NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

It will likely be in April. I know a professor who will be on a panel on 03/30, 03/31, and 04/01.

For the GRFP? If it's just another NSF panel, then NSF can have other panels during that time, they award many grants. 

Not disagreeing that it will likely be in April, but I'm struggling to understand your logic.

It will likely be in April. I know a professor who will be on a panel on 03/30, 03/31, and 04/01.

I doubt it is for the GRFP. Decisions have likely already been made for that if they plan to release in early April. They just wait on releasing it so it doesn't interfere with admission decisions.

Hey guys, new member.  I got an honorable mention last year and beefed up my proposal quite a bit for this year so hopefully everything works out!  Anxiously waiting just like everyone else.  Last night I had a dream that I received the email, but when I woke up my inbox was still empty unfortunately.  I've been checking it constantly for the past week or so. 

I doubt it is for the GRFP. Decisions have likely already been made for that if they plan to release in early April. They just wait on releasing it so it doesn't interfere with admission decisions.

Its cruel ....

That isn't for the GRFP. Many of my professors have sat on the panels for the GRFP and they are held either in December or January. If I remember correctly, it is all done via internet now and the professors don't travel. This was to reduce cost. 

That isn't for the GRFP. Many of my professors have sat on the panels for the GRFP and they are held either in December or January. If I remember correctly, it is all done via internet now and the professors don't travel. This was to reduce cost. 

True but isnt there a "final panel" consisting of more senior reviewers that reviews the recommendations from DEC/JAN ? This is what I was told from a past panelist and my impression is that this took place a few weeks ago

Edited by giants418

True but isnt there a "final panel" consisting of more senior reviewers that reviews the recommendations from DEC/JAN ? This is what I was told from a past panelist and my impression is that this took place a few weeks ago

It's possible that there is a "final panel". I guess their role would be to rule on applications that were borderline for the award, which is probably based on what funding the NSF will receive from the federal budget. So it wouldn't surprise me if that panel "met" a few weeks ago. The past panelists didn't mention this to me and they acted as the head of a section a few years ago. 

Is there anywhere that elaborates on their rationale for this? Most of the faculty that I've spoken with have expressed frustrations that it doesn't come out sooner.

Is there anywhere that elaborates on their rationale for this? Most of the faculty that I've spoken with have expressed frustrations that it doesn't come out sooner.

I don't believe that they make decisions in early February and then "sit on them".  The committees generally review the applications in January/February.  They then have to go to another person/group of people where diversity standards are met (ie different disciplines).  Then I believe it has to go to yet another committee/person/group of people to pick the finalists and honorable mentions.  THEN I think it needs to be approved by some director person. 

This is put together from various discussions I've had with people who have sat on committees.  The NSF gives out a quite a bit of money which originally comes from funding from the government.  This means that there are A LOT of checks and balances.  I bet we'd be amazed by how many people our applications have to go through after they are initially graded. 

I forgot to add all of the administrative work that must go into this.  Lists to be made and such.  That takes a bit of time as well. 

Edited by geographyrocks

Everyone in this thread when the notifications don't come out today.

True.

Based on previous years, I'm expecting either (all early morning): Friday 3/27, Tuesday 3/31, or Friday 4/3... But, as with all things NSF it could be ????

My guess is Tuesday, but I did hear that on the day they are planning to put out the awards, Fastlane will be "down" from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. See threads from previous years. So once we see that, it is probably an indication that the results will be out around 3 a.m.!

Yes, Fastlane usually goes "down" for a long stretch of hours before they post the results.

The year I got it (2010) they send the notifications out at 1 am on a Tuesday (April 6). I would think that this week would be too early, and that they would release them either next week or the week after. But who knows?

to the people who have received it before - does the email come before we are actually able to check the site?  and is the email from

grfp@nsf.gov?

to the people who have received it before - does the email come before we are actually able to check the site?  and is the email from

grfp@nsf.gov?

The email, whether you receive the award or not, comes from info@nsfgrfp.org.

EDIT: And you can actually see your status (and the list of awardees) on the site before you receive the email, but it's hard to get on with all the people trying to log on at once.

Edited by stmwap

EDIT: And you can actually see your status (and the list of awardees) on the site before you receive the email, but it's hard to get on with all the people trying to log on at once.

I know this is trivial, but what does "Final Status:" say when you get it? Awarded? and I suppose probably "Rejected" if not?

If the list is posted online beforehand, how long does it take the emails to go out after that initial reveal?

Also, thanks to the vets for answering the calls of our anxiety and inexperience. You make our wait at least a bit more tolerable. :P

I'd like to second that bit of unsolicited advice: the only thing worse than facing your crushed dreams is facing them at 3 or 4 in the morning, alone. Not to be a downer, but most of our dreams will (again) be crushed! and it's easier to deal with in the morning when other humans are awake to whine to/help you put your situation in perspective. I regretted staying up last year--especially because besides feeling awful about not receiving the award, the following day was a dud--I was too exhausted to get anything substantial done, which didn't make me feel any better. Take care of yourselves first and foremost!