NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

I'm curious how the fellowship can help with networking. Would you have not networked the same way otherwise, without the fellowship? Do you say, "Hi I'm an NSF fellow". It doesn't seem like it would be something that comes up in day-to-day networking and collaboration. 

I'm hopeful for the time-freedom most. It would also create some social accountability for me in doing great work. Success breeds success! I'm a long-shot though. :) 

I'm curious how the fellowship can help with networking. Would you have not networked the same way otherwise, without the fellowship? Do you say, "Hi I'm an NSF fellow". It doesn't seem like it would be something that comes up in day-to-day networking and collaboration. 

I'm hopeful for the time-freedom most. It would also create some social accountability for me in doing great work. Success breeds success! I'm a long-shot though. :)

I started doing a lot of educational outreach and departmental events in grad school. The fact that I was the first (also female) awardee of my subfield at my school has given my voice a little more weight. I have since contributed to NSF GRFP writing workshops etc., that means more connections within the Graduate School. I have no teaching duty as a fellow so I have more time for professional developments etc. I never mentioned being a fellow, but trust me that kind of prestige spreads far enough. 

I have had my fair share of travel grants+fellowship applications. I would say everyone is a long shot :)

Out of curiosity why do you want the NSF GRFP most? Is it the prestige, security of funds, ability to have more freedom in your research, increase in stipend amount, all of the above?

My advisor's grant funding is spotty right now, but I am guaranteed TA funding in my program. However, it sucks not knowing from quarter to quarter whether I'll be an RA or TA (although I can't really complain, since I know some grad students aren't funded at all). Mainly, I'd want the NSF for the time and freedom it will give me to do my research.

The stipend increase is also nice, but not necessary (especially since I'm living in Seattle, where the cost of living can be ridiculous).

I applied for the GRF mainly for the prestige that comes along with being an NSF fellow. Secondarily, I applied for the raise. My boyfriend and I, both grad students, are trying to save for a house. That extra 14k-year would make for a killer down payment!

I had a nightmare last night that I didn't get it, and the reviewers made me feel awful about my proposal. They gave me a bunch of "poor" rankings and said it was a waste of time and money. Fairly upsetting.

Two more weeks.

I had a nightmare last night that I didn't get it, and the reviewers made me feel awful about my proposal. They gave me a bunch of "poor" rankings and said it was a waste of time and money. Fairly upsetting.

I had a nightmare last night too! I saw on here that results came out but my email and the NSF page wouldn't load, and no one would look up my name for me...this is getting ridiculous. 

The NSF grant looks AMAZING on a CV and will get your named bumped up the ladder when applying for jobs in the future.  It also lets your department know that you're a serious student.  Hell, I've gotten more respect just by applying. 

Edited to add: The fastlane website is down and my first reaction was : OMG! Maybe it's down because they're changing all the statuses.  :lol: Yeah, right. 

Edited by geographyrocks

The NSF grant looks AMAZING on a CV and will get your named bumped up the ladder when applying for jobs in the future.  It also lets your department know that you're a serious student.  Hell, I've gotten more respect just by applying. 

Edited to add: The fastlane website is down and my first reaction was : OMG! Maybe it's down because they're changing all the statuses.  :lol: Yeah, right. 

I noticed it was down last night as well.  Now when I log in, it says my application is unsubmitted.  I mean, I got the email months ago indicating that it was submitted, do you think this is just some limbo period?  Kind of freaked me out for a minute.

Odd.  My application still says "received", no issues getting to the website just now.  I wouldn't worry - it's probably just a temporary issue related to the outage that they're working on.

Yeah, Fastlane seems to be working again (for me, at least)--it's pretty startling when it's down for maintenance...this is going to be a tense next couple of weeks. :wacko:

Edited by M4ss5pec

fastlane is down for me, did we know it was going to be down today? (not like it matters that much!!)

There was something on the alerts page last time it was up about "some people might notice intermittent outages." It's probably related to other grants.

There was something on the alerts page last time it was up about "some people might notice intermittent outages." It's probably related to other grants.

That's what I would figure.  They use fastlane for lots of other grants, as someone else pointed out earlier in the thread.  I think it's a bit too early to worry about, we probably have at least another 2-3 weeks of waiting.

FYI, the stipend is raised to 34K, retroactive to this year. It's official although not yet announced.

:)

What's your source?  Also, what do you mean by retroactive to this year?

I wouldn't count on this...if you look up what NSF got from their proposed budget they did not get as much as they wanted for the NSF GRFP program.  http://news.sciencemag.org/funding/2014/12/nsf-s-2015-budget-small-increase-and-big-pat-back