejected from all of them but received the GRFP. So he emailed prospective POIs to see if they had a spot in their group, and at least one of them very enthusiastically welcomed him into their lab.

Edited by tulips

Good to know, GeoDUDE and tulips. I have two great worries for this application season. 1) I will get acceptances without funding but no GRFP, and 2) I will get all rejections but will receive the GRFP. At least now I can not worry about the second.

I actually know at least one person that this happened to. He only applied to a few top tier schools and got rejected from all of them but received the GRFP. So he emailed prospective POIs to see if they had a spot in their group, and at least one of them very enthusiastically welcomed him into their lab.

Good to know, GeoDUDE and tulips. I have two great worries for this application season. 1) I will get acceptances without funding but no GRFP, and 2) I will get all rejections but will receive the GRFP. At least now I can not worry about the second.

Actually, now that I think about it, my friend applied to only 1 school (top 5) for graduate school last year and had not gotten in by April. He wasn't rejected or anything, but admissions offers had obviously already gone out. He won both the GRFP and Ford fellowship and he let them know and the next email was an acceptance. So yeah. 

If you receive the GRFP and have to decline it due to admissions, do you have a strong chance of winning it the following year? Has anyone had this experience? It seems like you could mention that in your personal statement but I'm not sure how much it would matter. 

If you receive the GRFP and have to decline it due to admissions, do you have a strong chance of winning it the following year? Has anyone had this experience? It seems like you could mention that in your personal statement but I'm not sure how much it would matter. 

I don't think this happens, though. As GeoDUDE! and others have mentioned, once you have a GRFP in hand, you're likely to be welcomed by many schools, since you have your own funding.

I don't think this happens, though. As GeoDUDE! and others have mentioned, once you have a GRFP in hand, you're likely to be welcomed by many schools, since you have your own funding.

From what I've heard, many schools will reconsider admissions decisions if you get NSF GRFP, both because of the money and what it says about your quality as an applicant. 

I'm just going to leave this here. T-~5 weeks.

2014: Tuesday, April 1, 2014 @ 2:00 AM

2013 : Friday, March 29, 2013 @ ~2:00AM

2012: Friday, April 1, 2012 @ ~2:00AM

2011: Tuesday, April 5, 2011 @ ~12:50AM

2010: Tuesday, April 6, 2010 @ ~1:00AM

2009: Friday, April 10, 2009 @ ~1:00AM

2008: Tuesday, April 1, 2008 @ ~2:00AM

2007: Monday, March 23. 2007 @ ~11:20 PM

Do you think they know who won already and the names are sitting in a spreadsheet waiting or are they still making decisions? I know it really doesn't matter.....but at some point they have to make choices and I bet some people have been picked already

I know a professor who was actually on a NSF committee.  I should've asked her when they started reading grants.  I know that they first have to take "courses" where the idea is to sync everyone's rating system.  It obviously doesn't work very well, but they try.