NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

WHAT IS CONCENTRATE

I think that's when they take the water out of juice, yeah?

I'm trying to convince myself I didn't get it so that i'll be able to sleep tonight (and maybe be pleasantly surprised in the morning!) 

I should mention this plan is not working well thus far.

Your award status from last year will have little effect on your award status this year. You will get new reviewers and be compared against a different group of applicants. However, you can still think positively that your application was liked last year and this year's can only be an improvement.

But a lot of the GRF really is luck in who your reviewers are. This can be frustrating, because you feel like it's unfair. But at the same time, if you don't get it, you can also attribute some of that to bad luck. I feel like it's one of the few cases where you can really say a lot of the result is luck based (of course you have to have some merit behind it, so I'm not disregarding that). This is something to keep in mind as the results begin to come out.

Everyone keep it positive and remember to take a nap if you're going to stay up late to wait for results. :)

It's only just beginning. I'm still not even convinced that it's going to be tonight.

Not convinced?? SEVERAL sleep deprived scholars have poured over message boards and compiled the notification dates and times from previous years and have come back to us with the conclusion that our fate awaits us at 3AM this night (okay, technically tomorrow morning). Additionally, they have noted maintenance on the very same night! It must be a sign!

I wonder what a day without anxiety or stress feels like... 

Looking to procrastinate. I've been having fun looking up my last name and others in my lab group in the award offers and honorable mentions list, you can search all years at once going back to 52'. Someone with my last name and the same initials won in 2006, obviously this is a sign from the gods. I have yet to find any celebrity names. 

Looking to procrastinate. I've been having fun looking up my last name and others in my lab group in the award offers and honorable mentions list, you can search all years at once going back to 52'. Someone with my last name and the same initials won in 2006, obviously this is a sign from the gods. I have yet to find any celebrity names.

Haha I was totally looking up awardees with my last name yesterday. I didn't try with my first and middle initials, though.

I am beyond nervous. I really don't like thinking about it because I know there is such a small chance of getting it...

The outcome of this decides which of the two schools I'll go to! Anyone else in that boat? 

Also, does anyone if your discipline makes a difference? That is, if (for example) biology has a lot of applicants, do they get a proportional amount of awards?

Here's an interesting question I hadn't really thought about. If I were lucky enough to be awarded the fellowship, I'd heard before that changing among related fields of study wasn't hard. However, while procrastinating today by reading the FAQ, I noticed that they don't seem to look too kindly on changes of major field of study. Unfortunately, I applied in Neuroscience (which falls under biology) and will be attending a Psychology program, so even though the programs are similar, they are under different NSF categories. Anybody heard stories of successful or unsuccessful changes of this sort? May not be worth me stressing and staying up tonight if I couldn't use the fellowship anyway...

Here's an interesting question I hadn't really thought about. If I were lucky enough to be awarded the fellowship, I'd heard before that changing among related fields of study wasn't hard. However, while procrastinating today by reading the FAQ, I noticed that they don't seem to look too kindly on changes of major field of study. Unfortunately, I applied in Neuroscience (which falls under biology) and will be attending a Psychology program, so even though the programs are similar, they are under different NSF categories. Anybody heard stories of successful or unsuccessful changes of this sort? May not be worth me stressing and staying up tonight if I couldn't use the fellowship anyway...

I am in the same boat! In my second year in a clinical psych program but in a clinical neuroscience lab and applied under the neuroscience NSF focus. Hopefully reviewers see the fields of psychology and neuroscience as entwined, especially studying macrobiological phenomena at the level of neuroimaging. Good luck, at least you're Stanford-bound! Edited by psharp1289

I am in the same boat! In my second year in a clinical psych program but in a clinical neuroscience lab and applied under the neuroscience NSF focus. Hopefully reviewers see the fields of psychology and neuroscience as entwined, especially studying macrobiological phenomena at the level of neuroimaging. Good luck, at least you're Stanford-bound!

Also similarly curious. Applied for chemical engineering programs and am attending a nuclear engineering program. I guess since they're both engineering that won't be an issue though, actually.

Edited by Argon

I've already committed myself to attending a Ph.D. under research assistantship (RA).

In an unlikely case where I do receive NSF, does that replace my RA funding?

I've already committed myself to attending a Ph.D. under research assistantship (RA).

This depends on how your department handles your funds. Some will say you are exempt from RA or TA duties while others might say that your stipend and the $12,000 toward tuition isn't enough. I have a few friends in other departments that had to still TA even though they received a fellowship (this might be due to the fact that we attend a very expensive private university).

Yes. I'm moving to a RA in the summer from a TA unless I get the NSF. My advisor will then have that money available for who knows what.

Edited to add: I'm at a public university and as the above poster pointed out, it would be different at a private university.

Edited by geographyrocks

I could barely sleep last night. When I did fall asleep, I had two separate dreams that I got it. Good vibes, or unfortunate boost of hope?

I dreamed about it too! I wonder how many dozens of grad students dreamed the exact same thing last night.... 

Gaaahhhh!!! I'm sick of this wait!

Edited by hippocamper

Also, does anyone if your discipline makes a difference? That is, if (for example) biology has a lot of applicants, do they get a proportional amount of awards?

A few pages back, someone mentioned that the number of awards per discipline is proportional to the number of applicants in the discipline. I recall reading that on a website, too. I'm not sure how specific it is, though. That is, the number of awards for life sciences in general may be proportional, or the subfields like ecology, molecular biology, etc. may be proportional.

I dreamed about it too! I wonder how many dozens of grad students dreamed the exact same thing last night.... 

Gaaahhhh!!! I'm sick of this wait!

I had a dream that I didn't get it.... I'll call it a nightmare. 

This is one of the few times I can appreciate the 6 hour time difference between Hawaii and the east coast. When the results come out at 2 - 3 am EST, it'll still be 20:00 or 21:00 on Monday here.  :D

(EDIT: or whenever the results come out. Still trying to not get my hopes up that it will be tonight)

Edited by katsharki3